Chuck Norris and TKD

Earl Weiss

Senior Master
Reaction score
You left out "Tang So Do" championship.
I wish I knew if you were being deliberately obtuse or if you truly have a comprehension problem. To claim that any sort of "Open" championship where various stylists are present and competing somehow reflects a single style or system show a fundamental lack of comprehension, which could be attributable to a lack of familiarity with the terminology particularly since it does not say "National Championship" as you misstated.

InfiniteLoop

Black Belt
Reaction score
I wish I knew if you were being deliberately obtuse or if you truly have a comprehension problem. To claim that any sort of "Open" championship where various stylists are present and competing somehow reflects a single style or system show a fundamental lack of comprehension, which could be attributable to a lack of familiarity with the terminology particularly since it does not say "National Championship" as you misstated.

Continous sparring in this grading for black

dvcochran

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Out of interest have you renamed that school now as Taekwondo has become a much more widely known term? Or if it's closed down and new ones opened, did you continue calling them Karate or switch to using Taekwondo?
When I purchased my 2nd strip mall (where my GM's building is) we changed the name to Shin's Martial Arts. At that time, we also had two other schools in joining counties and 2 other classes in local gyms. Branding was a big reason but MA's being a more general term makes it a more accurate name.

Earl Weiss

Senior Master
Reaction score
You are not allowed to punch more than two times in succession.
Please cite a source for this. It has been a while -2004 I believe since I judged an ITF International competition and no such rule existed at that time.

InfiniteLoop

Black Belt
Reaction score
Please cite a source for this. It has been a while -2004 I believe since I judged an ITF International competition and no such rule existed at that time.

The source is my school under Yeo Chin Huat. Two punches at most, then you have to throw a kick or stop. Kicks can be thrown infinitely.

andyjeffries

Senior Master
Reaction score
The source is my school under Yeo Chin Huat. Two punches at most, then you have to throw a kick or stop. Kicks can be thrown infinitely.
Sorry to jump in but no matter who your instructor is, if you claim the whole style has a particular thing/rule/detail you need to cite an authoritative source not just "my instructor says so".

InfiniteLoop

Black Belt
Reaction score
Sorry to jump in but no matter who your instructor is, if you claim the whole style has a particular thing/rule/detail you need to cite an authoritative source not just "my instructor says so".

It's too far back for me to remember. I would like to know myself why we used that system. It might be tied to national comp rules

Last edited:

Earl Weiss

Senior Master
Reaction score
Sorry, must have missed the memo as to when your school set the standard for the ITF. while your instructor may be well regarded concerning his role in the ITF, and have good reason for his rules, school rules are just that, nothing more.

InfiniteLoop

Black Belt
Reaction score
Sorry, must have missed the memo as to when your school set the standard for the ITF. while your instructor may be well regarded concerning his role in the ITF, and have good reason for his rules, school rules are just that, nothing more.

Why wouldn't school rules be relevant to the discussion? Most people will never compete. Their experience will be the schools curriculum.

Last edited:

InfiniteLoop

Black Belt
Reaction score
FWIW, there's a claim in Alex Gillis's A Killing Art that Chuck holds an 8th Dan in ITF:

Page 14: "The General gave an 8th Degree black belt to Chuck Norris, who has 182 schools. Chuck considers himself a student of the General's."

Last edited:

Earl Weiss

Senior Master
Reaction score
Why wouldn't school rules be relevant to the discussion? Most people will never compete. Their experience will be the schools curriculum.
Because your claim of what ITF sparring is or what TSD sparring is cannot be supported by what some instructor chooses to do.

Earl Weiss

Senior Master
Reaction score
FWIW, there's a claim in Alex Gillis's A Killing Art that Chuck holds an 8th Dan in ITF:

Page 14: "The General gave an 8th Degree black belt to Chuck Norris, who has 182 schools. Chuck considers himself a student of the General's."
I liked Mr. Gillis book a lot. However I did send a critique to him. I don't know if any of that served as a basis for any revisions in the second edition. (Page 95 1st Edition erroneously states General Choi awarded Ninth- Degree to Chuck Norris. ) One of my articles is cited in his bibliography. He does not cite a source for the claim that Chuck Norris as well as Jackie Chan and Wesley Snipes consider themselves students of General Choi, Chuck Norris, Bob Wall ,and a third person I think Bob Chaney were given "Special" *8th Dan certificates to recognize their contributions to Martial Arts.

So, I really have no idea what Chuck Norris studied in the USA but suffice it to say when in Korea he studied TSD, not TK-D.

InfiniteLoop

Black Belt
Reaction score
I liked Mr. Gillis book a lot. However I did send a critique to him. I don't know if any of that served as a basis for any revisions in the second edition. (Page 95 1st Edition erroneously states General Choi awarded Ninth- Degree to Chuck Norris. ) One of my articles is cited in his bibliography. He does not cite a source for the claim that Chuck Norris as well as Jackie Chan and Wesley Snipes consider themselves students of General Choi, Chuck Norris, Bob Wall ,and a third person I think Bob Chaney were given "Special" *8th Dan certificates to recognize their contributions to Martial Arts.

So, I really have no idea what Chuck Norris studied in the USA but suffice it to say when in Korea he studied TSD, not TK-D.

This is the only pattern I've seen him do on film and it’s from Shotokan/TSD

InfiniteLoop

Black Belt
Reaction score

Jackie Chan has stated that he does Hapkido. I'm quite certain that Wesley Snipes holds a dan rank in KKW. Michael Jai White is dan ranked in both ITF and KKW according to himself in an interview with Michael Schiavello.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20210921-135943.png
    Screenshot_20210921-135943.png
    2 MB · Views: 61

InfiniteLoop

Black Belt
Reaction score
He did learn from someone who later became part of the unification, so Chuck at the very least has Dan rank in ATA. Lee was a close friend of his.

dancingalone

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Surprised this one is being argued. Chuck Norris' chain of studios that he opened with Pat Johnson in California taught Tang Soo Do. Johnson played the referee in the Karate Kid movie and taught the cast some moves. He is well-known in the Tang Soo Do world and so even before the recent Cobra Kai Netflix series confirmed it, it was bandied around for years that the style the fictional Cobra Kai studied was really Tang Soo Do.

Another data point: the system Chuck Norris put together and headed for years, Chun Kuk Do, uses many of the more popular Moo Duk Kwan hyung, including the Pyung Ahn sets, Bassai Dae, and Kong Sang Koon. Obviously these came by way of Japanese karate as Tang Soo Do stylists will readily admit these days.

Latest Discussions