Christopher Colombus (Split from Taekwondo isn't from Karate...thread)

JR 137

Grandmaster
Reaction score
As a point of order here...

Old sources aren’t always accurate. Facts handed down aren’t very accurate either.

George Washington wasn’t the first president of the United States. John Hanson was.
Articles of Confederation, US Constitution, Constitution Day Materials, Pocket Constitution Book, Bill of Rights

And Columbus didn’t discover America. Actually, I don’t think he stepped foot on American soil. He landed somewhere in the Caribbean Sea.

And the Vikings were here before he was.

And practically everyone accepted the earth was round before his ship sailed.

And no one truly knows his actual name nor where he was born.

Sure, read a single book and accept that as scholarly fact. Read a newspaper and accept that as scholarly fact. Or look at a picture and accept that as scholarly fact. Or listen to old wives tales and accept them as scholarly fact.

How about actual legitimate evidence beyond what a few guys with an obvious nationalistic pride agenda are pushing? And even if the nonsense you’re pushing is genuinely correct, what difference does it make in your and anyone else’s training? ZERO.

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
And Columbus didn’t discover America.

And the Vikings were here before he was.

America was never 'lost' to be discovered though and the Vikings weren't the first, the indigenous population were.

CB Jones

Senior Master
Reaction score
America was never 'lost' to be discovered though and the Vikings weren't the first, the indigenous population were.

And where do you think the indigenous population came from.......Korea?

Xue Sheng

All weight is underside
Reaction score
And where do you think the indigenous population came from.......Korea?

One of the best things I heard about this subject came from the Iroquois just before a big Columbus day celebration. There statement, when asked what they felt about Columbus day was "What did Columbus discover, we knew where we were long before he got here"

Buka

Sr. Grandmaster
Staff member
MT Mentor
Reaction score
One of the best things I heard about this subject came from the Iroquois just before a big Columbus day celebration. There statement, when asked what they felt about Columbus day was "What did Columbus discover, we knew where we were long before he got here"

I take your word for it. I've never been to Ohio.

OP
JR 137

JR 137

Grandmaster
Reaction score
I never said the Vikings were first nor did I say they discovered it. I simply said the Vikings were here before Columbus.

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I never said the Vikings were first nor did I say they discovered it. I simply said the Vikings were here before Columbus.

Everyone was in America before Columbus.

OP
JR 137

JR 137

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Everyone was in America before Columbus.
My family wasn’t. First ones here were in the early 1950s. First the Italian side started creeping in, then came the Armenians :)

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
My family wasn’t. First ones here were in the early 1950s. First the Italian side started creeping in, then came the Armenians :)

Your family were, Columbus didn't actually set foot in America.

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
He set foot in 'an' america. Just not North America or the USA. Gosh, stop being so USA-centric, Tez :p

The sobering fact is he landed in the Caribbean, which is why much of the islands are called 'West Indies' and the following colonisation wiped out all the indigenous people to replaced by slaves from Africa and colonisers. There are no native people in this islands at all, a whole people wiped out.

Monkey Turned Wolf

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
The sobering fact is he landed in the Caribbean, which is why much of the islands are called 'West Indies' and the following colonisation wiped out all the indigenous people to replaced by slaves from Africa and colonisers. There are no native people in this islands at all, a whole people wiped out.
Yeah but then he traveled to both central and south america. Im not a fan of the guy in the slightest, and hate that we've got a holiday for him, but he did go to america

Latest Discussions