Chi Power, Pyramids, and Silliness

Phil Elmore

Master of Arts
Reaction score
Chi Power, Pyramids, and Silliness
By Phil Elmore
Reprinted from the August Subscriber Content of The Martialist

One of the perennial debates in martial arts circles can be summed up with the often-used topic title, "Is chi real?"

Chi or ki, the life force that permeates our beings, which some say can be channeled to produce physical and mental benefits, is the basis for much Eastern lore. Feng Shui, for example, is the practice of helping the chi of a given space flow freely through that space without ebbing away, wasted, or pooling up, trapped.

The eclectic martial art I study, Shanliang Li, is at its core a meditative art. One of the skills on which we focus is extending the awareness of the mind and body into the ethereal - meaning, beyond the body, to anticipate and counter strikes. My teacher David stresses very much the benefits of meditation. As a Pagan, I can relate to these concepts and to other ideas that would be considered paranormal in nature – existing outside the domain of pure logic and tapping certain subjective, emotional elements of our beings.

You may choose to believe that these things, these concepts, are literally real and physically accessible. You may choose to view them metaphorically. Chi, for example, is a superb metaphor for visualization and mental focus. That is how I tend to view it most of the time.

The benefits of positive visualization are widely known in martial arts circles. Chuck Norris, for example, in The Secret of Inner Strength and The Secret Power Within, writes of the gains he achieved through visualization of success in competition.

What we must remember, however, is that there are certain things chi cannot do. There are certain martial arts myths and silliness out there that too many people seem willing to believe. When pressed, they will retreat to illogic, claiming that "simply because science hasn't proved something doesn't mean it isn't true."

That is, one supposes, true enough – but we must maintain a sense of perspective. Science hasn't proven that there isn't a unicorn living in my closet. In the absence of credible evidence to the contrary, however, the reasonable default position is one of skepticism. If am going to assert that there is a unicorn in my closet, claiming that unbelievers render the beast invisible is not sufficient to bolster my claims or excuse my lack of proof.

boogabooga.jpg

Chi power cannot be focused to knock you down without touching you.

That is a fact. I challenge anyone who believes they can knock me down by focusing their chi and waving their hands at me, or perhaps by making other gestures accompanied by Sonny Chiba breathing noises, to drive to my city and do so on videotape.

No one will ever accept my challenge, because this cannot be done. This cannot be done because nobody has ever done it on an uncooperative opponent. I don't care if someone claims to have managed it, because it isn't true no matter what they say.

"What objectivity and the study of philosophy require is not an 'open mind' but an active mind – a mind able and eagerly willing to examine ideas, but to examine them critically. An active mind does not grant equal status to truth and falsehood."

- Ayn Rand

I bring this up because I've seen such claims made in the martial arts community. There are a lot of people out there who seem to think they can do a lot of posing and posturing and noisemaking and then bowl you over with the incredible power of their lifeforces. I even saw a video online from a notorious cultlike martial arts group in which people wave their hands, make funny sounds, and knock down groups of charging attackers from twenty paces. It's absurd. Yet there's no limit to what some people seem willing to believe.

I once witnessed, with my jaw dropped to my keyboard, a lengthy discussion at bladeforums.com in which countless individuals actually professed their belief that keeping one's razor blades under a pyramid would somehow magically keep those blades sharper. This mysterious "pyramid power" is not a new idea by any means, but it was as ridiculous then as it is now.

A pyramid does not possess the ability to make your razor blades sharper, preserve your dead cats, or shine and wax your apples and vegetables, respectively. It won't make your clothes brighter or your whites whiter. It's a geometrically fascinating structure that possesses no magic by itself.

Am I saying there is no such thing as magic(k)? Absolutely not. I believe very strongly in the power of the mind. I also know that no amount of focus, meditation, and energy on my part is going to violate the laws of physics or create the impossible from the unknowable.

Just when I thought I'd seen everything, I witnessed another discussion online, this one in an Aikido forum, in which the participants wondered aloud if those of great development in the martial arts are or were capable of projecting beams of light from their eyes and fingers. When I stated how flatly absurd I found this notion – people cannot shoot light from their eyes no matter how "open" their minds might be – I was told that it was terribly rude of me not to keep an open mind!

It's time we dismissed ridiculous nonsense for what it is. There are plenty of "anomalies" out there that point to gaps in our knowledge of our world, and there are things we might call "paranormal" that defy explanation. The laws of magick, however, never supersede the laws of ballistics. That's a good slogan to remember whenever you're tempted to believe the unbelievable.

No-touch knockouts do not work and do not exist. Believe in chi or don't, but don't ask unrealistic things of it.

Cruentus

Grandmaster
Reaction score
So, are you saying, phil, that my no touch KO doesn;t exist?

:fart:

It worked on that guy (see above) LOL.

