christ and the martial arts?

H

hapki-bujutsu

I happy to tell the world that I am a devote christian. Being the son of a minister I grew up with religion. I have also been a member of the karate for christ organization for some time.

However when I went to a seminar held by a christian recently and every chance he got he preached I was a little annoyed. If you pay for somthing that is what you expect. I would say that out of the four hours a little over an hour was dedicated to preaching.

Am i wrong in feeling this?

What do others feel of people who replace eastern phil with christian?

I feel zen can be part of chrsitian life style.I feel zen is not a religion.

What do you other feel?

bushi jon

Green Belt
Reaction score
Jesus Christ may save my soul but my martial art will save my A$$. I beleive if it were a karate for Christ event you should expect that but if it were billed as just a Karate event then I would say that is not good.

OP
H

hapki-bujutsu

it wasn't. that is what suprised me.

Great line by the way.lol

satans.barber

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Since when do you have to pay to watch someone preach?

In England you just walk into a church if you feel like it (not that I ever do*) and they pass round a collection plate, there's no door fee!

Ian.

* I'm a complete heathen and proud of it!

Touch Of Death

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I took a Tae Kwon Do class in Radcliff KY. That guy wanted us to Pray and Bow to the Korean Flag for every class. In betwwen sermons and stories about how American students put his freinds out of business by opening ther own school, which was a way of telling us we are students and that is that. I left at a dead run when the children were taught to spar with there arms at there sides.
Sean

Brother John

Senior Master
Reaction score
IF it was known upfront that there would be evanglism & karate... then you'd know what you were getting for your buck.
BUT if it cost you and 1/4th of the time was spent on something different... I'd feel ripped off.

Your Brother
John

Brother John

Senior Master
Reaction score
Imagine what would happen if I conducted a Christian Convention, charged at the front gate and then spent a good portion of the time trying to get the participants to sign up in AMWAY.
:soapbox:
Your Brother
John

Bob Hubbard

Retired
MT Mentor
Founding Member
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Originally posted by Brother John
Imagine what would happen if I conducted a Christian Convention, charged at the front gate and then spent a good portion of the time trying to get the participants to sign up in AMWAY.
:soapbox:
Your Brother
John

In my experience, theres little difference. (3 years as an Amway Distributor.....the seminars were more religious than when I went to Sunday School).

Marginal

Senior Master
Reaction score
If I blundered into a Christian dojo, they'd be seeing my back pretty quickly as I ran for the door. Don't mind Christianity, but I don't see any use/need for blending it in with various martial arts. (But then I don't get those guy who goes around breaking concrete blocks and handcuffs for Christ either...)

Guro Harold

Senior Master
Founding Member
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
As long as the people are teaching martial arts with a pure motive is all that I care about.

Evangelicals sometimes use all kinds of methods, sometimes insincerely, to "reach souls for da Lord", instead of setting a good example.

If they say at the beginning, that this will be a time of training and outreach, then its up to me to stay or not.

If they conceal it, its their problem, and I will leave.

Latest Discussions