Carrying weapons

Solidman82

Purple Belt
Reaction score
Well, for weapons I either carry a folding knife but usually only if I have something I actually need to cut other then a human. My trusty keychain mostly for if I ever need to get into my house but if you have skill with nunchaku then they become quite a nice defense tool.

I wouldn't think of carryiing a gun because where I live currently, there would be no reason for me to use anything more then what I have now. A gun is just overkill (literally).

And as for the original reason I started viewing this thread. I don't mean to be an english stickler but it is DEFINITELY not spelled "Weapond". For some reason that really urked me.

Lisa

Don't get Chewed!
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I don't carry a weapon per say except maybe my keychain which could probably knock out a charging rhino :D or so I have been told. ;)

When uncomfortable when walking alone, like in a parking garage, etc. I have in the past put my keys between my fingers just in case.

sgtmac_46

Senior Master
Reaction score
pete said:
so who of you "carrying" have actually "used"...

to speak directly to those who describe their weapon as the next great piece of technology, how does it feel when the bullet or blade cuts through the flesh, organs, and blood vessels and extinguishes a life.

not playing the morality game, but would just like to know if its all techo-nerd talk, or you guys are using those things you spend your hard earned cash for the reasons they were made... to kill.

pete.
I've never shot anyone, but i've come pretty close. I've had the front sight centered on another human being on a couple of occassions. Fortunately, I wasn't forced to pull the trigger...but I would have.

I've also seen enough death to know what it looks like up close and personal. I once was the first arriving officer on a homicide where a guy got shot at close range in the neck/head with a 12 gauge shotgun. I've seen human remains in all states and forms of disaray. I've seen people killed and injured by violence and accidents.

I know what death looks like, it's a terrible sight, and nothing anyone should ever draw joy from. But I also know this...when the crap hits the fan, it's far better to give than receive. I'd rather see someone lying there shot, than BE someone lying there shot. It hurts a lot less to see it, than to be it.

I'll tell a little story at this point. A couple of years ago, I was leaving my house, where I had gone on my lunch break, in the middle of the night. I was walking to the patrol car, when I caught movement out of the corner of my eye. I turned, and there was a man, running toward me through my yard, wild-eyed, with a baseball bat in his hand. He was on a dead sprint, and looked as if he intended to run through me.

I remember thinking "Who is this guy, I don't know this guy". As I was thinking that, however, I realized my Glock was in my hand. I was watching this guy advance, 20 feet, 10 feet, I remember thinking "This guy is going to make me shoot him". There happend to be a large oak tree in the middle of my yard, just a foot to my left.

This tree probably saved this guys life, because I took a step to the left, to get cover and buy this guy a couple more seconds. I yelled at him to stop. I guess at that point he either realized A) HEY, this guy is a cop or B) This guy is a cop pointing a GUN at me.

About 4 feet in front of me, he suddenly stopped, dropped his bat and went face down on the ground.

I never have figured out what this guy was doing, he was so jacked up on methamphetamines, and had been up for so long, he was hallucinating. He told some wild-eyed story about people being out to get him.

I have two theories, this guy was hallucinating so badly he thought I was part of the 'conspiracy'. Or, he was planning on car jacking me, and didn't see the police car on the other side of the house, and didn't see the fact I was a police officer until it was too late.

The whole incident had every sign of an ambush. I think he was just walking through the neighborhood, and say 'someone' come out of the front door, and thought I was going to get in to the truck parked in front of my house.

He ran up on me as fast as he could, was going to cold-cock me with his bat, and realized "Uh-oh GUN!!!!"

I am sure, however, if it had been anyone else on the block who walked out of their front door, this man would have likely beaten them very severly with the baseball bat he was carrying. I also know, if that tree hadn't been there, this guy might have gotten his ticket punched permanently. He was less than 1ft from the imaginary line I had drawn on the ground as his last step.

That's how quickly those things happen sometimes. I remember thinking, throughout the whole event "This is so surreal", none of it made any sense until after the fact.

Danny T

Senior Master
Reaction score
Henderson said:
... The asp stays in the car, just in case. As far as the money issue goes...I get my blades wholesale, and the asp was a whopping $16. :supcool:

If I may ask was your asp simply a great deal or is it one of the inexpensive look alikes. The reason I ask is to bring fore there is a major difference in the quaility and strength of a good colapsible baton.

