Experience with Progressive auto insurance?

Carol

Crazy like a...
MT Mentor
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Because of the heavy regulations that go along with Massachusetts auto insurance, most of the discount auto insurance carriers do not do business there.

Since I don't live under those restrictions anymore, I decided to try one of the off-price carriers. Having been swayed by Progressive's TV ads explaining how your pet is also covered under comprehensive, I just signed a 6 month policy with them.

Their rates are almost half what I was paying in Mass. :eek:

Now granted, Mass. auto insurance sucks, its the only state where drivers cannot purchase a policy on the free market, blah blah blah.

Is there a catch that I'm missing with this carrier? Is their claim service horrible or are they OK to deal with?

Bob Hubbard

Retired
MT Mentor
Founding Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
We use E-Surance. So far so good.

Avoid State Farm, and Allstate.

Progressive and Geico I've heard decent things about, but their rates were higher than esurance.

jks9199

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
From what I've seen, Progressive has been decent. Personally, I'm with Allstate, and have been for years -- though that's as much about the agent as the company. I haven't had any hassles with them.

Cryozombie

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I had my bike insured thru progressive when it was totaled.

The Good: They were responsive, they paid quickly, and they maintained communication.

The Bad: They found excuse to pay less than they should have on the overall claim. They also refused to pay out on the stero I had installed on the bike, despite the fact I paid for extra coverage for it. Their adjuster said they saw no stereo on the bike at the wrecking yard, just speakers. I told them it may have been dislodged in the accdient, they said "no stereo no pay" even tho there was evidence one had been installed, and I have pics of it on the bike. So I paid extra for extra coverage they would not honor, in addition to shorting me on the overall payout. Also, the claims rep promised pics of the bike and the damage so I could see why the decision was made to total it, they did not provide them. I contacted a supervisor at Progressive who made the same promise, and did not provide them.

So despite the Positive aspects of the transactions with them... I still will no longer do business with them, mostly based on their refusal to pay out on my bike stereo.

Cryozombie

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Progressive and Geico I've heard decent things about, but their rates were higher than esurance.

I'm with Gieco now. Some billing issues, but their phone reps are always very friendly.

Latest Discussions