Charging/Broken Ram

OP
JamesB

JamesB

Green Belt
Reaction score
Kenpoist said:
Doc,
The charging ram technique is for a "tackle" with arms in close, so you are getting out of the way by sliding (this is how you get to the neutral bow - I will disagree with you that this cannot yield a stable base by sliding) your foot to 3 o'clock while parrying your attacker's left arm and delivering a right overhead downward chop.

Broken Ram is for the wide armed "tackle" which is why you trap your attacker's left arm with your right arm and proceed with the arm break.

If your technique is for a 'committed tackle' then it is not possible to establish a base strong enough to defend the assault by sliding into a neutral bow. You really need to spend some time with Doc's croud in order to understand why this is true.

What you are also saying, is that you are anticipating the attack early enough so that you get out of the way and avoid all contact with the attaker. Fair enough, but what are you going to do if the attacker actually does make contact with you?

Apart from Doc, no-one has actually provided a plausible solution for how to defend these attacks at the point when the attacker actually gets his arms around you...

Kenpojujitsu3

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
JamesB said:
If your technique is for a 'committed tackle' then it is not possible to establish a base strong enough to defend the assault by sliding into a neutral bow. You really need to spend some time with Doc's croud in order to understand why this is true.

What you are also saying, is that you are anticipating the attack early enough so that you get out of the way and avoid all contact with the attaker. Fair enough, but what are you going to do if the attacker actually does make contact with you?

Apart from Doc, no-one has actually provided a plausible solution for how to defend these attacks at the point when the attacker actually gets his arms around you...

I agree with the rest but that's a BOLD statement (Pun intended). I just happened to come from a Larry Tatum seminar on Kenpo Grappling last night and tackles were definitely adressed with the opponent's arms around and contact made. And the stuff worked, where as being a grappler I usually scoff a bit at non-grapplers' takedown defense. Doc's stuff works, no question....as for being the ONLY ONE.....I don't think so.

OP
JamesB

JamesB

Green Belt
Reaction score
Kenpojujitsu3 said:
I agree with the rest but that's a BOLD statement (Pun intended). I just happened to come from a Larry Tatum seminar on Kenpo Grappling last night and tackles were definitely adressed with the opponent's arms around and contact made. And the stuff worked, where as being a grappler I usually scoff a bit at non-grapplers' takedown defense. Doc's stuff works, no question....as for being the ONLY ONE.....I don't think so.

I don't doubt that people can make these techniques work, and I should make it clear that I'm not attacking anyone's way of doing kenpo....but so far on this *particular thread*, with what's been posted so far, I'm not seeing any indication as to what the solution might be...

My own tests revealed (to me) that stepping backwards into a rear-twist was not sufficient for creating a stance stable enough to withstand the impact of someone crashing into you. I tested it, alot. Both techniques only worked if the attacker either missed you, or was compliant and stopped his movement forwards when he sensed you moving away.

So really I'm trying to understand what people are doing to survive a violent takedown, when the attacker makes contact and drives you backwards... Is there extra footwork involved, or something going on with the arms maybe? I can't figure it out from what's been posted so far, and from my perspective, the various strikes that comprise these techniques are useless unless one can survive the tackle and deal with the attacker's forward momentum.

Latest Discussions