chi flow

Tigron

White Belt
Reaction score
hey does anyone know how to flow chi through your body.

I get that its a type of energy that flows through your body. But how do you control it?

OP
T

Tigron

White Belt
Reaction score
I'm self taught so i dont know much about chi. my martial art is mostly kicks and flips of all kind.

kwaichang

Purple Belt
Reaction score
Don't feel bad, that reply wasn't in your best interests nor the best advice offered.

Read over all of the advice, there are some excellent suggestions. Ignore the dirogatory ones.

Flying Crane

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
Don't feel bad, that reply wasn't in your best interests nor the best advice offered.

Read over all of the advice, there are some excellent suggestions. Ignore the dirogatory ones.

actually, I don't think that Xue was being derogatory. He was actually giving very good advice, even if it seemed snippy.

You absolutely need a good teacher for this. If you do some things wrong, you can actually hurt yourself. If you don't hurt yourself, it is almost guaranteed that you will only waste your time and not make any gains.

It's too bad you cannot find a real teacher in your area. The truth may be that at this time, you cannot train your qi. That's just life. Some things just should not be done without proper guidance. If proper guidance is not available, don't do it.

punisher73

Senior Master
Reaction score
If you are intent on self-study. Maybe you can go a different route to learn and look into a book called "Engergy Medicine" by Donna Eden. She doesn't talk about "chi" per se, but she talks about the differing energy systems of the body (meridians, chakras, etc.) she also gives you drills that will help to align those energies properly.

If you type in "donna eden" on youtube she has a video clip on a 5 minute daily routine that is supposed to help out alot.

Flying Crane

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
You can certainly do some background research and educate yourself about qi. I just don't think you will make much real progress without a good teacher.

So, I would recommend this book: The Root of Chinese Qi-Gong, by Dr. Yang Jwing-Ming. It is a good resource to begin to understand the theory behind qi.

Check out this link: http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_ss_g...ooks&field-keywords=yang+jwing-ming&x=10&y=25

There are a number of other books he has written, and you may find them useful and educational as well.

mograph

Master of Arts
Reaction score
Like the others, I recommend you get a teacher. But whatever you do, do it gently and gradually.

JadecloudAlchemist

Master of Arts
Reaction score
hey does anyone know how to flow chi through your body.
It flows without you having to make it flow.
This question is similar to asking how to flow blood thru your body.

I get that its a type of energy that flows through your body. But how do you control it?
I don't understand the question. Can you explain it?

I'm self taught so i dont know much about chi.
If you don't know much and you are teaching yourself it does not seem like a good teacher.

Tried that but all of them around my area are fake buisness man
Why do you think that?

OP
T

Tigron

White Belt
Reaction score
It flows without you having to make it flow.
This question is similar to asking how to flow blood thru your body.

I don't understand the question. Can you explain it?

If you don't know much and you are teaching yourself it does not seem like a good teacher.

Why do you think that?
how do i use chi to my advantage. Like making body parts endure a blow. or using chi to strike harder.

Flying Crane

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
Here's a place to check out: http://www.seattlekungfuclub.com/index.html

Sifu John Leong is a respected sifu of Hung Gar method, in Seattle. I realize that's a bit far from Portland, but it's possible that he may have students teaching in your area. I'd suggest you begin your search here, contact the main school and find out what he might recommend. This goes as well for your desire to learn iron body methods. Get a good grounding in a method like Hung Gar, under a good instructor, and qi and iron body training may become possible within that context. According to he website, he also teaches taiji chuan.

JadecloudAlchemist

Master of Arts
Reaction score
how do i use chi to my advantage

By understanding theory. By understanding which Qi you are talking about and how they all relate.

Like making body parts endure a blow. or using chi to strike harder.
Qi plays only a small part and with a teacher who knows theory you will understand.

Flying Crane

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
how do i use chi to my advantage. Like making body parts endure a blow. or using chi to strike harder.

This is a very subtle skill. Most people, even those who train for decades, never acquire this ability. I believe that those who can really do this are rare, few and far between. Many people CLAIM that they can, but I am skeptical of most of these claims. For the most part, this is the stuff of movies.

However, qi does exist, and thru diligent training it is possible to learn to become aware of it and even control it to some degree. It can be used to "enhance" your martial technique, as well as boost your health. But understand this: it is not a magical bullet that flattens all foes. It is subtle and elusive and difficult to really master. Get ready to be frustrated.

Xue Sheng

All weight is underside
Reaction score
Apologies if I was terse.

Qigong and qi training is not as easy as many think. I never recommend self training in qigong and I always recommend finding a teacher.

If you had some training with a sifu my response may or may not be different depending on how long you had trained,

However I will say listen to what has been said here and that as far as I am concerned if it is the subject of qigong I would follow what JadecloudAlchemist says. And I would follow Flying Crane as well.

Formosa Neijia

Green Belt
Reaction score
Qigong and qi training is not as easy as many think. I never recommend self training in qigong and I always recommend finding a teacher.

I agree completely. None of the other advice in this thread will make any difference. You MUST have a teacher that knows this stuff to get it, and even then you may not be able to do it. There really just is nothing else to say. Any other advice would be wasted on you because you don't have the background training to understand it. And unless you do, all the books and videos in the world aren't going to help.