One of my students had taken to carrying a inexpensive knock-off asp. Asked if I could have a look and take a couple of swings with it. Whipped it open with a backhand diagonal up move and returned with a diagonal down forehand strike in the air. The asp had a nice curve which matched the left side of my body perfectly. It had bent around my body from the force. I wouldn't trust one like it for a "just in case." I recommend purchasing a good asp, just in case.

Danny

James Kovacich

Senior Master
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
It seems theres a lot of weapon carrying out there. How are your states with these items?

California is very strict. It is illegal to possess the nunchaku and telescopic batons. So those are out for carrying just in case.

This is what I own.
http://www.crkt.com/litem1.html

I recently took it to Europe along with some Serrada lenth Kamagongs. I also own a "canemaster" cane which I purchased to try out. The weight is off but after cutting it to fit my body it may be better. But I feel a cane with a curved handled is more suited for Largo Mano movements more than the Serrada movenments which I prefer. But hey, a cane is legal, even on a plane.

When I need one later, I'm sure I will have a nice hardwood cane ready to go.

mantis

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
do u know what's legal to carry in calif? at least things that do not require licenses!

Flying Crane

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
Only when I am on my way to class, or to train in the park. Then I have been known to carry staffs, spears, swords, and broadswords. Not the wushu crap, but heavy, real weaponry.

Of course if I was attacked, I'd have to throw it all on the ground, unzip the carry bags, and decide which was the appropriate weapon for the defense...

Sapper6

3rd Black Belt
Reaction score
sgtmac_46 said:
I've never shot anyone, but i've come pretty close. I've had the front sight centered on another human being on a couple of occassions. Fortunately, I wasn't forced to pull the trigger...but I would have.

I've also seen enough death to know what it looks like up close and personal. I once was the first arriving officer on a homicide where a guy got shot at close range in the neck/head with a 12 gauge shotgun. I've seen human remains in all states and forms of disaray. I've seen people killed and injured by violence and accidents.

I know what death looks like, it's a terrible sight, and nothing anyone should ever draw joy from. But I also know this...when the crap hits the fan, it's far better to give than receive. I'd rather see someone lying there shot, than BE someone lying there shot. It hurts a lot less to see it, than to be it.

I'll tell a little story at this point. A couple of years ago, I was leaving my house, where I had gone on my lunch break, in the middle of the night. I was walking to the patrol car, when I caught movement out of the corner of my eye. I turned, and there was a man, running toward me through my yard, wild-eyed, with a baseball bat in his hand. He was on a dead sprint, and looked as if he intended to run through me.

I remember thinking "Who is this guy, I don't know this guy". As I was thinking that, however, I realized my Glock was in my hand. I was watching this guy advance, 20 feet, 10 feet, I remember thinking "This guy is going to make me shoot him". There happend to be a large oak tree in the middle of my yard, just a foot to my left.

This tree probably saved this guys life, because I took a step to the left, to get cover and buy this guy a couple more seconds. I yelled at him to stop. I guess at that point he either realized A) HEY, this guy is a cop or B) This guy is a cop pointing a GUN at me.

About 4 feet in front of me, he suddenly stopped, dropped his bat and went face down on the ground.

I never have figured out what this guy was doing, he was so jacked up on methamphetamines, and had been up for so long, he was hallucinating. He told some wild-eyed story about people being out to get him.

I have two theories, this guy was hallucinating so badly he thought I was part of the 'conspiracy'. Or, he was planning on car jacking me, and didn't see the police car on the other side of the house, and didn't see the fact I was a police officer until it was too late.

The whole incident had every sign of an ambush. I think he was just walking through the neighborhood, and say 'someone' come out of the front door, and thought I was going to get in to the truck parked in front of my house.

He ran up on me as fast as he could, was going to cold-cock me with his bat, and realized "Uh-oh GUN!!!!"

I am sure, however, if it had been anyone else on the block who walked out of their front door, this man would have likely beaten them very severly with the baseball bat he was carrying. I also know, if that tree hadn't been there, this guy might have gotten his ticket punched permanently. He was less than 1ft from the imaginary line I had drawn on the ground as his last step.

That's how quickly those things happen sometimes. I remember thinking, throughout the whole event "This is so surreal", none of it made any sense until after the fact.

great story. and by far, the most realistic sounding tale i've read on MT.

that's exactly how it "goes down". and i'll agree, dead human bodies is not a sight to behold.

thanks for sharing.

