Clinch training

Headhunter

Senior Master
Reaction score
So tonight was the first time I've ever done any proper Muay Thai clinch work. Since I've only ever fought in boxing and kickboxing where clinch wasn't a big part and I did mma but I really didn't do any clinch training for that fight but anyway it was interesting learning how to counter the Thai clinch and how to create separation by pushing the hips back and putting your foot in between their leg (Im explaining it badly but whatever) it was a lot of fun doing that and very happy to still be learning new skills. Even though I'll never be using it in the ring it's nice to have the knowledge

marques

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
...it was a lot of fun doing that and very happy to still be learning new skills. Even though I'll never be using it in the ring it's nice to have the knowledge
Training is fun. If it makes our life better, we are already 'using it' 24h a day.

Danny T

Senior Master
Reaction score
When you say the thai clinch just what are you referring to?
There are several different 'clinches' used in thai boxing. There is the plumb, over/under, double/over, double/under, T-position inside/outside, and several variations of each.

Danny T

Senior Master
Reaction score
If your opponent uses "double neck tie" with both hands behind your neck, you can wrap both his arms along with his head inside your arms. If you can make his spine to bend side way, you can take him down from there.
Sure...and if the person holding plumb has good control of the head and can move the head downward they knee the opponent in the head. That is the clinch game just as is standing grappling. It is either one or the other who has better position & control and can attack or it's a stalemate.

Kung Fu Wang

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Sure...and if the person holding plumb has good control of the head and can move the head downward they knee the opponent in the head. That is the clinch game just as is standing grappling. It is either one or the other who has better position & control and can attack or it's a stalemate.
If your opponent holds on you head and knee you, at that moment he is standing on one leg. That's a good opportunity for a wrestler. When your opponent knees you, you can also use your knee to jam his knee, hook his rooting leg, and take him down.

If both A and B have "double neck tie" one each other, whoever can bend the other's spine "side way" will win. When your spine is bent side way by your opponent, your structure is collapsed, none of your technique and counter will work.

Last edited:

Danny T

Senior Master
Reaction score
If your opponent holds on you head and knee you, at that moment he is standing on one leg. That's a good opportunity for a wrestler. When your opponent knees you, you can also use your knee to jam his knee, hook his rooting leg, and take him down.

If both A and B have "double neck tie" one each other, whoever can bend the other's spine "side way" will win. When your spine is bent side way by your opponent, your structure is collapsed, none of your technique and counter will work.

Sure...as I stated before; "It is either one or the other who has better position & control and can attack or it's a stalemate".
We can 'if' all night long.

Kung Fu Wang

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Sure...as I stated before; "It is either one or the other who has better position & control and can attack or it's a stalemate".
We can 'if' all night long.
Whether you can borrow your opponent's force can make a big difference. In clinch, if your opponent wants to

- straight his arm, you help him to straight his arm more than he wants to.
- bend his arm, you help him to bend his arm more he wants to.

When your opponent applies "double neck tie" on you, you can sense whether his arms tries to "straight", or "bend". If you can sense that and take advantage on it, you can either

- "crack" his arm and put pressure on his elbow joint, or
- pin his arms on your chest that he can't even pull his arms away.

JP3

Master Black Belt
Supporting Member
Reaction score
So tonight was the first time I've ever done any proper Muay Thai clinch work. Since I've only ever fought in boxing and kickboxing where clinch wasn't a big part and I did mma but I really didn't do any clinch training for that fight but anyway it was interesting learning how to counter the Thai clinch and how to create separation by pushing the hips back and putting your foot in between their leg (Im explaining it badly but whatever) it was a lot of fun doing that and very happy to still be learning new skills. Even though I'll never be using it in the ring it's nice to have the knowledge
Just making sure I got that right. Never going to be using it in the ring, probably means you've no intention of getting "in" a ring, not that your clinch work is something you are never going to be using again.

Knee-work from clinch can be a big tool int he toolbox. Did you get to do any of that?

Latest Discussions