Clashing limbs during sparring

ThatOneCanadian

Green Belt
Reaction score
I have a huge problem when it comes to sparring. You see, I am not afraid to get hit, whether it's in the face, body, legs, etc. What I am afraid of is throwing a technique and my knee/hand/etc clashes against my opponent's. I notice that this problem is especially evident in point-based sparring in which the idea is to launch yourself at the opponent at full speed, rather than stand toe-to-toe and exchange proper hits with them. If anything, I've gotten more injuries fighting white belts in point sparring than fighting well-trained people in full-contact sparring.

What am I doing wrong if my limbs keep clashing with my opponent's limbs? And is it weird that I actually find full-contact sparring easier and less intimidating than point-based sparring due to this very issue? I always thought it should be the other way around.

Gyuki

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
QI have a huge problem when it comes to sparring. You see, I am not afraid to get hit, whether it's in the face, body, legs, etc. What I am afraid of is throwing a technique and my knee/hand/etc clashes against my opponent's. I notice that this problem is especially evident in point-based sparring in which the idea is to launch yourself at the opponent at full speed, rather than stand toe-to-toe and exchange proper hits with them. If anything, I've gotten more injuries fighting white belts in point sparring than fighting well-trained people in full-contact sparring.

What am I doing wrong if my limbs keep clashing with my opponent's limbs? And is it weird that I actually find full-contact sparring easier and less intimidating than point-based sparring due to this very issue? I always thought it should be the other way around.
Yes I can understand what you mean in regards to point sparring... To be honest I fail to understand the true goal of that exercise other then sport... I agree that it does denature the way people actually fight and change the aim to touching the opponent (sometimes with extremely bad for on the hitting limb as it is not a strike but a touch). It may help in very beginning process before going full on (as in for children or people with no experience at all) but once experience has been gained it is a game...

As per what can be done to avoid clashing the only thing I can see is the sidestep. Move sideways when opponent attacks then counter strike. This exercise may indeed help with that part. The fast sidestep. As well as how to bait opponent into a trap. I remember when doing those, that is what I figured out of it and ended up winning most of these matches. But everyone has a different approach and way of doing things...

When sparring full contact I seem to also favor this technique but do not stop after 1 strike... Neither do they if they are any good (which is what I prefer anyways so I usually bring my skills to opponent level).

Good luck to you and hope this is of any help.

skribs

Grandmaster
Reaction score
@ThatOneCanadian The nice think in TKD is you can usually add more pads. I added knee pads because I kept taking hits to the knee. One thing you can do is adjust how you chamber. If you chamber high, you're less likely to bang shins.

@Gyuki Even if your sport has full contact competitions, you're likely not going to be doing full contact sparring the majority of the time. Point sparring is a good way of conditioning you to avoid getting hit, or to hit your opponent more than they hit you.

jayoliver00

Black Belt
Reaction score
I have a huge problem when it comes to sparring. You see, I am not afraid to get hit, whether it's in the face, body, legs, etc. What I am afraid of is throwing a technique and my knee/hand/etc clashes against my opponent's.

Wear kneepads, elbow pads, shinguards, thicker gloves, etc.

Buka

Sr. Grandmaster
Staff member
MT Mentor
Reaction score
I have a huge problem when it comes to sparring. You see, I am not afraid to get hit, whether it's in the face, body, legs, etc. What I am afraid of is throwing a technique and my knee/hand/etc clashes against my opponent's. I notice that this problem is especially evident in point-based sparring in which the idea is to launch yourself at the opponent at full speed, rather than stand toe-to-toe and exchange proper hits with them. If anything, I've gotten more injuries fighting white belts in point sparring than fighting well-trained people in full-contact sparring.

Sparring with white belts is a royal pain in the butt. Unless you're teaching them how to spar.

Clashing limbs while sparring (or competing) is a matter of timing, regardless of the format or rule set. Proper point sparring is no more launching yourself at an opponent at full speed than full contact fighting is. And even if it was, it's a matter of refining timing skills.

But, yeah, banging shins into each other's shins, really sucks. Sometimes wakes you up at night, too.

jks9199

Administrator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
What specifically are you afraid of when limbs clash? Injury, getting tied up, or what?

OP
T

ThatOneCanadian

Green Belt
Reaction score
What specifically are you afraid of when limbs clash? Injury, getting tied up, or what?
All of it. It's annoying at best and injurious at worst. It completely discourages me from even sparring at all.

Wing Woo Gar

Senior Master
Reaction score
Sparring with white belts is a royal pain in the butt. Unless you're teaching them how to spar.

Clashing limbs while sparring (or competing) is a matter of timing, regardless of the format or rule set. Proper point sparring is no more launching yourself at an opponent at full speed than full contact fighting is. And even if it was, it's a matter of refining timing skills.

But, yeah, banging shins into each other's shins, really sucks. Sometimes wakes you up at night, too.
Ha ha! “ baby, we’ve been together so long, tonite, when I lay you down in the bed, I’m not even gonna give you the sticky leg.” Lmao! Say it with the Barry White voice.

Wing Woo Gar

Senior Master
Reaction score
The WC Bong Shou is an excellent tool for this. The natural bending arm curve can do this job well. This is what I like to use to deal with a powerful hook punch.
I don’t train Wing Chun, so I’m not qualified to speak to that. I have sparred some WT guys from a couple different lineages, that’s my only experience with it.

Wing Woo Gar

Senior Master
Reaction score
There aren’t many straight lines in the body. The humerus bone is already shaped in a spiral, so it doesn’t require as much supination or pronation as the lower arm or hand or thumb. These opposing torques create the ballistic force in the punch. When performed correctly, that spiral motion along the line of the punch helps prevent small impacts from diverting the trajectory and can be used to deflect effectively without “clashing“ impact. This is significantly reduced in efficacy when wearing gloves, pads, armor, etc.

Wing Woo Gar

Senior Master
Reaction score
Of course, the smart strategy should be to use the strong part of your limb to clash on the weak part of your opponent's limb.
Like I said earlier, I will eat whatever they serve me. It makes no difference. I prefer up close but I’m not picky. Most people that I have sparred have not been hit on the hand or wrist very hard. Most people dont condition the arms for impact, so It can be surprising. It can make people upset when they can’t close the hand after. Of course it doesn’t work with gloves, and I only do it if the opportunity presents itself, usually when a guy reaches out to range me with a jab or a feint.

OP
T

ThatOneCanadian

Green Belt
Reaction score

I recently sparred with a white belt and I think I know the problem: white belts throw techniques too slowly. When I spar with a black belt, we're both moving too fast to even clash out limbs against anything other than the intended target. White belts, on the other hand, throw these very slow techniques (and because I need to exercise control with white belts, I go slow too), so the chance of clashing is much higher.

jks9199

Administrator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
All of it. It's annoying at best and injurious at worst. It completely discourages me from even sparring at all.
Then you have to learn to open the way in order to strike your desired target... Bashing your oppenents limbs out of the way is only one approach...

drop bear

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score

Also more likely if you are south paw facing authodox because you keep going across each other.

Latest Discussions