Close the opening

Monkey Turned Wolf

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
There are different level of MA training:

1. You make a mistake, but you don't even notice it.
2. You make a mistake, you know your mistake, and you try to fix it.
3. You intentional make a mistake, draw your opponent in, and take advantage on it.

To "seal the gap (close the opening)" is a very important MA concept.
Yup. My version is:
1.You don't know the rules, so you break them.
2. You learn the rules.
3. You know the rules, so you break them.

A lot of people get stuck in step 2, and don't understand the difference between steps 1 and 3.

drop bear

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
When he moves in under his opponent's left hook, without using right hand to push away his opponent's left elbow, did he just walk into his opponent's reverse head lock (guillotine)?

No. Because the defence to a Guillotine is posture.

OP
Kung Fu Wang

Kung Fu Wang

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
When I trained "low right hook, middle right hook, high right hook" combo, I asked my teacher why did I throw 3 hook punch by using the same arm. My teacher said,

- When you throw your 1st hook, your opponent will hook punch through your opening.
- You then throw your 2nd hook through his opening, He then throws his 2nd hook through your opening.
- You then throw your 3rd hook through his opening, He then throws his 3rd hook through your opening.

OP
Kung Fu Wang

Kung Fu Wang

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
No. Because the defence to a Guillotine is posture.
When you enter under your opponent's hook punch, you just create some opening on yourself that you need to close it.

When you move in under your opponent's hook, if your head is

- parallel to the ground, your opponent will get you in reverse head lock.
- vertical, your opponent's elbow strike will hit on the side of your head, or your opponent's back fist will hit on the top of your head.

With that free arm, your opponent has 3 options:

- reverse head lock,
- elbow strike,
- back fist.

Why do you even want to allow your opponent to have those 3 options?

JowGaWolf

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
The moment that his left arm downward parry miss the contact, the moment that he should change his downward parry (or wrist grab) into an arm wrap (back fist, outward block, or comb hair).

my-parry-wrap-head-lock-2.gif

Comb hair.

comb-hair.jpg
Considering the position that his body was in. Which one do you technique do you thing was possible to pull off?

OP
Kung Fu Wang

Kung Fu Wang

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Considering the position that his body was in. Which one do you technique do you thing was possible to pull off?
- I'll land my left foot on the outside of Gung Li's right leg.
- My left arm will change into a back fist (or arm wrap).
- My right hook will hit on the left side of Gung Li's head.
- My right leg will slant cut Gung Li's right leg.

Gung Li's right hook will give me an excellent chance to use my left arm to wrap over his right arm (to obtain a successful clinch that I'm looking for).

I use my left hook (fake opening) to invite my opponent's right hook. That is my plan.

Gung-l-I-circular-punch.gif

This is slant cut.

Lin-slant-cut-1.gif

JowGaWolf

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
I don't know these people, nor did I see any more of this fight than is in the gif. I was trusting that @Kung Fu Wang made an accurate assessment that the person on the right is throwing a punch, and then left the opening. That was my mistake.
The guy on the left is Cung Le. he's the one that threw the knock out punch. I originally thought the his opponent was throwing a hook too but had to watch multiple times in slow motion because it looked like a funny hook. That when I saw that he had a fist and opened it to grab the guard. From the kick on, it looked like his opponent was spooked Like he's literally all twisted up before he even gets hit. I'm not sure if his brain tried to make the body do too many things at once. Like try to move backwards while the body is moving forward, having the parry over extend as if he's trying to parry and hook at the same time. Whatever it was, something had him shook. I would have to watch to see what happened before the kick. It's almost like he didn't follow through. Like how some people punch and then try to back out of the punch while firing the punch,

you're changing the word, but the effect is the same. You're "luring" a hit to come where you left the opening, or you're "expecting" a hit to come where you left the opening.
The way I was taught is that these two words are not the same thing.

I was always taught not to "expect" but to "lure"
This is the definition I'm using for lure - "something that tempts or is used to tempt a person or animal to do something."
This is the definition of how I see expect -"regard (someone) as likely to do or be something."

I expect that a rate will follow the scent of food. I can lure a rat through a maze of my design if I use food. The expectation is that a rat would follow food. The lure is that I can make the rat go where I want it to go, for food. Even if it's not in the rat's best interest, such as a rat trap.

