How useful is sparring in front of a mirror?

Corporal Hicks

Black Belt
Reaction score
When I pratice fighting using only the upper part of my body I'm not sure if I should shadow spar in front of a mirror or just stand outside and imagen a opponent in front of me and hit the air, which one would you say? Which one works better?

The only trouble I seem to think that could happen with mirror sparring is that your looking at yourself and not fighting from you own eyes point of view because your facing a reflection, or is that not a problem?

Regards
Nick

MJS

Administrator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
Both are good. Doing things IFO a mirror is good because, one, the mirror doesnt lie, and you can see yourself at a different angle.

Work on your form and start off slowly, making sure that you're getting the proper movements down, and then gradually pick up the speed.

Good luck!

Mike

mj-hi-yah

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Corporal Hicks said:
When I pratice fighting using only the upper part of my body I'm not sure if I should shadow spar in front of a mirror or just stand outside and imagen a opponent in front of me and hit the air, which one would you say? Which one works better?

The only trouble I seem to think that could happen with mirror sparring is that your looking at yourself and not fighting from you own eyes point of view because your facing a reflection, or is that not a problem?

Regards
Nick
I think it is useful to do both.

Sometimes in front of a mirror... you can see your fighting form and use your own body as targets. If you throw an uppercut use your chin as a target in the mirror etc.

Sometimes without a mirror... for freedom of movement and gaze. I took an interesting seminar against knife attacks and we were taught to look slightly down with our eyes around your opponent's abdomen but keeping a general awareness. He showed us that if you do this you are able to maintain your peripheral vision in case of multiple attackers coming from the sides. In a mirror you may tend to want to look up more.

So some mirror for checking form and without for gaze and freedom of movement.

O

OC Kid

Most boxers train like that. Its called shadow boxing. Its used so you can tell if your technique ie Jab Is going on a straight line out and back or if your chin is protected when the jab is extended. If there are any openings in your hand postions.
Traditionalist use this for critiqueing their Katas for proper form ect also.

Flatlander

Grandmaster
Reaction score
I would also like to add that practicing in front of a mirror is a great opportunity to work on your image.
icon10.gif

Brother John

Senior Master
Reaction score
I don't know if anyone has already mentioned this...but you can use shadow boxing in front of a mirror to train your visual sensitivity. Here's a couple of simple drills, one with a partner and one w/out one.

1. Shadow box in front of the mirror and fix your eyes to one point. IF you prefer to look your opponent in the eyes....look into your own. If you look your opponent in the chest...then look there. DO NOT let your eyes wander, keep them fixed there....that's the point of the drill. It makes you keep your eyes steady so that you don't tellegraph with your eyes. It also trains your veripheral vision.

2. Shadow box infront of a mirror and fix your eyes again as before, but this time your training partner will be somewhere behind you....roving to and fro, but remaining visible to you in the mirror. He will have his hands infront of his chest...both open. When he closes his hands you will execute a certain hand technique, when he closes them again you will execute a certain foot technique. Do not follow him with your eyes, sense him in your peripheral vision only.

Give it a try.
Your Brother
John

Enson

3rd Black Belt
Reaction score
i recommend both. you can see your form better if you use a mirror and if you are outside and just imagine you can imagine different strikes coming at you and mulitple attackers. sometimes i practice this way and it gets pretty intense. the good thing is i always win, and my imaginary attackers always leave more hurt than i do. ;)
peace

Latest Discussions