Carrying weapons

Laborn

Blue Belt
Reaction score
Ok, i carry a little knife with me sometimes for protection if someone jumps me with a knife. How many other martial artist carry weaponds with them? My old instructer would carry a little stick on the end of his key chain. i just figure it's safer to carry weaponds incase you have to fight someone with a weapon.

And it seems to me that most attackers out there will be armed, i've never seen or been in a fight where weaponds weren't involved, sticks, knives, bats. So does anyone have any ideas of a little concealed weapond beside a knife?

OULobo

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Laborn said:
Ok, i carry a little knife with me sometimes for protection if someone jumps me with a knife. How many other martial artist carry weaponds with them? My old instructer would carry a little stick on the end of his key chain. i just figure it's safer to carry weaponds incase you have to fight someone with a weapon.

And it seems to me that most attackers out there will be armed, i've never seen or been in a fight where weaponds weren't involved, sticks, knives, bats. So does anyone have any ideas of a little concealed weapond beside a knife?

A .357 snub nosed revolver. I carry often if I am in situations that warrent, like carrying larger sums of cash, ect. I usually carry mutiple knives and a fist load/palm stick. The best weapons to carry are "improvised" ones, because you already have them for other reasons. I personally like my keys and belt. If you train just a little on how to use them when you need them, they allow for more security in unexpected confrontations.

tshadowchaser

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Founding Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I walk with one of my canes much of the time and i have been known to carry a knife or 3

terryl965

<center><font size="2"><B>Martial Talk Ultimate<BR
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I have a Hide a chunk in my vehicle at all times and my Butteryfly knife handy but Lucky for me I have neer had to use them.
Terry

Grenadier

Sr. Grandmaster
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Glock 26, stuffed with 12 rounds of Winchester Ranger 127 grain +P+ JHP (regular magazine, +1 Pearce extender, one in the chamber).

Otherwise, I always have a knife on me. Most of the time, it's a Spyderco Police, but in some states where they don't allow blades of greater than 3" long, I'll switch to my Spyderco Delica II (serrated edge). If someone's going to come within hand to hand combat distance, I want the fight to be over quickly, and not give the other guy a chance to win.

still learning

Senior Master
Reaction score
Hello, A good pair of running feet. Old and slow but it still works! Kept in pants and always ready? Verbal works too? Try not to carry too many of them.

So far the law allows us to carry both of them.......................Aloha

bignick

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I'll carry a pocket knife sometimes...not always for defense...but it is useful to have around. Otherwise I'll carry around a mini-mag flashlight or an expandable baton.

sgtmac_46

Senior Master
Reaction score
Grenadier said:
Glock 26, stuffed with 12 rounds of Winchester Ranger 127 grain +P+ JHP (regular magazine, +1 Pearce extender, one in the chamber).

Otherwise, I always have a knife on me. Most of the time, it's a Spyderco Police, but in some states where they don't allow blades of greater than 3" long, I'll switch to my Spyderco Delica II (serrated edge). If someone's going to come within hand to hand combat distance, I want the fight to be over quickly, and not give the other guy a chance to win.
Good choice.

I carry a Glock 22 .40 with a 15 + 1 of Federal Hydra-shoks, or if i'm really concerned about concealibility i'll carry the Glock 27 .40 with the same loads. 155 Grain summer, 185 Grain winter (clothing differences). 1 extra-magazine And I carry a good folder, my Emerson, CKT, or Benchmade.

That's if i'm off-duty and going to the a store on a milk run.

If I were expecting trouble (which I usually am at work) I would never want to bring just a pistol to a gun fight. I always have handy in the patrol car a Benelli M2 Tactical 12 gauge, Colt M4 carbine in .223 and a scoped Springfield Arms Socom 16 in .308, depending on the range I was expecting. Not concealable, but real fight stoppers.

By the way, my Benelli sits close to my bed. If i'm comfronted in my living room, I won't have a pistol in my hand. It'll be 7 rounds of 000 Buck, each load carrying 8 .36 projectiles. If that doesn't do the job, i'm in serious trouble. Most people grab pants if they hear an intruder. I'd rather show up naked with a Benelli in hand. Either the shotgun or me naked will subdue any intruder. Besides, the alternative is the last sight they see being me naked.

MJS

Administrator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
Laborn said:

I don't carry a weapon such as a knife or gun, but if we looked at the imprivised weapons that are always around us, we in fact all carry some sort of weapon. While they may not inflict as much lethal force as a knife or gun, a set of keys, a pen or pencil are items that are readily available for use.

Mike

Henderson

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
More for practical reasons rather than defense, I always carry my Benchmade folder. My asp (expandable baton) is readily available in the door pocket of my car. Used to carry a Ruger P90 .45....it was a litle bulky, but I eventually sold it to buy my iaito.

pete

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
so who of you "carrying" have actually "used"...

to speak directly to those who describe their weapon as the next great piece of technology, how does it feel when the bullet or blade cuts through the flesh, organs, and blood vessels and extinguishes a life.

not playing the morality game, but would just like to know if its all techo-nerd talk, or you guys are using those things you spend your hard earned cash for the reasons they were made... to kill.

pete.

Henderson

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
As I said in my original response, I carry my knife more for practical reasons...ie, cutting up boxes at work, etc. The asp stays in the car, just in case. As far as the money issue goes...I get my blades wholesale, and the asp was a whopping $16. :supcool:

Henderson

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
pete said:
or you guys are using those things you spend your hard earned cash for the reasons they were made... to kill.

Sorry, Pete! To answer your question....no, of course not.

Respects,
Frank

splazzatch

Orange Belt
Reaction score
I carry a pocket knife when I am not at work althought I would never use it for defense, I wouldn't want to ruin it. I used to carry one of those sticks on my key chain but I found that to be to much of a hassle with the keys on the end so I ditched it and instead just make sure I have a pen in my pocket I splurge and I buy some of the more expensive pens that won't break right away..

Nanalo74

Blue Belt
Reaction score
I live in New York, which is very hard on citizens with weapons. Not to mention I can imagine the horror show of a trial if I actually carved somebody up.

Exhibit A - the website
Exhibit B - the business cards
Exhibit C - the magazine ads
Exhibit D - the DVDs

Yeesh!

I carry a piece of metal that used to go to my car jack. It's about 6" long, fits in my pocket, and makes for a nice blunt object.
A bundle of sharpened pencils held together by rubber bands works nicely also.

Vic www.combatartsusa.com

Phoenix44

Master of Arts
Reaction score
Ya know, in my work, I pass through metal detectors and have my bags x-rayed so many times, it's not even worth it.

Fortunately, everybody else goes through the same metal detectors and x-rays.

So I'd say a few years of empty-handed training puts me at an advantage.

Latest Discussions