Censorship

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Maybe it's you?
Just saying 🤣
Actually no it wasn't me. One was quite a while ago when we had a political section, he stated emphatically that the NHS killed premature babies deliberately. He also slagged off British forces called them cowards, there was far more than that too. Another was telling people she was being beaten up by her martial arts instructor naming him and the gym. I knew the instructor and also knew she was actually a he trying to spread lies in as many martial arts sites as possible. Happens quite often than someone will sign up with false details to have a go at others but they're usually directed to other forums.

Bill Mattocks

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Are there certain posters on this board that you find objectionable enough, or simply irritating, that you have decided to blocked their posts? Is it just me? Is it me? If so, what is your motivation? (Since discretion is the better part of valour, please don’t mention the names of anyone you may have blocked).

I think years of objectionable Twitter-posts for political leaders, the ubiquity of David Brent/Michael Scott-types and the erroneous idea that everyone’s opinion on anything is valid have worn me down and I just want to hear from these people. I have left Facebook for the same reason.
On FB and Twitter, I block with a heavy hand. I don't have time for people to make my life miserable. I do not owe anyone the right to hassle me.

On MT, I've got a couple people on ignore. I'm less liable to put someone on my ignore list indiscriminately, but I've literally had a couple folks get a bee in their bonnet and decide to literally follow me around online and post something belittling or snotty about each and every thing I say. I add those people to my ignore list. Sometimes I take a literal break from MT for a couple months, because life is too short and I've too little of it left to put up with cheap childish nonsense. Those folks can hassle me without me noticing it. They're happy, I'm happy.

Bill Mattocks

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Are there certain posters on this board that you find objectionable enough, or simply irritating, that you have decided to blocked their posts? Is it just me? Is it me? If so, what is your motivation? (Since discretion is the better part of valour, please don’t mention the names of anyone you may have blocked).

I think years of objectionable Twitter-posts for political leaders, the ubiquity of David Brent/Michael Scott-types and the erroneous idea that everyone’s opinion on anything is valid have worn me down and I just want to hear from these people. I have left Facebook for the same reason.
I also wanted to talk about the word 'censor' for a minute. It has a very negative connotation, and it implies that people have some sort of right to be heard, regardless of what they have to say and regardless of what method they use to say whatever it is they feel the need to say.

The cry of 'censorship' is often tied to the notion of 'free speech,' and used to beat people over the head when they choose not to subject themselves to whatever it is another person is determined to say. Freedom of speech, at least in the US, means that the government is forbidden from infringing on the right of citizens to say whatever they wish. It doesn't apply to private forums, even those that are open to the public. A shopping mall, for example, can ban people from waving banners or handing out literature or standing on a soapbox and shouting, even though it is a public venue. Many of those banned feel that they have or should have the legal right to do so, but this has not proven to be the case in courts.

I see it a lot on Twitter. Someone gets blocked and complains that they are being illegally censored, when in reality, some folks just don't want to see what they have to say. Should they be forced to see all points of view, regardless of how objectionable it might be? I'd argue no. Frankly, if I were not permitted to block people whom I find objectionable, I'd simply leave. Do I lack an open mind? Do I refuse to see my own shortcomings? Well, perhaps so. And that is entirely my right, as it is yours.

So when I put someone on ignore, I do not see it as censorship. I see it as exercising my right to my own peace of mind. Even if the person being ignored thinks I am running from whatever truth it is they think I really really need to have my nose rubbed in. But again, I have a second right which I also exercise from time to time. When it gets to be overwhelming, I take a break. Fortunately, I do not have a need to stay where I am not wanted.

Steve

Mostly Harmless
Reaction score
I agree with @Bill Mattocks that there is little censorship happening in this forum. People filtering what they view by using the ignore feature is nothing like the actual suppression of opinions and perspectives.

When the site bans or suspends a poster, or removes/edits posts, that’s closer to actual censorship. But as this is a private forum, so what? We may agree or disagree with how it’s run, but it’s their site to run however they wish. Same for FB and Twitter.

Steve

Mostly Harmless
Reaction score
Actually no it wasn't me. One was quite a while ago when we had a political section, he stated emphatically that the NHS killed premature babies deliberately. He also slagged off British forces called them cowards, there was far more than that too. Another was telling people she was being beaten up by her martial arts instructor naming him and the gym. I knew the instructor and also knew she was actually a he trying to spread lies in as many martial arts sites as possible. Happens quite often than someone will sign up with false details to have a go at others but they're usually directed to other forums.
Was that @billc? Must have been!

Latest Discussions