I Just Started Clinching!!!

Spartigus

White Belt
Reaction score
Hey guys!!
My training academy has 3 main classes for muay thai, one that focuses on striking and dills ect, one that focuses on clinching, and then a sparring/clinching class.

Anyway I got my gear to spar and clinch, and yesterday I had my first clinching session, it was soo much fun!! I loved every minute of it!!! Im pumped to start sparring on saturday!!

Does anyone have any advice?

Muay Thai Hackney

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
I've done a bit of clinching, and although I am by no means an expert, I have been given solid advice in the area. Never interlock your fingers because you can break your fingers and it's hard to readjust out of the clinch, apparently. Also don't be shy to mix it up with some throws. Watch Dzhabar Askerov and some Alistair Overeem fights get a sense of their technique when throwing an opponent from a Thai clinch.

You also want to jerk down on the head repeatedly for extra leverage. And that's my two cents. Or pence in my case :)

jungerkrieger

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
this is all pretty good advice one thing i might add is that in my experience in training and sparring with my size and height (6"1 170lbs) i have found it better to stay in close to the opponent when clinching and this prevents them for getting in good straight knees also if you tilt them to the side they throw the round knee to ur ribs then you can block with your elbow if that makes any sense? good luck! also use ur clinch to throw them off balance for example if the clinch on you get inside control and shove them backwards and jab them in the face!

im not sure if you should "practice" this it may be poor technique but in my experience i usually let them throw their knees and block with my arms perpendicular to my body so their knees dont hit my stomach or ribs as much

big no no!- dont bend over or drop ur head! never ever!

Latest Discussions