Chess.

B

bscastro

Any chess players here? I notice a lot of similarities between chess and martial arts, and I wouldn't be surprised to see a decent percentage of martial artists who also enjoy chess.

Bryan

cdhall

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
I know what Chess is, I play with my son, but I'm not any good at it.

I mean I haven't studied it, but I understand that like Kenpo, there are pre-determined techniques that you can learn which provide you responses to certain situations.

I plan to study it formally with my son. I may buy a Chessmaster game or something that will teach this stuff to us.

One of the schools I'm trying to get my son into, has a Chess club and they are very good so I'm looking forward to that happening.

Mr. Parker said that Kenpo also lots in common with pocket billiards and I'm embarassed that I'm not any better at that game. It is also something I'd like to work on.

Yari

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
I played chess long before I started MA.... maybe that's why I started MA? :D

/Yari

OP
B

bscastro

Originally posted by cdhall

I know what Chess is, I play with my son, but I'm not any good at it.

I mean I haven't studied it, but I understand that like Kenpo, there are pre-determined techniques that you can learn which provide you responses to certain situations.

I plan to study it formally with my son. I may buy a Chessmaster game or something that will teach this stuff to us.

One of the schools I'm trying to get my son into, has a Chess club and they are very good so I'm looking forward to that happening.

That's great. I love chess and would recommend Chess Mentor for you and your son. It is strictly for teaching and is the best computer tool for teaching beginners.. Chessmaster is good for playing and also has some instruction.

I think Chess (and other activities) are similar to martial arts because when you are at a certain level, you must "personalize" your style. Although you may study a specific style, you must develop your own "personality" within your style. As with chess, there are different strategies for those who are more defensive, or like to take risks, or who like to attack, etc.

Cheers,
Bryan

Dronak

Black Belt
Founding Member
Reaction score
I can play chess, but don't very often so I'm not that good at it. From the little I've done with it, cdhall is right about predetermined techniques. That might not be the best way to put it, but the idea's about right. There are specific end game situations you basically have to memorize and know how to win them, if you have the advantage, or avoid losing as long as possible to give your opponent more time to make a mistake, if you don't. I'm thinking stuff like K & P vs. K, K & R vs. K, those things. There are also sort of general rules that help you out based on position of the board and things like that, such as if the board's open a bishop is generally more useful than a knight since it can span long distances in one move, but if the board's closed the knight's jumping ability makes it more useful than a bishop. Anyway, since I'm no chess expert I'd better stop before I remember something completely wrong or screw up somehow. :)

OP
K

Kenpo_student

I am not that good though. Excellent exercise in strategy. :)

OP
F

fissure

I love chess - and I'm fairly good at it! I know, my hummility is second to none:D

OP
F

Field Cricket

Here's a little factoid that you may or may not find interesting: the board game Go is regarded as a martial art in Japan, and is complete with a kyu-dan ranking system for the players! :)

FC

OP
B

bscastro

The neat thing I like about chess is that you can actually determine how good you are through ratings. That way, you have a general idea about your ability.

Bryan

OP
A

Abbax8

I have read where judo is described as "Physical Chess"

Peace
Dennis

Cthulhu

Senior Master
Founding Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Originally posted by Field Cricket

Here's a little factoid that you may or may not find interesting: the board game Go is regarded as a martial art in Japan, and is complete with a kyu-dan ranking system for the players! :)

FC

I remember seeing Go matches on TV back when I lived in Japan. I'd watch them every so often, even though I had no clue what the hell was going on :)

Cthulhu

Rich Parsons

A Student of Martial Arts
Founding Member
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I have played Chess and enjoyed it.

In College the Chess Club had a really good guy who was ranked, I most certainly was not. I was the Treasurer to make sure they filled out their forms to get sponsorship from teh student government. Point is that this guy could beat 4 people at once when they were all playing by standard openings. If I was one of the four, almost always one of the other guys could sneak in a win. How, I played Random as this guy would say. Matter of fact while he was studying our board he would be muttering 'Random' over and over again.

A good fighter in any art knows how to move and set up their opponenet to get a reaction to be able to attack what your are after. In chess you might sacrafice a pawn to get a knight or a bishop. In MArtial Arts one might open oneself up to get a reaction from an opponent to be able to get a destruction or joint lock.

This is not to say that you could not say the same thing about this and basketball, or soccor (aka football).

Talk to you all later

Rich
:)

Nightingale

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
well, Billy Lear got his tail kicked in chess by yours truly last night...

however, I feel the need to point out that I totally suck at chess, so I wonder what that says about Billy...?

Wes Idol

Green Belt
Reaction score
::::::in a badly dubbed way::::::::

"Your the one who killed my brotha.......now you have to deal with me!"

Yes Mam, please make it a point to bring that chess board to the studio next Monday, as I must avenge the death of our student, one William T. Lear.

Respectfully,
Master of the Druken-Bunny-Foot-Fighting Society!

Nightingale

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
like I said, I'm not great at chess, but if you'd like to play match or two, I'm all for a little friendly competition.

...feeling the need to point out that said "william T lear" contributed to his own demise by snapping his own royal pieces in half...accidentally, he claims (though how you manage to accidentally break both the king AND queen in half in one fell swoop, I have no clue :rofl: ), and I must concede that he did make a rapid trip to stater brothers to obtain super glue to fix them, and grovelled sufficiently, so all is forgiven.

(and if he's reading this thread, he's gonna kick my tail next time he sees me) doh!

Wes Idol

Green Belt
Reaction score
Originally posted by nightingale8472

...feeling the need to point out that said "william T lear" contributed to his own demise by snapping his own royal pieces in half...accidentally, he claims

What can I say? Mongo like candy.

(though how you manage to accidentally break both the king AND queen in half in one fell swoop, I have no clue :rofl: ),

As ugly as Franky was, remember, he didn't mean harm, he just thought the little girl wanted to go swimming.

I must concede that he did make a rapid trip to stater brothers to obtain super glue to fix them, and grovelled sufficiently, so all is forgiven.

Well done, B.

(and if he's reading this thread, he's gonna kick my tail next time he sees me) doh!

Funny...you don't really get a lot of "Doh's" these days.

OP
W

WilliamTLear

well, Billy Lear got his tail kicked in chess by yours truly last night...

however, I feel the need to point out that I totally suck at chess, so I wonder what that says about Billy...?

Of course, she won't tell you about how she lost the night after the slaughter. LOL!

...feeling the need to point out that said "william T lear" contributed to his own demise by snapping his own royal pieces in half...accidentally, he claims

The pieces were made of alabaster, and I dropped the queen on the king (breaking the pieces when they struck each other). It was an accident... I did of course, go to the store and buy some super glue and fix them afterwards. You can barely tell they were ever broken (you'd need to look with a magnifying glass).

MONGO SORRY :rolleyes:

I'm not going to kick your tail, Wes is!!! :D I'm gunna bring the marshmallows to roast over your smoldering carcass after he finishes you off. (Like Han Solo said in Star Wars: "Take my advice, let the Wookie win.") :rofl:

Nightingale

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
ooohhhh... so wes is a wookie and I am to throw the game so he wins and doesn't beat me to a pulp. got it. consider the game thrown.

:D

Wes Idol

Green Belt
Reaction score

ooohhhh... so wes is a wookie and I am to throw the game so he wins and doesn't beat me to a pulp. got it. consider the game thrown.

:D

In the movie, the Wookie ends up ripping your arms out if he looses. Now, the biggest difference with me (besides ability to speak English and much less hair), is I was raised with lots of sisters. I know how tough woman really are...........I would only reach for your arm if you said it was ok

WI

Latest Discussions