Censorship

Gyakuto

Senior Master
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Are there certain posters on this board that you find objectionable enough, or simply irritating, that you have decided to blocked their posts? Is it just me? Is it me? If so, what is your motivation? (Since discretion is the better part of valour, please donā€™t mention the names of anyone you may have blocked).

I think years of objectionable Twitter-posts for political leaders, the ubiquity of David Brent/Michael Scott-types and the erroneous idea that everyoneā€™s opinion on anything is valid have worn me down and I just want to hear from these people. I have left Facebook for the same reason.

Monkey Turned Wolf

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Back before I was a mod there were a few. Most are no longer on here. I removed everyone from my ignore list though a couple months after becoming a mod-coincidentally those were the people reports were coming in about the most, and I needed to be able to read/understand context of any given report.

Before that though, my main motivation was my own sense of calm. Certain posters would just irk me, especially when I knew that they understand something and are purposefully being thick about it. Was just easier to not read it, and chuckle at the others still arguing with them.

Monkey Turned Wolf

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Back before I was a mod there were a few. Most are no longer on here. I removed everyone from my ignore list though a couple months after becoming a mod-coincidentally those were the people reports were coming in about the most, and I needed to be able to read/understand context of any given report.

Before that though, my main motivation was my own sense of calm. Certain posters would just irk me, especially when I knew that they understand something and are purposefully being thick about it. Was just easier to not read it, and chuckle at the others still arguing with them.
I don't think I ever kept anyone on for more than 6 months at a time though. There's always the chance someone will come back around and be more beneficial to discussions, and not giving the chance to find that out hurts the blocker, not the blockee.

Xue Sheng

All weight is underside
Reaction score
I have a few on ignore, and there they will stay. However I only put folks on ignore that I feel have absolutely nothing to add of use to any conversation. I also use it at time as a temporary break for folks who are annoying me, and likely I am annoying them too. But they come off because, in the long run, they do contribute much to MT

Holmejr

Black Belt
Reaction score
Am I wrong in thinking that this a privately owned/ran forum and arenā€™t there moderators that police the content? My thought is that if the moderator allow a post then itā€™s allowed and it is up to me to ignore or not. Also , Everybody wears different panties of sensitivity and I find over sensitivity just as perturbing. Maybe ones MA doesnā€™t culture the balance and calmness they claim it doesā€¦.I know mine doesnā€™t. Lol!

OP
Gyakuto

Gyakuto

Senior Master
Supporting Member
Reaction score

What kind of posts irk you? The ones that wind me up are simply an avenue to blow the posters own trumpetā€¦show they have some knowledge even if itā€™s only slightly relevant.

You must have the patience of a saint to me a moderator šŸ˜‡

OP
Gyakuto

Gyakuto

Senior Master
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Am I wrong in thinking that this a privately owned/ran forum and arenā€™t there moderators that police the content? My thought is that if the moderator allow a post then itā€™s allowed and it is up to me to ignore or not. Also , Everybody wears different panties of sensitivity and I find over sensitivity just as perturbing. Maybe ones MA doesnā€™t culture the balance and calmness they claim it doesā€¦.I know mine doesnā€™t. Lol!
I assume theyā€™re ensuring the posts donā€™t violate the forum rules rather than display intelligence, critical analysis and a vague sense of humilityšŸ˜€

Steve

Mostly Harmless
Reaction score
I know Iā€™m on some folkā€™s ignore lists, and for people who need it, Iā€™m glad the function is there. I think who people ignore and how they go about it is pretty interesting and informative.

My belief is most of the time, when someone puts someone on their permanent ignore list, itā€™s because they were confronted with a hard truth about themselves and they didnā€™t like it. If you think youā€™re open minded and someone challenges that, or if you think youā€™re a fighter, or if you think youā€™re an expert on some thing or otherā€¦ and someone suggests maybe youā€™re not as expert as you think or maybe you have a gaping blind spot. Nobody likes that, but it says a lot to me about their character how they respond to it.

We have some folks here who are, frankly, delusional. They have created an internal fiction. And mostly, thatā€™s harmless. The stakes are pretty low.

For my part, I will mute some folks from time to time, but generally not longer than a few weeks. I like to read all the posts, even the ones with which I disagree.

OP
Gyakuto

Gyakuto

Senior Master
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I know Iā€™m on some folkā€™s ignore lists, and for people who need it, Iā€™m glad the function is there. I think who people ignore and how they go about it is pretty interesting and informative.

My belief is most of the time, when someone puts someone on their permanent ignore list, itā€™s because they were confronted with a hard truth about themselves and they didnā€™t like it. If you think youā€™re open minded and someone challenges that, or if you think youā€™re a fighter, or if you think youā€™re an expert on some thing or otherā€¦ and someone suggests maybe youā€™re not as expert as you think or maybe you have a gaping blind spot. Nobody likes that, but it says a lot to me about their character how they respond to it.