Floating Egg

Blue Belt
Reaction score
I don't carry a weapon, though I have considered it at various times. Occasionally, I'll bring along a mini maglite, which has been wrapped with cord, but that's only if I'm going for a walk late at night.

hemi

Purple Belt
Reaction score
I don’t often carry a weapon at this point in my life. I had a concealed hang gun permit for years and would carry a Glock 17 most of the time in my truck but sometimes on my person. I am very confident in my ability to hit what I intend to hit. Now as I get older I am kind of in a rock and a hard place kind of situation. I know full well that there is a chance, how ever small still a chance, that I could find my self in a situation that I would really need a gun for self defense. But in that same situation I know that I would hesitate to use deadly force in defense of myself and would not even consider that level of force in protection of property.

Don’t get me wrong if it came down to a situation where I knew if I didn’t take out a threat, I would then myself be killed then I would not hesitate for even a split second. But I have been in more than one situation where I was in danger, but had I have brandished my weapon and ended the situation I would be in a position to be put on trial for Aggravated assault. Lucky for me I was able to talk my way out and get the heck out of there. But that is a big reason I started taking Kenpo. Yes there are situations that Kenpo would not help much, but I don’t intend to walk around looking for trouble. I know that myself I would be much more inclined to end a situation by use of a few well placed punches and kicks then to fire on someone. If I had to hit someone they may have to go get stitches (if I got a real good hit in). But if I had to use the Glock with hollow points they are going to the morgue.

I guess my point is that I think the hesitation I would have in the use of a gun in my case is almost a liability more so than anything else. It’s sad that in America I have to worry so much about the consequences I face for defending myself but that is a topic that is being discussed in another thread.

I do carry a tire buster in my car between the seat and the door. And for home defense I prefer the Mossberg 590A1 12 Ga. with #7 shot. I would also love to talk to some of the Leo’s around here as I am considering going into law enforcement.

Oh and yes I know and love the quotes from some very wise people.

“Those of hesitate meditate in the horizontal position” SGM. ED. Parker

“I would rather be judged by 12 then carried by 6”

tellner

Senior Master
Reaction score
pete said:
so who of you "carrying" have actually "used"...
*raises hand*

Stick, yes. Crutches and cane, yes. Knife and gun have worked well as deterrents so far kein an hora.

to speak directly to those who describe their weapon as the next great piece of technology, how does it feel when the bullet or blade cuts through the flesh, organs, and blood vessels and extinguishes a life.

"Boy" rhymes with "toy". We're all interested in this sort of thing, and we know on some level that the choices we make could be the difference between life and death. So our inherent geekiness and tech-fetish tendencies come out. This isn't exactly news to anyone in the field.

The question you appear to be asking is "Have you made The Decision?" I don't know about anyone else, but for me the answer is "yes". I devoutly hope never to harm another person much less injure or kill him. But, G-d forbid, should it ever be a choice between him and me or a loved one I have already made my peace with that decision and its consequences, personal and legal. This is one of those things where you need to go through the process of confronting the unpleasant realities. Once you do, the carnographic glee you seem to take in visualizing the blood and stink is counterproductive. It doesn't prepare you any better for the possibility. And it can make you hesitate when you shouldn't.

The mistake you are making is typical of people who are not comfortable with deadly force. Scratch that. It's not a mistake as much as it's a difference in perspective. If you are on one side of that divide there are questions of how and what, tradeoffs serving an existing set of goals. If you are on the other it is still why and if. For me and probably for a few others here that switch has flipped to one position. For you and others it is in the other.

not playing the morality game, but would just like to know if its all techo-nerd talk, or you guys are using those things you spend your hard earned cash for the reasons they were made... to kill.

pete.

Without meaning to you are. Many people, as intelligent and sensitive as yourself, have come to certain conclusions about the risks inherent in living in this world and have prepared ourselves accordingly. The possibility of deadly force is part of our consciousness, but after a while we don't obsess about it. It's just like defensive driving. You have to be aware of the terrible consequences of mistakes and a loss of attention. If you spend too much time worrying about it you won't be able to drive. You'll be paralyzed.

