Chi Sao raised platform

Vinjitsu

White Belt
Reaction score
What are your views on doing chi sao on a raised platform? Have you done chi sao like this, and what comments do you have regarding this training device. What specifications is the platform made to, where did it originate?

chisauking

Green Belt
Reaction score
In the old days, martial arts training was quite brutal. One had to listen and do as one's sifu asked.

In teaching the student to use juen-ma (turning horse), the sifu would get the student to practice on top of a high table. The idea of this training is quite obvious -- if one used stepping as opposed to turning, one would fall off the table! So, this was a sadistic way to 'force' the student to turn \ swivel instead of stepping backwards, which is the most natrual tendency.

I personally think this type of training has benefits, but it really doesn't suite a society filled with spoilt brats. The parents would be taking the teachers to court for abusing their children.

However, this concept still may work if practiced on a slightly raised platform, but obviously this doesn't have the same effect as a tall table top.

This type of practice probably dates back more than 1000 years' in Chinese martial arts, but it's difficult to place an exact time. In regards to wing chun, it probably dates back no more than 400 years' since that's roughly the age of wing chun.

Seeker

Orange Belt
Reaction score
We have the platform, it changes your chi sau dramatically since everyone seems to want to push or pull you off the platform rather than strike you, which is cool in my opinion because that's another facet of fighting.

A lot of po pai seems to come out during platform chi sau. :)

Nabakatsu

Brown Belt
Reaction score
Makes me think of the prodigal son training sequence on the table! seems to definitely be affective, maybe when I get to that stage I can talk my sifu into doing this with me :p
I'm a glutton for punishment! whatever makes me stronger and more efficient!

mook jong man

Senior Master
Reaction score
No , haven't done it on a platform , but I have done it blind drunk which was almost as dangerous as being on a platform lol.

yak sao

Senior Master
Reaction score
One other thing I like is training Chum Kui ( and Biu Tse to some extent) on an 8' foot sqared off log that I bought from a saw mill. It's roughly the size of a railroad tie.

futsaowingchun

Black Belt
Reaction score
The benifits to a raised platform is mental training not so much the body.It's the mind you must train after you get good at the basics.

koenig

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
I've never even heard of a Chi Sao platform. Can someone post a pic?

OP
V

Vinjitsu

White Belt
Reaction score
This is what I mean....

Last edited by a moderator:

koenig

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
I've never seen that before like that on a platform. Thanks for posting the vid.

Latest Discussions