We have some folks here who are, frankly, delusional. They have created an internal fiction. And mostly, thatā€™s harmless. The stakes are pretty low.

For my part, I will mute some folks from time to time, but generally not longer than a few weeks. I like to read all the posts, even the ones with which I disagree.
Sorry Steve, I canā€™t see your post šŸ˜‰

The two people who received my blocks did so because of responses to other peopleā€™s posts: they were justā€¦ā€™sillyā€™! I also dislike people who are rude or disparaging in their responses. You can disagree politely, after all.

Steve

Mostly Harmless
Reaction score
Sorry Steve, I canā€™t see your post šŸ˜‰

The two people who received my blocks did so because of responses to other peopleā€™s posts: they were justā€¦ā€™sillyā€™! I also dislike people who are rude or disparaging in their responses. You can disagree politely, after all.
Fair enough. To clarify, I think itā€™s useful, and use it myself. But Iā€™m generally distrustful of people who see the world in terms of absolutes, regardless of the context. So statements like ā€œfor lifeā€ and ā€œpermanentā€, ā€œdonā€™t everā€ are red flags for me.

Monkey Turned Wolf

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
What kind of posts irk you? The ones that wind me up are simply an avenue to blow the posters own trumpetā€¦show they have some knowledge even if itā€™s only slightly relevant.

You must have the patience of a saint to me a moderator šŸ˜‡
For me it's the one where I see someone argue or ask questions as if they don't know the other side...but I know that they definitely do since they've had the same argument 20 other times and have acknowledged the other side at some point.

And then also the ones that are just insanely rude. The good thing about being a mod though-I can report those and try to convince the other mods that person deserves some action for being an ***.

OP
Gyakuto

Gyakuto

Senior Master
Supporting Member
Reaction score
So statements like ā€œfor lifeā€ and ā€œpermanentā€, ā€œdonā€™t everā€ are red flags for me.
ā€œI pledge my allegiance to the flag, for life.ā€ ā€œEating food is a permanent habit.ā€ ā€œI donā€™t ever lieā€ā€¦OK, one of those is not truešŸ˜€šŸ˜‘

granfire

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
Are there certain posters on this board that you find objectionable enough, or simply irritating, that you have decided to blocked their posts? Is it just me? Is it me? If so, what is your motivation? (Since discretion is the better part of valour, please donā€™t mention the names of anyone you may have blocked).

I think years of objectionable Twitter-posts for political leaders, the ubiquity of David Brent/Michael Scott-types and the erroneous idea that everyoneā€™s opinion on anything is valid have worn me down and I just want to hear from these people. I have left Facebook for the same reason.
the poster I found objectionable has not been seen for a number of years here.
but yes, I think I had one on ignore.

As far as other social media goes:
in that big wall of legalese text you agree to adhere to a set of rules put forth by the platform. You can't abide by them, you get TOSsed.
I know, most of us never read the stuff, nor would we understand it if we did, but that does not rescue us from the consequences.
As long as the internet is not a public utility, the outlets are private platforms. There is no first amendment right there. Like you can't demonstrate in the mall. While the public has access, it is a private place (Vs Mainstreet, downtown)

The thought of absolute freedom of speech does not take into account modern media, the access it has and the shortfalls of it.
And we have long since crossed the Delaware on this by no longer demanding that 'news' was that, and not a biased heap of road apples.
We have been seeing a huge influx of disinformation attacks on western democracies. This hurts us.
So removing somebody's access to SM when they A) do not follow the rules (but expect others to) and B) hurt the community I think it's a good thing.
(Funny enough, the people who scream the most about certain public figures being removed from a SM site are the first ones to kick people who do not think like them from their platforms)

Last edited:
OP
Gyakuto

Gyakuto

Senior Master
Supporting Member
Reaction score
For me it's the one where I see someone argue or ask questions as if they don't know the other side...but I know that they definitely do since they've had the same argument 20 other times and have acknowledged the other side at some point.
That can be part of the Socratic Method, howeveršŸ˜‘. Iā€™m going to block myself for saying that so smugly

granfire

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
I bet they had the type of face one would never tire of slappingšŸ˜šŸ˜ƒ
well, it made me want to slap William Shattner...if that helps.
Interestingly enough the FB presence also seized years back, making one wonder if they were a disinformation troll to test out waters.....

Xue Sheng

All weight is underside
Reaction score

Well that direct attack upon me and my post constitutes you joining my PERMANENT ignore list ;)

@Steve
If you are contraindicated in every single post arguing against things you never said and it is obvious the attacker is not reading what you posted and refuses to read what you posted all they are doing is trolling and not worth reading. Or they have decided to make you a target and report virtually all post you make, no matter how unfounded it may be, there is no longer any reason to deal with them. Or they once argued vehemently against what you said only to later claim exactly what you said as their own..... I do not believe they are worth dealing with.... There are multiple reasons for someone to put a person on ignore for the duration beyond being "confronted with the hard truth".

Latest Discussions