Think of the mouse as a Boxer Red and the Trap as boxer Blue. Boxer blue present's a fake opening that is going to trigger natural human response of "I see an opening, I'm going to go for it." But Boxer Red can tell that Boxer Blue is trying to lure Red by appearing to be wide open. Because Red sees the lure and the trap. He avoids the trap. He doesn't try to grab the bait because it's a no win situation. Instead he comes up with a plan to trigger the trap, which gives a real opening that can be exploited.

JowGaWolf

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Except, your head isn't open. Your head is back, out of range. Even if he were to lean in, you're covering your chin with your hand.
I'm only in that position because I kicked. Had I not kicked, then my head would be in danger. The guy below (not me) did the exact same punch that I did in the video. This what I would look like without the kick. The only difference is that I train this punch where I use my rear hand to provide light cover. This is a real opening especially because he does not use the covering hand.. Even if I'm going to use my covering hand, there is a gap between after I punch and when my covering hand gets there. The covering hand is always like a last resort. The purpose of the covering hand is often to prevent receiving the full force of an attack so your hand absorbs some of the force of a punch and your face absorbs what is left over. At the best, the covering hand will trick your opponent not to attack just long enough for you to get in a better situation.
upload_2021-1-15_16-35-50.png

JowGaWolf

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
You guys are going way too complicated on this. If you leave/draw an opening, that means you've got a plan to react to it. Which means you won't have to think if they fall for it. Which means you're more likely to succeed. Just make sure they're not way faster or trickier than you, or it'll backfire.
I never think about the ones I do. I just do it. Follow the plan. I already know what's the plan is. There's nothing for me to figure out, which is how it should be. Not just for me, but for anyone trying to lure someone in. I also know that my opponent will react to it, and that the he's the one who needs to figure things out. Like that mouse that threw that rock to trigger the trap.

JowGaWolf

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
- I'll land my left foot on the outside of Gung Li's right leg.
- My left arm will change into a back fist (or arm wrap).
- My right hook will hit on the left side of Gung Li's head.
- My right leg will slant cut Gung Li's right leg.

Gung Li's right hook will give me an excellent chance to use my left arm to wrap over his right arm (to obtain a successful clinch that I'm looking for).

I use my left hook (fake opening) to invite my opponent's right hook. That is my plan.

Gung-l-I-circular-punch.gif

This is slant cut.

Lin-slant-cut-1.gif

No hope for him then. lol. Technique not found in boxing. The slant cut looks very similar to one of techniques in a form that I train. look @ 1:05 in the video. I notice Jow Ga removes a lot of the angles from the techniques in the form. But in application the angle has to be added. I wonder this is one of those cases. Where the angle was removed. from 1:05.

drop bear

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
When you enter under your opponent's hook punch, you just create some opening on yourself that you need to close it.

When you move in under your opponent's hook, if your head is

- parallel to the ground, your opponent will get you in reverse head lock.
- vertical, your opponent's elbow strike will hit on the side of your head, or your opponent's back fist will hit on the top of your head.

With that free arm, your opponent has 3 options:

- reverse head lock,
- elbow strike,
- back fist.

Why do you even want to allow your opponent to have those 3 options?

You head is past the arm though.

JowGaWolf

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
When he moves in under his opponent's left hook, without using right hand to push away his opponent's left elbow, did he just walk into his opponent's reverse head lock (guillotine)?
It may not be high risk unless a person trains the scenario "what do I do if a person goes under my Hook? If person trains that, then they can use the hook to trigger their opponent to go under the hook.

OP
Kung Fu Wang

Kung Fu Wang

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
It may not be high risk unless a person trains the scenario "what do I do if a person goes under my Hook? If person trains that, then they can use the hook to trigger their opponent to go under the hook.
This is why for any MA skill, one should learn many levels in depth.

How to

1. use it - hook punch.
2. counter it - dodge under a hook punch.
3. counter the counter - back fist on top the head, elbow strike on the side of the head, or reverse head lock.
4. counter the counter of the counter - use palm to push away the hook punch elbow joint.
5. counter the counter of the counter of the counter - use the other hand to push down the hand that push on your elbow joint.
6. ...

People may say, "Why make thing so complicate?" If your opponent doesn't do 4, you can skip 5.

Last edited:
OP
Kung Fu Wang

Kung Fu Wang

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
When you throw your right hook, where should be your left hand?

Your left hand is next to you

1. left shoulder so you are ready to throw your left hook.
2. right shoulder to protect the opening you have just created.

1 is strong is offense. 2 is strong in defense. Nothing is free. When you close the opening, you have to pay some price.

Latest Discussions