Tamingthetiger47

White Belt
Reaction score
Hello,

I am looking for quality Chinese martial arts/kung fu training in Los Angeles. I am asking on here because in the world of martial arts there are some amazing teachers and classes that just aren’t on yelp or google. I am open on what style as long as the training is authentic. I live in Reseda, so ideally the San Fernando Valley would be nice but I am willing to travel.

Some that I know of.

Donald Hamby. Hung Gar. I went to his website, Quandoman, emailed with no response. Called the number but it said it was out of service.

Gary Lam. Wing Chun. Alhambra, so it’s too far really but he is renowned.

A few San Soo schools in the valley.

Carl Totten. Five Families, internal arts. He taught at the Taoist Institute but when I passed by its listed location it was closed down and totally emptied out. Does anyone know if he still teaches?

North Hollywood Martial Arts. Seven Star Mantis. Emailed them, no response.

Bucksam Kong. Hung Gar. I know he used to have a school in Glendale but I heard it closed. Anyone know if he still teaches.

Stanley Wong. Wing Chun. Glendale. Open to all lineages of Wing Chun, which is rare.

If anyone has any recommendations it would be much appreciated.

OP
T

Tamingthetiger47

White Belt
Reaction score
Some updates:

Got in touch with Donald Hamby. Had a great trial session.

Carl Totten is currently no longer teaching due to health issues.

Bucksam Kong no longer teaches and moved to Chicago.

Got in touch with the Seven Star Mantis guy and will have a trial.

isshinryuronin

Master of Arts
Reaction score
Last week you said you were looking for a karate school. This week you are looking for Chinese arts school. Why the change??????????

OP
T

Tamingthetiger47

White Belt
Reaction score
Last week you said you were looking for a karate school. This week you are looking for Chinese arts school. Why the change??????????
I am open to any style, for me the quality of instruction is far more important than any particular style. I just thought that I’d get responses for Chinese arts in the Chinese arts forum and for Karate in the Karate forum.

OP
T

Tamingthetiger47

White Belt
Reaction score
There's Chan Family CLF, Buk Sing CLF, Buk Sim Lum, Eagle Claw, Bak Mei, etc ... a bunch of internal people. Just gotta hit the search with determination ...
I got in touch with a Chan Family CLF guy. I don’t see anything about Buk Sing CLF in LA, just up north in Fremont. Can’t find anything on google about Buk Sim Lum. The main Eagle Claw place in Glendale closed down, the others are too far for me. I can only find one Bak Mei person in Los Angeles but it’s too far.

Any advice on internal teachers? Carl Totten is no longer teaching and Tim Cartmell is way off in the San Gabriel Valley. I could try James Wing Woo’s students in Hollywood.

kfman

Orange Belt
Reaction score
Hello,

I am looking for quality Chinese martial arts/kung fu training in Los Angeles. I am asking on here because in the world of martial arts there are some amazing teachers and classes that just aren’t on yelp or google. I am open on what style as long as the training is authentic. I live in Reseda, so ideally the San Fernando Valley would be nice but I am willing to travel.

Some that I know of.

Donald Hamby. Hung Gar. I went to his website, Quandoman, emailed with no response. Called the number but it said it was out of service.

Gary Lam. Wing Chun. Alhambra, so it’s too far really but he is renowned.

A few San Soo schools in the valley.

Carl Totten. Five Families, internal arts. He taught at the Taoist Institute but when I passed by its listed location it was closed down and totally emptied out. Does anyone know if he still teaches?

North Hollywood Martial Arts. Seven Star Mantis. Emailed them, no response.

Bucksam Kong. Hung Gar. I know he used to have a school in Glendale but I heard it closed. Anyone know if he still teaches.

Stanley Wong. Wing Chun. Glendale. Open to all lineages of Wing Chun, which is rare.

If anyone has any recommendations it would be much appreciated.
I am certified in the Five Family Style and I live in Koreatown, Los Angeles. I have 43 years experience. I currently teach privately at Robert Burns Park at Van Ness and Beverly. If you are interested, see my Craigslist ad under Kung Fu for Health and Self Defense and contact me. Thanks.

Carl Totten is horrible. Bucksam Kong was in LA. He was a chain smoker. I visited his school in the 1980s. Online says he's still teaching in LA. He must be pretty old by now.

kfman

Orange Belt
Reaction score
I got in touch with a Chan Family CLF guy. I don’t see anything about Buk Sing CLF in LA, just up north in Fremont. Can’t find anything on google about Buk Sim Lum. The main Eagle Claw place in Glendale closed down, the others are too far for me. I can only find one Bak Mei person in Los Angeles but it’s too far.

Any advice on internal teachers? Carl Totten is no longer teaching and Tim Cartmell is way off in the San Gabriel Valley. I could try James Wing Woo’s students in Hollywood.
I studied with Tim Cartmell a long time ago for about a year. He is fantastic. He was living in Orange County. The commute was too much. Five Family Style has plenty of internal.

kfman

Orange Belt
Reaction score
I am certified in the Five Family Style and I live in Koreatown, Los Angeles. I have 43 years experience. I currently teach privately at Robert Burns Park at Van Ness and Beverly. If you are interested, see my Craigslist ad under Kung Fu for Health and Self Defense and contact me. Thanks.

Carl Totten is horrible. Bucksam Kong was in LA. He was a chain smoker. I visited his school in the 1980s. Online says he's still teaching in LA. He must be pretty old by now.

Flying Crane

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score

We’re you a student of Sifu Ark Wong?

My Sifu is also a chain smoker. I wish he wasn’t. But he is the best teacher I have had, and I’ve had several, some of whom are senior level in their respective systems.

kfman

Orange Belt
Reaction score
I said what I said about Totten was because years ago I visited his school and he changed the very first form one learns, called the Salute, into a snake form. The snake fist does not work in the movements of the Salute. Not what Ark Wong taught. I apologize in the sense that I could have used a better way of saying it.

Flying Crane

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
I said what I said about Totten was because years ago I visited his school and he changed the very first form one learns, called the Salute, into a snake form. The snake fist does not work in the movements of the Salute. Not what Ark Wong taught. I apologize in the sense that I could have used a better way of saying it.
I don’t know Totten, other than I recognize the name. No sweat off my back.

OP
T

Tamingthetiger47

White Belt
Reaction score

I can’t find your craigslist ad! Do you have a link?

Latest Discussions