Do any of you incorporate weight training into your Wing Chun?

koenig

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
I think weight training is a necessary component of martial arts development but a lot of purists are 100% anti-weight lifting.

What are your opinions?

almost a ghost

Blue Belt
Reaction score
I've been practicing Wing Chun for close to 8 years, the past 6 of those I have been going to the gym and lifting weights.

I've never experienced a problem with it affecting my wing chun, and quite frankly I do it to combat a sit-on-your-butt 9-5 job does.

Seeker

Orange Belt
Reaction score
I think weight lifting is a great supplement to any physical activity. As long as you don't confuse strength training with body building. If you want to get stronger, stick with strength training, do compound exercises over isolation.

Or heck, just do kettlebells. :)

Nabakatsu

Brown Belt
Reaction score
I've never done any of these techniques, and have no idea about their validity but.. it seems to be on topic and may help at least give ya some ideas!

Last edited by a moderator:

mook jong man

Senior Master
Reaction score
I don't do it to help my Wing Chun I do it to stay alive , I have hereditary high blood pressure and if I don't watch it I will end up with diabetes too.

I also do kettle bells lots of swings and snatches , pull ups and chin ups , hanging leg raises for the gut and sometimes free weights . I don't think it makes you slow as long as you don't go mad and lift maximal weights trying to get a body builder typ of body , the Bruce Lee type of physique is what I try to aim for , and I might just get there if liposuction were to suddenly come down in price.

yak sao

Senior Master
Reaction score
I do pull ups ( several variations,) pushups (several variations) and body weight squats as my main workout and supplement these with dumbells.

Example: Mon: the above body weight exercises plus DB bench press,
one arm rowing and what ever other chest
and back exercise strike me that day

Wed: same body weight ex. plus DB military press rvrs
flies and lateral raises plus any other shoulder
ex that I'm in the mood for

Fri: Same body weight ex plus DB curls tricep curls
forearm work etc

Also as a warmup for all three days I hit the Total Gym for several reps of various ex.

mook jong man

Senior Master
Reaction score
Is that you in the utube clip, mook jong man?

Nah mate , I'm much to ugly and shy to be on Youtube .
I don't actually like this whole Youtube generation thing , call me an old fuddy duddy if you like , I think its full of a lot of try hards and exihibitionists.

It wasn't around when I was learning the Chun and I'm glad really because you know yourself there is a hell of a lot of crap on there being portrayed as Wing Chun and we'd all be better off if it wasn't on there in my opinion .

No I'm too shy for that stuff , I don't even like being photographed , I'm like those natives in Papua New Guinea that believes it steals your soul lol.

chisauking

Green Belt
Reaction score
Don't worry, mook jong man, I only asked because I would really like to have a go at the kettle bells -- for no other reason other than it looks fun!

I know what you mean about utube, clips, etc., etc. Many, many years ago, I was tempted to post one of my gwoh-sau clips on the net. The way I'd trained then was very, very agressive, and my chisau looked more like a full out boxing match!. Lucky I didn't go through with it, because looking back, I can see how crude it was. LOL, in those days, I deluded myself, thinking that I was quite good.

That's one of the reasons why I NEVER make any comments on any clips -- because I understand it's only a moment in time for those that posted, and it offers me a great form of free enertainment. LOL. Mind you, some people believe totally the 'truth' of those clips and form their OPINION of wing chun's weakness on the basis of what they see.

sal-la-vie (sp?)

mook jong man

Senior Master
Reaction score
Don't worry, mook jong man, I only asked because I would really like to have a go at the kettle bells -- for no other reason other than it looks fun!

I know what you mean about utube, clips, etc., etc. Many, many years ago, I was tempted to post one of my gwoh-sau clips on the net. The way I'd trained then was very, very agressive, and my chisau looked more like a full out boxing match!. Lucky I didn't go through with it, because looking back, I can see how crude it was. LOL, in those days, I deluded myself, thinking that I was quite good.

That's one of the reasons why I NEVER make any comments on any clips -- because I understand it's only a moment in time for those that posted, and it offers me a great form of free enertainment. LOL. Mind you, some people believe totally the 'truth' of those clips and form their OPINION of wing chun's weakness on the basis of what they see.

sal-la-vie (sp?)