I would also hazard that you aren't very comfortable with weapons of any sort except as cultural artifacts or training equipment in the safe confines of the dojo. They certainly can be used to kill. But the great paradox is that if they can be and if you are prepared to use them that way they almost never will be. A pistol isn't really that good at killing. Certainly not compared to a shotgun or a sword. But it is an excellent deterrent if it is presented strongly and with intent. Bad people, even very formidable ones, understand that it is a real threat, that they can get very seriously hurt or killed. So they tend to back off. If you draw with the complete conviction that you will use deadly force if the threat doesn't end you will almost never have to use it. If you draw with the hope of scaring or that the bad guy will magically go away he will see that you are not a danger and can be treated as prey.

I've had people try to break into my house while it was obviously occupied. "Get the bleep off my porch!" didn't stop them. The quiet sound of a 1911 being racked got their attention. 80 pounds of German Shepherd hitting the door at about 30 miles an hour and trying to bite off fingers spoke to them eloquently in language they understood. They didn't get what they wanted, but they got to keep the blood on the inside. Besides, they weren't invited. I got to keep everything that was mine and didn't have to get in a fistfight. Sounds like a win all around.

CuongNhuka

Senior Master
Reaction score
What weapons do I carry on my person? Lets see.
  • Tennis shoes: if I need to kick, some hard leather will make it a little more effective. And Coung Nhu contains the ancient art of Nike-Jitsu
  • Comfortable (meaning loose) pants. If I need to kick, less in my way. And once again Coung Nhu has Nike-Jitsu
  • Eight limbs: two hands, two feet, two knees, two elbows. If I decide that I need to hit you, there you go.
  • Two pens and two pencils: they are the application of the Yawara. Any hammering strike (or pommel with weapons) is more or less a Yawara strike.
  • My eyes: can’t fight me if I keep out of your sight
  • My ears: can’t fight me if you can’t hear me (I should probably add that this goes with the above)
  • My voice: can’t fight me if I talk you out of it, or start screaming bloody murder.
So there you go. I didn’t read the rest of the posts, so if some one else put this, sorry for restating it.

Sweet Brighit Bless your Blade,

John

Knarfan

Green Belt
Reaction score
Usually carry two or three blades. Somtimes small improvised weapon, somthing heavy that fits in my palm. I also do constrution work so I have plenty of tools that work well as weapons. Don't carry a firearm never have. Nowadays everything is considered a deadly weapon so I would hate to ever have to use one. I work in the worst & have trained in some pretty bad neiborhoods & never really had a problem but, it's nice to be prepared just in case. I think that the people that need the weapons the most are the precieved easy targets woman, the elderly.

sgtmac_46

Senior Master
Reaction score
sayoc FF said:
Usually carry two or three blades. Somtimes small improvised weapon, somthing heavy that fits in my palm. I also do constrution work so I have plenty of tools that work well as weapons. Don't carry a firearm never have. Nowadays everything is considered a deadly weapon so I would hate to ever have to use one. I work in the worst & have trained in some pretty bad neiborhoods & never really had a problem but, it's nice to be prepared just in case. I think that the people that need the weapons the most are the precieved easy targets woman, the elderly.
Exactly. A gun is a tool, just like a lever. A very strong man might not need a lever to move a 200 pound object. A very weak person would. Tools are used to overcome disparities between us physically.

Most violent criminals are physically strong and fit males between the ages of 17 and 45. The violent ones, by their very nature, are generally large, strong and aggressive. Most, due to life choices, have a history of manual labor, when they do work, often construction. Top that off with a history of drug use....increasingly hyper-stimulant abuse. These type of men don't need a gun to victimize people, but the average person would be hard-pressed to defend themselves against this sort of thug.

An 80 year old woman, unarmed, would have no hope. An 80 year old woman armed with a 12 gauge shotgun, and a will to use it if necessary, is a WHOLE 'nother story.

Henderson

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
sgtmac_46 said:
An 80 year old woman, unarmed, would have no hope. An 80 year old woman armed with a 12 gauge shotgun, and a will to use it if necessary, is a WHOLE 'nother story.

Look out! Granny's got a Mossberg and ain't afraid to use it!:supcool:

Knarfan

Green Belt
Reaction score
Henderson said:

Anybody that messes with GRANNY deserves what they get :mp5: .

sgtmac_46

Senior Master
Reaction score
Henderson said:
Sadly, sometimes it's either that, or a beating for her pension check/SSI check.

I'll tell you this, I personally wouldn't shed a tear if I found one of my local scrotus maximuses laying in a pool of their own fluids, doing their best immitation of room temperature, on Grannies floor after a bungled burglary. That's what we calling thinning out the herd. Not a jury in the country would convict grandma.

Latest Discussions