Christopher Colombus (Split from Taekwondo isn't from Karate...thread)

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
anyway back to the thread title, here's an article that suggests that the colonization and subsequent depopulation of the America s lead to climate change, I'm not convinced myself,

America colonisation ‘cooled climate’
I'd have to see the actual data on that - it does seem a stretch. The mechanism is obviously possible, but like you, I'm not convinced.

jobo

Grandmaster
Reaction score
I'd have to see the actual data on that - it does seem a stretch. The mechanism is obviously possible, but like you, I'm not convinced.
the two things that are thrownat the man made climate change model, is the medieval warm period, and the 1700/ 1800 mini ice age, both of which are completely contradictory, to man made Carbon release, if the colonization of the Americas, lead to growth of forest and carbon capture, then that would be more than off set, by the more or less complete deforestation if Europe, which was one giant forest, and them burning any thing they could dig up, to fuel the industrial Revolution,

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
And again, you seem to think there's an emotional thing going on (hence "chillax" and blood pressure comments). As you seem to think there's a deep emotional content in KD's posts (hence "crie de coeur", etc.).

I'm amused.

So you are amused and I'm not allowed to be, I see. That's not emotional language it's just English! Don't you think cri de coeur sounds much better than whinging? And 'chillax', it's a modern word used by kids, my use of it, as an old person is irony. I write exactly as I always have, I am a logophile, I enjoy using words so that what I write doesn't sound boring, our English teacher taught us to write creatively and to never ever use the word 'nice' to describe anything. Similarly one should always endeavour to use interesting words not mundane ones. Perhaps I should dumb down my sentences and put a little emoji beside every sentence so you understand how it's meant. :D:D:D:D:D

Your radar is really off,:eek: you don't know anything about me,:angelic: yet insist on putting your own meanings into my posts,o_O it's really an odd thing to do. Keep insisting I'm 'emotional':stop: and I shall begin to think you are actually being sexist here. :rolleyes:
:mooning:

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
the two things that are thrownat the man made climate change model, is the medieval warm period, and the 1700/ 1800 mini ice age, both of which are completely contradictory, to man made Carbon release, if the colonization of the Americas, lead to growth of forest and carbon capture, then that would be more than off set, by the more or less complete deforestation if Europe, which was one giant forest, and them burning any thing they could dig up, to fuel the industrial Revolution,
Yeah, that's why I'd have to see their full data. From the one side, there's a viable mechanism. I'm not convinced that mechanism is enough to explain that. It might offset what was going on in Europe over the same period, but it would need to do more than just offset that. It's a terribly complex system, and this report seems to jump to a conclusion quite quickly.

jobo

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Yeah, that's why I'd have to see their full data. From the one side, there's a viable mechanism. I'm not convinced that mechanism is enough to explain that. It might offset what was going on in Europe over the same period, but it would need to do more than just offset that. It's a terribly complex system, and this report seems to jump to a conclusion quite quickly.
Yes that's rather the point in trying to make, by jumping to the conclusion that the mini ice age was " man " made, they are removing the valid explain nation that other cycles have a massive unpack on temp and are feeding the man made climate change case.

Their data undoubtably is no where near that clear cut, but they have chosen to publicise the most news worthy interpritation

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Nice. I think we're done here, then.

We were actually done when you thought I was an easy poster to practice your mod skills on. Not so good when it's back at you is it?

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
We were actually done when you thought I was an easy poster to practice your mod skills on. Not so good when it's back at you is it?
I don't even know what you're on about now, Tez. You're reading a lot into posts that aren't there. Maybe chill?

Steve

Mostly Harmless
Reaction score
Not it's not clear, as I wasn't, why do this? why assume that a poster is 'upset', I posted a light hearted comment about Paul Revere and some other facts, another poster got upset as he thought I was criticising American education. He has a bee in his bonnet about Europeans who he thinks are saying they know more about the American Civil War than Americans do and really? :rolleyes: did you think I'd not laugh at that and try to disabuse him of that idea. :D

The problem, as was said on another thread is that people read into others posts what they are feeling. You have no facial expression, no tone of voice to judge yet you think I was upset, you know how I write as much as anyone on here, what on earth would make you think I was 'upset', crying into my tea? Oh that's right a mod decided, and a mod jumped in with that decision so he must be right. perhaps I need to put little smileys after all my sentences to prove I'm not bothered. :D

And who posts Micheal Palin videos if they are upset? :D

Really gentlemen, do lighten up. :cool:
youre so vain... I bet you think this post is about you.

Steve

Mostly Harmless
Reaction score
So you are amused and I'm not allowed to be, I see. That's not emotional language it's just English! Don't you think cri de coeur sounds much better than whinging? And 'chillax', it's a modern word used by kids, my use of it, as an old person is irony. I write exactly as I always have, I am a logophile, I enjoy using words so that what I write doesn't sound boring, our English teacher taught us to write creatively and to never ever use the word 'nice' to describe anything. Similarly one should always endeavour to use interesting words not mundane ones. Perhaps I should dumb down my sentences and put a little emoji beside every sentence so you understand how it's meant. :D:D:D:D:D

Your radar is really off,:eek: you don't know anything about me,:angelic: yet insist on putting your own meanings into my posts,o_O it's really an odd thing to do. Keep insisting I'm 'emotional':stop: and I shall begin to think you are actually being sexist here. :rolleyes:
:mooning:
Brits just don't understand sarcasm. Its not your fault, Tez. You just don't use sarcasm as pervasively as we do in the states, and so you get upset. We don't hold it against you all. It's just the way things are.

wanderingstudent

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
Here in New England, once the weather gets crisp, the air is often filled with the smell of smoke from fires. I used to think it was great, I even burned some myself. Now, I am repulsed and think its just pollution.

I also imagine its the way the US smelled regularly, before cleaner burning fuels were used. Native Americans used fires for heat, cooking and clearing pastures. As, did we for heat and cooking.

Horrible.

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Here in New England, once the weather gets crisp, the air is often filled with the smell of smoke from fires. I used to think it was great, I even burned some myself. Now, I am repulsed and think its just pollution.

I also imagine its the way the US smelled regularly, before cleaner burning fuels were used. Native Americans used fires for heat, cooking and clearing pastures. As, did we for heat and cooking.

Horrible.
Some folks still use it for heating. It's still cheaper than all other alternatives in some cases.

jobo

Grandmaster
Reaction score

Horrible.
There's little difderance, between you burning wood to make heat and a piwer station burning coal or gas to make heat and then electricity, that you turn in to heat, just that the polutionp is somewhere else

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
There's little difderance, between you burning wood to make heat and a piwer station burning coal or gas to make heat and then electricity, that you turn in to heat, just that the polutionp is somewhere else
That’s true, though I think there’s some efficiency gained in large, engineered plants. Some (maybe all?) of that gain would be lost in transmission. Now I want to go back and look up those numbers - I recall the carbon footprint of an electric car actually being pretty high if the electricity comes from a coal-fired plant.

Dirty Dog

MT Senior Moderator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score

Well, except that those power stations have all sorts of expensive filtering system to remove the pollution before it gets into the air.

Steve

Mostly Harmless
Reaction score
Natural gas burns pretty clean but is not easily renewable. Nuclear is also clean but the byproduct is an issue.

Only problem with solar, wind, or hydro is storage so that you can increase supply in high demand times.

Regarding electic cars depends on where you live. In my area alnost all of our energy is renewable .

And last thing, even if coal is super dirty I like that it is entirely domestic . energy independence is a national security issue .

Latest Discussions