chi/ki

tshadowchaser

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Founding Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I know that chi or ki is refered to in most of the arts that rely on striking with the hands and feet and that it is refered to in aikido but I donot ever remember a judo instructor or an instructor in the Filipino martial arts (the ones teaching stick and knife arts) talking about the use of chi.
Are there other arts that do not use this idea but rely on body machanics or whatever or claim that chi/ki dose not exsist at all?
Shadow

Cthulhu

Senior Master
Founding Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Well, the FMA as I'm practicing now doesn't refer to chi/ki, but we do utilize sensitivity of the opponent's 'energy', which could be explained as the amount of pressure being applied by the opponent's limb(s).

Kano Jigoro, the founder of judo, witnessed an aikido demonstration and said something to the effect that aikido was judo at its highest level.

I think it all depends on how each individual defines ki/chi. That will determine how the concept is taught (or isn't) from school to school.

Cthulhu

G

GouRonin

My old Judo instructor did make use of ki/chi during throws and taught it as such.

Latest Discussions