Car accident, it's totaled

jks9199

Administrator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
State law varies. In Virginia, I can make a DUI arrest for 4 reasons: 1. Probable cause that you are impaired by either alcohol or drugs, based on behavior/physical tests; 2. Blood alcohol greater than .08% by volume (or .08 g/210 L breath); 3. certain per se drug levels in your blood (yes, typically it's an arrest for evidence of intoxication by drugs, with the levels being an issue at court); 4. any combination of the previous.

I can't address what happened in Omar's case, since I wasn't there. I presume that the nature of the accident coupled with a BAC below the legal limit didn't suggest impaired driving.

OP
Omar B

Omar B

Senior Master
Reaction score
I have to go get it off the lot tomorrow. It's going back to the dealership.

Gladly the guy has the same insurance company as I do (the one with the lizard) so I won't have to fight some other company for my money.

Gordon Nore

Senior Master
Reaction score
Don't post 'em. At least not until you're sure that the insurance companies have finished their thing and you're not going to end up in court. The camera's a one-eyed idiot, and if you take 'em at the wrong angle or position, you can create a false impression.

Agreed. Omar, when it is safe to post them, send them to me -- I have a supporting member's acct, so I can upload them here and you can link to them. Hopefully, no one will mind.

Like everyone else said, you and your family are ok. The car can be replaced. It's a PITA, but it's better than having anyone seriously hurt.

OP
Omar B

Omar B

Senior Master
Reaction score
I'll get some daytime pictures of it tomorrow, i have to go get some stuff out of the trunk.

Thanksgiving and my birthday this week and my car's destroyed!

jks9199

Administrator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
You're alive. You're celebrating a birthday. You've got lots to be thankful for.

Forgive me if I'm not sympathetic about your car; I do understand it was important to you, but I've got friends investigating a crash that left 4 kids orphans, and a kid who crashed into a tree and got himself killed last week in my jurisdiction. Meanwhile, I'm putting a crap load of hours investigating several cases where people's cars got stolen or stuff stolen out of them because they didn't bother to lock the car or left the keys in it.

Drac

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
You're alive. You're celebrating a birthday. You've got lots to be thankful for.

What he said...

Forgive me if I'm not sympathetic about your car; I do understand it was important to you, but I've got friends investigating a crash that left 4 kids orphans, and a kid who crashed into a tree and got himself killed last week in my jurisdiction. Meanwhile, I'm putting a crap load of hours investigating several cases where people's cars got stolen or stuff stolen out of them because they didn't bother to lock the car or left the keys in it.

One of the few things I dont miss...

OP
Omar B

Omar B

Senior Master
Reaction score
Got my rental today, it's a Dodge Avenger from Enterprise. I have to say, what a garbage car. Not only does it drive like crap, but the build quality is even below Korean standard. It's all plastic and cloth on the inside, it rattles and shakes as you drive, and the engine sounds like it's having a hard time even at 30 mph!

Not only that, but I cant' practice karate because my knee, chest and upper back as still pretty tweaked. I don't feel like myself, I've not done my morning or nighttime calisthenics in days.

David43515

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
I`m glad to hear nobody was seriously hurt. Take a few days off your regular routine, maybe avoid even stretching because most of your aches and pains are probably from being pulled and stretched as the car was tossed around. Just take some anti-inflamitories and relax for the week.

Oh yeah, Happy Birthday. Mine was the 24th, when`s yours?

OP
Omar B

Omar B

Senior Master
Reaction score
Oh, my b-day is the 29th, this Sunday. Same b-day as my dad.

I go back to my GP tomorrow to have the results of my medical exam from Monday.

And happy birthday to you too! Same as my aunt.