Extremely Mixed Martial Art - Chessboxing

tellner

Senior Master
Reaction score
Chessboxing. What an odd, interesting sport. Alternating rounds of boxing and chess.
Mathematics student Nikolai Sazhin, 19, competing under the name "The President'' knocked out a 37-year-old German policeman Frank Stoldt, who served as a peacekeeper in Kosovo until recently.

The loser said he was simply too punch-drunk to fend off checkmate.

"I took a lot of body-blows in the fourth round and that affected my concentration. That's why I made a big mistake in the fifth round: I did not see him coming for my king,'' he said.

I can see the MMA equivalent. As soon as the competitors are in the guard, out comes the chess set with a half hour limit :)

exile

To him unconquered.
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Let's run with this idea, shall we?

Competitive trapeze/differential equation solving: Alternating rounds of up-against-the-wall linked trapeze catching over a fifty-meter drop followed by a half hour in which to solve a nastily designed fourth degree partial differential equation... then back to the abyss! Ten alternating rounds! :)

Chariot double dactyls! Two circuits around a reconstructed Roman race track using Celtic style battle chariots (i.e., whirling blades on the wheels) followed by at least two perfect double dactyl compositions, or you're out of the competition! Six rounds max... it's too hard on the horses otherwise...

Logic puzzle-to-chicken! You and your oppenent face off against each other solving tripos-level reasoning puzzles designed by Smullyan and other logic sadists for fifteen minutes... then it's into genuine souped-up 1950s hot rods to play 'chicken', where you drive head on at your opponent till the one with the lesser nerve and greater potential for impacting the gene pool swerves out of the way. Posthumous championships awarded!

I like the whole idea of this kind of thing... :EG:

jks9199

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Ummm...I get the idea of mixing brains and brawn, but....it's not drawing me in yet.
I think that it would be more interesting in the version that's been conceived in several places, including Harry Potter and Star Trek.

Play "Human Chess", and let the competitors duke it out for captures!

kidswarrior

Senior Master
Reaction score
Chest boxing, you say? Hmmm, chest boxing. Would this be bumping chests for the right to occupy a square on a giant board? Or boxing with blows to the chest only, like, ummm, what's-it (the JMA that uses punches to the chest) on a 64-square checked mat inside a ring? Then I guess, every punch landed on a dark square would count as a Yin point, and light squares as Yang. Or, maybe some would prefer dark for Yin... Oh, nevermind, I'm getting dizzy. :erg:

OP
tellner

tellner

Senior Master
Reaction score
It's the contrast from hard, visceral physical competition to abstract problem solving and back again that makes it interesting. The ability to make extreme state changes quickly is useful and not easy.

There's a story along these lines about Cyrano de Bergerac. Yes, he was a real person. He was famous for his self control and ability to remain calm no matter what was going on around him. In one duel he composed and then recited a ballade or sonnet during a duel, ending the recitation and the opponent's earthly existence at the same moment.

kidswarrior

Senior Master
Reaction score
It's the contrast from hard, visceral physical competition to abstract problem solving and back again that makes it interesting. The ability to make extreme state changes quickly is useful and not easy.

There's a story along these lines about Cyrano de Bergerac. Yes, he was a real person. He was famous for his self control and ability to remain calm no matter what was going on around him. In one duel he composed and then recited a ballade or sonnet during a duel, ending the recitation and the opponent's earthly existence at the same moment.
Sounds like the consummate Renaissance man.

Brian R. VanCise

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
I saw this about a year ago and yes it is extremely mixed martial art. Very different and strange.
icon6.gif

jks9199

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score

Was it Heinlein or Zelazny who stole that idea along the way? I remember the hero of the story encounters someone, and they have a sword fight where the hero is pushed to a new level by his opponent's insistence on reciting/writing poetry...

exile

To him unconquered.
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Was it Heinlein or Zelazny who stole that idea along the way? I remember the hero of the story encounters someone, and they have a sword fight where the hero is pushed to a new level by his opponent's insistence on reciting/writing poetry...

Sounds like something Zalazny would have done in the Amber series...

CuongNhuka

Senior Master
Reaction score

I'm sold. If they have a tournament around me, I'm playing! Anyone know any sites were I could refresh my chess skills?

Oh, and I acidently stole that thing about Mr. Bergerac in a D&D game. Really ticked off the Attach though.

OP
tellner

tellner

Senior Master
Reaction score

It was Heinlein in Glory Road. The protagonist fights the Eater of Souls who takes the form of Cyrano. They duel and improvise poetry.

Latest Discussions