Actually, nice post. I liked you Ayn Rand quote, even though I am not really a fan of her work.

A couple of questions:

#1. You mentioned you were "Pagan." I was wondering if you could elaborate. I have nothing against it, I am just curious; and if you feel uncomfortable elaborating on a Talk Forum, then I understand. "Pagan" is just a very broad term. Like "Christian" when they're are many different sects. Pagan is even broader then that. I am Catholic, but I have been called "Pagan" by some people for my interest in indiginous beliefs and thought. Hell...some have called me Pagan just for being Catholic. LOL...some have just settled for "You look cute in that alter boy garb." :rofl: All kidding aside, I am just a bit curious.

#2. I know very little about Chinese styles in general (other then the fact that most schools that claim to teach them in MI. are crap). A very good friend of mine did learn a traditional style when he spent 3 years in China, ghoujo province (sp?), which I was able to experience a bit.

I was wondering if you could elaborate a bit on your style, and specifically your methods of CHI developement.

#3. What inspired you to write this post, anyways?

:D

O.K....Phil. Have fun with those. Once again, I enjoyed your post.

:cool: :asian:
PAUL

Bob Hubbard

Retired
MT Mentor
Founding Member
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
For another perspective on "CHI" please see the series by Ken Stuczynski in MartialTalk Magazine. (3rd part will be available September 1st)

I've been facinated by the ideas for a while and can see some interesting stuff in both authors information.

(Though I am a bit upset at Phil right now, because I really wanted to believe I could someday learn to cast lighting from my fingers. Bad Phil. :D)

don bohrer

Brown Belt
Reaction score
I found an Aikido Instructors view of Chi/Ki to be most resonable and made sense to me.

He summed it up as your intention, focus, dynamic movement, etc. Nailed it for me!

J

J-kid

I know that if chi or super powers like no touch kills/knock downs were real someone would be real rich and the ufc would be alot diffrent. If anyone can prove it they can get a million dollars from a website. Also i believe chi is perhaps more of a mind set then anything else or the small amount of electricy that runs threw your nerves.

Touch Of Death

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
If a person believes he has instilled magik into a blade or gun, that very belief may be what turns the tide in his or her favor. They "make it happen" so to speak. This can work against them with overconfidence but where do you draw the line? I've long since stopped believing that my particular martial art is superior to all the others; however, perhaps I've lost the edge that my prior beliefs gave me. I guess I'll just keep practicing. (gotta feed the wall)
Sean

OP
P

Phil Elmore

Master of Arts
Reaction score
#1. You mentioned you were "Pagan." I was wondering if you could elaborate.

You can PM me if you want about this, Paul; I think getting into a discussion of Paganism would range too far off topic for the general forum.

#2. I know very little about Chinese styles in general (other then the fact that most schools that claim to teach them in MI. are crap). A very good friend of mine did learn a traditional style when he spent 3 years in China, ghoujo province (sp?), which I was able to experience a bit.

I was wondering if you could elaborate a bit on your style, and specifically your methods of CHI developement.

The Wing Chun school where I train is http://www.syracusewingchun.com . The other art in which I train is found at http://www.shanliangli.com .

#3. What inspired you to write this post, anyways?

I already wrote the article for The Martialist but reprinted it as part of a conversation at another forum in which the ideas of "faith" and "imagination" came up. I figured it would make a good stand-alone topic so I pasted it here and elsewhere.

old_sempai

Green Belt
Reaction score
New Jersey, way in the woods with 2 dogs, one pass
Phil:

Does Bruce B know you post on this site?

For shame don't you know that Chi/Ki is a mystical force, and you have to use the force Luke!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :p

It's not unlike the mystical interpretations of Ai Ki Do. I love the western translations: "The Way of Harmony," but depending on which Kanji is used it can also be translated as: "The Way of Uniting Energy." Bruce Lee described it well when he said something about " Being formless like water - when water is in a cup it takes the form of the cup."

:asian:

OULobo

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Very scary picture Phil :D

I don't really buy the magick thing (at least in the gnostic/crowlian sense). I think the power of the mind is in its effect on its own body, but I don't think it can do much to another's body except though interacting with its own. As Don said, I do like the principles behind Aikido's ki. I think controlling your own body though will can be the most powerful thing in the world.

The most use I have found for focusing my Chi is heating up some ramen noodles with my hand when my hot pot is on the fitz. :rofl:

Aegis

Purple Belt
Reaction score
Originally posted by Sharp Phil
Chi power cannot be focused to knock you down without touching you.

----

No-touch knockouts do not work and do not exist. Believe in chi or don't, but don't ask unrealistic things of it.

But if they don't work how will I market my super-uber-long range martial art that I spent all of yesterday making up (plus £2.35 worth of crayons and fake certificates)???

You've ruined my life, now I'm gonna come round and chi-ball your face

Latest Discussions