Chess.

Nightingale

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
hehe... now, when wes kicks my tail at chess, you won't know if its because he really did or because I let him.

<evil grin>

jfarnsworth

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Originally posted by nightingale8472

hehe... now, when wes kicks my tail at chess, you won't know if its because he really did or because I let him.

<evil grin>

you all are tooooooooooooo much
Jason Farnsworth

I love chess by the way. Like kenpo it lets your mind wander and you usually forget about every day daily problems.

Nightingale

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
well, chess isn't really a "let your mind wander" activity for me... its more of a "doh! that was a really stupid move!" type activity.

jfarnsworth

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Originally posted by nightingale8472

well, chess isn't really a "let your mind wander" activity for me... its more of a "doh! that was a really stupid move!" type activity.

I know what you mean. The chess part I was meaning was that nothing else really bothers you and it's a nice break to get away from reality so to speak. I play chess almost every morning. We usually don't finish any games of chess there's not enough time unless he just trashes me. The guy I play with has won some championships and I have only been playing for about 9 months now but I do lose every game.
:)
Jason

ace

Master of Arts
Reaction score
Hey whats the difference between
Chess & Checkers???????? (Please tell Me)

Submisson Wrestling is oftean called
HumanChess.

:armed: :armed:
Wicked Sweet

Nightingale

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
checkers pieces are little flat discs... you capture your opponents pieces by jumping over them to the square behind them. You get a more powerful checker (a king) by getting a regular checker to the other end of the board. All checkers are created equal.

chess pieces look very different from each other. They have different movement patterns corresponding to different pieces... (the king can move in any direction, but the pawn can only go forward). Pieces are captured when you land on top of them (not behind them like checkers). Pieces are definitely not equal, and the Queen is considered the most powerful piece on the board. If you get a pawn to the other end of the board, it gets promoted to any piece you want (usually a queen... so theoretically, you could have nine queens on the board at the same time, but this never actually happens unless you're playing someone who really doesn't know what they're doing)

both msn.com and pogo.com have games online, and I'm pretty sure one of them at least has chess and checkers.

http://games.msn.com
http://www.pogo.com

OP
W

WilliamTLear

Originally posted by jfarnsworth

The guy I play with has won some championships and I have only been playing for about 9 months now but I do lose every game.
:)
Jason

Where's the fun in that. When I first learned how to play Checkers my grandfather used to throw every fourth or fifth game just to keep me comming back for more. (I loved him for that.)

All in all I think Chess is a good escape, but the competitive side does emerge when I get beat more than a few times.

On a side note... I find that I win almost every time when I play the white side, and I' more apt to loose when playing black. Is there a reason for this? Curious?

Take Care,
Billy Lear

Nightingale

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Originally posted by WilliamTLear

All in all I think Chess is a good escape, but the competitive side does emerge when I get beat more than a few times.

hehe... I noticed.

On a side note... I find that I win almost every time when I play the white side, and I' more apt to loose when playing black. Is there a reason for this? Curious?

well, from watching you play....

when I play white and make the first move, you concentrate more on how to counteract what I do (she moved here...so I should do this...) ...you play defense, blocking.

when you play white and make the first move, you concentrate on your own playing, and play offence. when you play white, you're more agressive, striking (and more likely to make trouble).

<grin>

Dronak

Black Belt
Founding Member
Reaction score
I think that nightingale8472 is right on the white/black difference. If you play white, then you get the first move and you automatically have the initiative. I can't recall the real chess definition of what that means, but someone else might. I think basically though you tend to have more control of what's going on and it's easier to attack and go on the offensive if you have a little more control over the situation. If you play black, you don't get that advantage at the start and it can tend to lead to defensive play, trying to counter what white is doing. A key point about playing black is that you need to find a way to take the initiative, take it away from white so you have it for yourself. At that point the tables are turned, so to speak, and it will be easier for you to take the offense and force white into a more defensive role. Obviously you'd like to be able to play both sides equally well, but I think it is a little easier to play white because white gets the advantage of the first move and the initiative.

OP
W

WilliamTLear

I understand the initiative part. White is easier because it has the first move, duh. I guess I should have asked a tactics question. How do you typically take charge of the situation and win the initiative back when playing black?

My Kenpo Brothers shall save my *** nightingale8472, you're dog meat!!! :armed:

Nightingale

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Originally posted by WilliamTLear

nightingale8472, you're dog meat!!! :armed:

HMMPH. ya know, that comment could be pretty insulting if a girl took it the wrong way, Billy. <grin>

The way I take initiative when I play black: I ignore my opponent's first move and play as if I was making the first move.

Dronak

Black Belt
Founding Member
Reaction score
Offhand, I don't think I could tell you how to do it. I rarely play chess, so I'm not that good at it. I do have a couple of books on the subject though, so maybe if I think about it I'll check them and post something here. Nightingale has one idea for doing it, but I'm not sure that really works. It might help your mindset, but just pretending you have the first move when you don't shouldn't necessarily give you the initiative. I think the general idea behind taking the initiative is that you've got to look for some weakness in your opponent's position. Try to gain a material advantage or a position advantage that you can use to your benefit. If you can find and exploit an opponent's weakness, that should give you the initiative and an advantage. How you go about finding the weakness is a whole different subject though. :) But I think that's the idea, as black you start play by countering white, but always be on the lookout for a weakness you can exploit to turn things around and force white to go on the defensive.

OP
F

fissure

it is easy to get caught up in playing defense when playing black! one of my favorite strategies is to keep constant pressure on the bishop's pawn on the kings side, while figuring out what my opponent is trying to do.if he is making a strong push for the middle i either try to screw it up for him ( if he gives me the chance!) or castle and split my attack between the above mentioned square and any other that he may have weakened due to his advance.
sometimes i just tip the whole board over and accuse them of being vicious cheaters! :D

jfarnsworth

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Billy, I still get enjoyment out of losing. I'll tell you why. The guy I play with is so sound with his movements, pieces, and strategy I learn on each and every game. He let me install chessmaster7000 on my pc so I do get a chance to win during this period of play when facing someone of lower ability than he does.

Now onto the White question. There are a few main elements of chess. Space, material, and development. Space has what I would say a sub-cat. control and spatial advantage. Material's sub-cat. elements, exchange, open files. Development sub-cat. tempo, pawn structure, and a couple others I can't recall at the moment. As white develops it's pieces first, that person has a better chance at controlling the center as well as controlling better what other minor/major pieces can come into the game faster. Black has to react to white's threats or try to develop in a different manner to send out the minor/major pieces. When white starts to control and gain the tempo of the match black virtually has to just respond or react. At least this is how my games go. He usually instructs me in the ways and terms I understand. Being in kenpo was much easier for me to understand chess now than when I was younger. Hopefully this helps.
Salute,
Jason Farnsworth

OP
W

WilliamTLear

So how do you change the tide when the ******'s are eating your front line and your scrambling your court for the hills? LOL!

It sounds like you are talking about taking the path of least resistance, but how do you bait the ******'s into giving you the initiative?

Thanks Guys... I am intrigued,
Billy Lear

jfarnsworth

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
It's actually kind of easy. You may already do this but make a rule with whom your playing with to every other game switch to who's white/black.
Jason

Latest Discussions