Carrying weapons

green meanie

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
sgtmac_46 said:
Exactly. A gun is a tool, just like a lever. A very strong man might not need a lever to move a 200 pound object. A very weak person would. Tools are used to overcome disparities between us physically.

Most violent criminals are physically strong and fit males between the ages of 17 and 45. The violent ones, by their very nature, are generally large, strong and aggressive. Most, due to life choices, have a history of manual labor, when they do work, often construction. Top that off with a history of drug use....increasingly hyper-stimulant abuse. These type of men don't need a gun to victimize people, but the average person would be hard-pressed to defend themselves against this sort of thug.

An 80 year old woman, unarmed, would have no hope. An 80 year old woman armed with a 12 gauge shotgun, and a will to use it if necessary, is a WHOLE 'nother story.

Good post. Well said. :)

NARC

Orange Belt
Reaction score
"Off Duty" I regularly carry my issued H&K 40 Compact and at least one edged weapon (CRKT or a Ka-Bar pocket folder).
If I am wearing my 5.11 Vest I carry within it my ASP. Improvised weapon wise there's just about anything to use pens, belt, hat, weighted bandana etc... I have had to "draw" my weapon less than I had originally thought I would be in my 10 years of LE.

Attachments

• $H&K.jpg
    2.2 KB · Views: 241

Jonathan Randall

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
sgtmac_46 said:
Sadly, sometimes it's either that, or a beating for her pension check/SSI check.

I'll tell you this, I personally wouldn't shed a tear if I found one of my local scrotus maximuses laying in a pool of their own fluids, doing their best immitation of room temperature, on Grannies floor after a bungled burglary. That's what we calling thinning out the herd. Not a jury in the country would convict grandma.

I wouldn't shed a tear myself, either. Unfortunately I think you are mistaken about any jury in the country not convicting her. Some people, I'm afraid, have more sympathy for the perpetrator than the victim.

sgtmac_46

Senior Master
Reaction score
NARC said:
"Off Duty" I regularly carry my issued H&K 40 Compact and at least one edged weapon (CRKT or a Ka-Bar pocket folder).
If I am wearing my 5.11 Vest I carry within it my ASP. Improvised weapon wise there's just about anything to use pens, belt, hat, weighted bandana etc... I have had to "draw" my weapon less than I had originally thought I would be in my 10 years of LE.
Nice USP Compact. I've got a USP .40 full-size myself....very nice guns. Since I cut my teeth on the Glock, I never shoot it, but I also can't bear to part with it, so well made it is. You'll never go wrong carrying an HK.

Incidently, my wife bought me a Benchmade 5000 Presidio auto-opener for christmas....I now have my new favorite pocket knife.

sgtmac_46

Senior Master
Reaction score
Jonathan Randall said:
I wouldn't shed a tear myself, either. Unfortunately I think you are mistaken about any jury in the country not convicting her. Some people, I'm afraid, have more sympathy for the perpetrator than the victim.
Sadly, you're probably right. I keep forgetting that every part of the US isn't like Missouri. In Missouri, if a burglar ends up assuming room temperature in a puddle of his own fluids in the middle of someone's living room floor, we just chalk it up to the high-price of crime.
icon12.gif

CuongNhuka

Senior Master
Reaction score
sgtmac_46 said:
Sadly, you're probably right. I keep forgetting that every part of the US isn't like Missouri. In Missouri, if a burglar ends up assuming room temperature in a puddle of his own fluids in the middle of someone's living room floor, we just chalk it up to the high-price of crime.
icon12.gif

Now I want to move to Missouri... I wounder if there is a Coung Nhu school there mmm... I'll have to look...

Sweet Brighit Bless your Blade,

John

aplonis

Orange Belt
Reaction score
I find the cane very convenient. I'd prefer it to the knife any day of the week.

Once, many years ago, carrying (and being able to open one-handed) a Schrade Old Grandad folding hunter saved me a mugging by three attackers in a dark parking lot one payday evening outside the Navy base at Solomon's Island MD. Just being ready sufficed to that particular occasion and no blood was drawn nor funds inappropriately depleted.

More recently my cane was proved very effective in discouraging a quite vicious dog. Armed with the cane, I should not fear to defend myself against a knife. Armed with a knife I'd never even consider to face off against the cane.

I can carry my cane with me in public anywhere. Not only that, but have it always in my hand. I used to be fast on the draw with a folding hunter. But not half so fast as having it already in my hand. The reach is longer with the cane. I shouldn't fear to give a warning poke or tap with it by way of discouragement. With a knife, you don't enjoy any such soft options.

In defence against the dog I was able to fend off the dog and not do it any serious harm. A knife or gun would have resulted in complications once the police arrived. He gave my cane not a second glance.

ginshun

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
I usually have 2 or 3 knives on me, but I think of them more as tools than weapons. Albeit tools that could be effective weapons if need be.

Benchmade 710 all the time, and usually another benchmade or spyderco in the opposite pocket. Maybe a Dalton auto or one of the BM balisongs if I am feeling like taking a risk as far as legality goes. Tiny pen knife on a chain around my neck most of the time, although it would be pretty tough to use that one as much of a weapon.

