Senior Master
Reaction score
pete said:
circles, diamonds, hearts, moons, clovers...always after me lucky charms~
They're magically
Destructive...

Your Brother
John
PS: IS Tony the Tiger's "THeirrrrr GREAT!" Actually a Kiai or what???

Brother John

Senior Master
Reaction score
Phoenix44 said:
Also, you can poke attackers in the eye with those compass things.:knight:
Yeah, my grandpa, the "Master Mason" taught me that one.
You can all so trip them up with your square, beat them over the head with your 24 inch guage and strangle them with your apron strings.
Just be sure not to leave the body in the middle of the Lodge.
The older brothers tend to trip over it.

familycraft.gif

Your Brother
John

GAB

3rd Black Belt
Reaction score
Hello:

I see that Brother John has brought forth the Masonic Mon.

In my humble opinion. The Masonic tradition has been one of the main movers regarding the martial arts.

Kenpo as we know it today is only about 60+ years old, Kempo goes back further. The Chinese arts and some of the FMA (masonic influence FMA) goes back further.

Okinawan and Japanese are quite intertwined. The Chinese and the Okinawan are also intertwined.

If you study the origins of Geometry and the influence it has had into Western Culture in the last 500 years+ you will find, much has to do with Masonic influence.

The Universal Pattern that is so much apart of AK/EPAK. Comes directly from that teaching (masonic).

Regards, Gary

MichiganTKD

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
In my opinion, one of the things that separate traditional from so called "freestyle" arts is this adherence to geometric and physical laws. Geometry brings order to nature. And by using geometric principles in martial arts, you bring a sense of stability and beauty as well as art and science.
For instance, it is one thing to say "a front stance should be done about like this...". However, an isosceles triangle (a triangle with three equidistant sides) is very stable and strong. Using this model provides a known and stable method of doing this stance. You can visualize exactly where to place your feet. Using a concept like parallel also helps students better understand chambering certain kicks, as opposed to dropping the knee because they don't know how to keep their leg.

cdhall

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
In Ed Parker's American Kenpo we have the Universal Pattern. It is totally geometric and representative of any possible way in which we can move in combat. The pattern contains both straight and curved lines, quarter, half and full circles including circles that touch and overlap each other. It also contains squares, diamonds, rectangles, triangles, crosses, crisscrosses, hearts, figure eights, and overlapping and elongated figure eights, octogons, etc., As I am learning form a wise Kenpo dude ;) ...when the Universal Pattern is repeated and meshed on seven different intersecting planes, your Universal Pattern of how we move in combat is complete. We are encouraged to use movement within this pattern that is useful to us in our self defense.

patron_universal.gif

I was going to bring this up.
But I have been away for a long time and I see this is an old thread and that most of the users have been closed out.

Hmmm...

But I've used the Universal Pattern as illustrated to show students how we are trying to execute a certain move. I've found it a very handy teaching aid.

Latest Discussions