Chi

S

Snipes

guys i'm new as you know and chi is a big part of martial arts and I have never felt this I don't believe. one of the things I do in my dojo when we warm up is a black belt walk over each one of us and essentialy we flex our stomach's then he said nice chi as he was on top of me lol. but is chi your strength of your muscles or something else? i believe its something else because many masters of the arts can break bricks with focus of the mind and without hardly any effort, to me thats a little more than body strength. So what is it and how do i learn to use it and manipulate it?
-Snipes

OP
T

theneuhauser

maybe manipulate is not the best word.

chi is most simply translated as energy or breath. it is the power that is inside of everything, "life giving energy" would be a good, simple description. any internal martial art would be a good start to developing chi.

OP
S

Snipes

ok so how do you develop it and put it to use? so its like your body strength and your focus combined and then they call it "chi"?
-Snipes

Matt Stone

Master of Arts
Reaction score
What school do you train at? I would be curious to know... Is it Chinese or something else? You mentioned that you are a white belt, and while some Chinese styles have incorporated rankings of some sort, it is both uncommon to see, and even more uncommon to see belts used as opposed to sashes...

I will be moving to the Fort Lewis area in September, and we have two training groups for Yiliquan (an internal art that uses qi) - one in Seattle and one in Puyallup.

Perhaps you could meet with the folks there and ask whatever questions you have of them...?

Gambarimasu.

:samurai: :tank: :samurai:

OP
S

Snipes

I train with a 10th dan Grandmaster Archibeque in tumwater. He studied in China for many years and developed his own style called Gun Fu. When you get all settled here look me up in the training partner thread and we'll hook up. Thanks for replying. Anything else 'bout qi would be appreciated.
-Snipes

Latest Discussions