Really I carry them mostly just because I am a knife nut. The fact that they are also self defence weapons is just an nice perk.

tradrockrat

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
sgtmac_46 said:
Good choice.

I carry a Glock 22 .40 with a 15 + 1 of Federal Hydra-shoks, or if i'm really concerned about concealibility i'll carry the Glock 27 .40 with the same loads. 155 Grain summer, 185 Grain winter (clothing differences). 1 extra-magazine And I carry a good folder, my Emerson, CKT, or Benchmade.

That's if i'm off-duty and going to the a store on a milk run.

If I were expecting trouble (which I usually am at work) I would never want to bring just a pistol to a gun fight. I always have handy in the patrol car a Benelli M2 Tactical 12 gauge, Colt M4 carbine in .223 and a scoped Springfield Arms Socom 16 in .308, depending on the range I was expecting. Not concealable, but real fight stoppers.

By the way, my Benelli sits close to my bed. If i'm comfronted in my living room, I won't have a pistol in my hand. It'll be 7 rounds of 000 Buck, each load carrying 8 .36 projectiles. If that doesn't do the job, i'm in serious trouble. Most people grab pants if they hear an intruder. I'd rather show up naked with a Benelli in hand. Either the shotgun or me naked will subdue any intruder. Besides, the alternative is the last sight they see being me naked.

I like this post a lot. However, as I'm not a LEO, I find that a pocket knife is my only easily carried protection. Other weapons such as Asps and whatnot are all grey areas in California - too much trouble. At home is an entirely different matter. My wife IS a LEO so she and I sleep with a few guns around. My naked moment would involve the 8 shot Mossburg 500.

tshadowchaser

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Founding Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I have been known to cary a knife at times and my cane is usualy in my hand when im out of town

Carol

Crazy like a...
MT Mentor
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
The smaller weapons...the birthstone ring on my left hand with two 1.5 karat triangle-cut stones. My left hook may not be much yet, but it packs a nasty sting.

Another is the steel bangle on my right wrist. I pity the fool that tries to grab me by the wrist on my dominant side.. He would not be able to get any kind of a grip. If he tried, a quick motion with my arm would trap his fingers in a painfully unnatural position.

I dislike bulky computer bags or briefcases, so I carry my laptop in a sleeve that I bought when in Japan. I removed the stupid plastic sholder strap clips and replaced them with three inch steel key rings to ensure the strap could not be forcefully seperated from the bag. This gives me an extra 2 or 2.5 feet of reach. I can connect it with an assailant before he is close enough to make contact with me. Or, I could smash it to the floor if I realllllly had to create a distraction or draw attention to myself.

And perhaps the one that I am never without are my keys, which are on a d-ring carabiner. I never carry my keys in my purse. They are always in my hands or in easy reach. I have very small hands, the carabiner makes a perfect set of brass knuckles. My four fingers of either hand fit perfectly inside, leaving all of my keys protruding outwards in such a way that...even if I hit something/someone, I would feel very minimual contact from the edges of the keys.

They may not sound like much for weapons, but, I've practiced using them. They are a bit more difficult to be used against me. And, I get to take them everywhere...to school, to work, through airport security, even in to another country.

eyebeams

Purple Belt
Reaction score
Henderson said:
Look out! Granny's got a Mossberg and ain't afraid to use it!:supcool:

And neither is the thief who gets to it first.

sgtmac_46

Senior Master
Reaction score
eyebeams said:
And neither is the thief who gets to it first.
A thief can have mine.....ammunition first.

18 year old burglaries don't need a shotgun to beat granny to death. What's granny got to bring to the table to equal that out? She's certainly not going to use her spinning dragon kick of death. Moreover, 18 year old's fear getting shot.

eyebeams

Purple Belt
Reaction score
sgtmac_46 said:
A thief can have mine.....ammunition first.

18 year old burglaries don't need a shotgun to beat granny to death. What's granny got to bring to the table to equal that out? She's certainly not going to use her spinning dragon kick of death. Moreover, 18 year old's fear getting shot.

18 year olds get to granny's shotgun before granny does, too.

sgtmac_46

Senior Master
Reaction score
eyebeams said:
18 year olds get to granny's shotgun before granny does, too.
18 year old doesn't need a shotgun to kill granny. Also, name one person in the US, one person, who has EVER been shot with their own gun, by a stranger in the middle of the night. Compare that number, with the number of intruders who have been shot or disuaded with a firearm.

Susan Gaylord Buxton, 66, retrieved her .38 caliber handgun and searched her house. She found a man hiding in a closet, covered by a coat.

The man, 22-year-old Christopher Lessner, lunged for the gun, and, police said, Buxton shot him once in the leg. She fired a second shot, which missed, according to police.

http://www.nbc5i.com/news/5289996/detail.html

The only problem here was shot placement. I mean, the LEG?! Try two to the chest and one to the head. Better yet, a shotgun would have been a better choice. Decisive end to the confrontation.

Again, 18 year old men don't need a gun to kill an 80 year old woman, the whole idea is ludicrous. Short of a gun, however, how is an 80 year old woman going to defend herself against 18 year old men? Without a shotgun, grandma's a victim, WITH a shotgun grandma's a threat.

Latest Discussions