Yeah you should get one mate , but I warn you they are bloody expensive , or at least they were when I bought one . Mine is 16kg and cost $150 Australian , but that was about 3 years ago , they should be cheaper now I imagine.

They really do burn the fat off of you as well and the cardio can be very intense depending on what exercise you are doing , with free weights I seemed to always feel a bit stiff and slightly musclebound .

But you don't seem to get that with the kettlebell , it seems to work on your flexibility , strength and cardio all at the same time . I'm 88kg and a 16 kg bell suits me fine , but if your a really big guy maybe you might need a 24kg .

chisauking

Green Belt
Reaction score
Thanks, MJM, but I would probably try to have a go first with someone else's kettle bells before forking out for my own.

Traditionally, the look-dim-boon kwan & the BJD is the equiverlent of working out with weights (in a dynamic manner), but it's always nice to experiment with other methods as well.

geezer

Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
I think weight training is a necessary component of martial arts development but a lot of purists are 100% anti-weight lifting.

What are your opinions?

The "purists" have a point. Unless a weight program is very selectively tailored for the unique kinds of strength needed in Wing Chun/Tsun, you end up building a lot of unnecessary, unproductive bulk. That bulk will add weight to your arms and slow down your WC/WT techniques. The traditional approach is that lots of hard work training at WC/WT will give you all you need.

The other problem is that weight training can get a bit addictive. You start liking the fact that you look strong, and neglect training your technique in favor of counterproductive lifting. Really, my current instructor is a short, fat guy who surpassed me in skill just by training WT to the max. I literally can't touch the guy... and he was once my junior in the system. So based on what I've learned by working with him, I'd say that weight-lifting is for second tier dummies who can't hack it with their technique. Oh, look at the time! Gotta go, this is my day for working upper body (chest and arms) and I'm hoping to up my limit a bit and finally break my plateau on the bench press... later dudes.

paulus

Orange Belt
Reaction score
The traditional approach is that lots of hard work training at WC/WT will give you all you need.
That's the approach our club takes. Given that WC is geared towards helping the smaller, weaker person defend themselves against bigger, stronger attackers it makes sense that the focus is on skill and not strength.

Hagakure

Blue Belt
Reaction score
I do weights, but not necessarily at all for Wing Chun or health reasons, or to look good, but simply because I enjoy it. I've done it for years. Waaay before I restarted MA training and many years before starting my WC specifically. Can it be of benefit? I think that depends on what you train and how.

Joab

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
And the Sifu was incredibly quick and a weight trainer.

geezer

Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
I do weights, but not necessarily at all for Wing Chun or health reasons, or to look good, but simply because I enjoy it. I've done it for years. Waaay before I restarted MA training and many years before starting my WC specifically. Can it be of benefit? I think that depends on what you train and how.

You can get strong and fast with or without it, if you train smart. Me, well I'm old and slow and I do some weight training. So what does that tell you? Don't train with weights. If you do, you will eventually get old!

Hagakure

Blue Belt
Reaction score
You can get strong and fast with or without it, if you train smart. Me, well I'm old and slow and I do some weight training. So what does that tell you? Don't train with weights. If you do, you will eventually get old!

:D

Bought a smile to me face then mate. Good on yer.

OP
K

koenig

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
The "purists" have a point. Unless a weight program is very selectively tailored for the unique kinds of strength needed in Wing Chun/Tsun, you end up building a lot of unnecessary, unproductive bulk. That bulk will add weight to your arms and slow down your WC/WT techniques.

That's what "traditionalists" say but it's not true. The people in the world with the fastest muscle contraction time (Olympic sprinters and Olympic lifters) have plenty of bulk.

Muscle mass does not hinder flexibility or speed (two common arguments against weight training by "purists"). Tom Platz, the bodybuilder with the biggest quads ever, could do the splits. The only way muscle size gets in the way is if you get to be ridiculously huge which isn't going to happen to the average weightlifter who doesn't have elite level genetics and who doesn't eat 8,000 calories a day and doesn't use the drugs required to get into the upper levels of competitive bodybuilding.

The traditional approach is that lots of hard work training at WC/WT will give you all you need.

It gives you a great foundation, but you're screwed if you come up against another WC practitioner with equal skill but who is also a powerlifter!

Latest Discussions