Amost cashed in my chips...

Flying Crane

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
Recently, my wife and I have begun driving down to San Jose on Tuesday nights to study under another martial arts teacher. Last night, we were driving down Interstate 85, into San Jose. We were cruising along in the Carpool lane, as the other lanes on the right sort of crawled along.

Suddenly, a big Chevy Suburban pulled out from the slow lane, into the Carpool lane, right in front of me. I can only surmise that he was a scofflaw who just got tired of the slow lane, and decided to drive in the Carpool lane even tho he was a Single Occupant Vehicle. Otherwise, I can't imagine why he would have stayed in the slow lane all that time, if he could have been in the Carpool lane. But of course this is only my speculation. I never got the opportunity to shake the Jackass's hand.

There he was, right in front of me, half in my lane, and we were approaching at about 60 or so miles per hour. I swerved to the left and went around him, without hitting him. Of course trying to straighten out again, at that speed and with that tight turning radius, caused us to begin to fishtale. Suddenly I was staring straight ahead at the cars in the slow lane, as my tires began screeching. I cranked the wheel hard to the left, the car fishtaled back and I was staring at the concrete divider in the median. I cranked to the right again, and again I was looking back at the cars. Tires continued to screech, but nothing blew out, I heard no snapping or popping or crunching to indicate I had hit anything/anyone yet, or that my car was beginning to disintegrate. I cranked to the left again, and there was the concrete divider again. Back to the right, and the cars. I honestly don't know how many times I switched back and forth between the concrete divider on the left, and the traffic on the right. I think I remember seeing each of them at least twice. But I got the car straightened out. Didn't hit anyone or anything, didn't damage my car, didn't blow any tires. Didn't spin out into traffic. Didn't roll my car.

I am grateful for the extra wide shoulder between my lane and the concrete divider. Without that room, I would have smashed up against the divider and probably been flung into the other cars. I am grateful for my younger years when I drove in the ice and snow of Wisconsin, and I learned how to recover from an out of control fishtale. I think experience kicked in and I reacted in a way that worked. The whole thing probably took between 5 and 8 seconds, and I am convinced that we almost died on the highway last night.

Please remember to drive safely and cautiously. It scared the hell out of us. I am sure it also scared the hell out of the drivers in the other cars, who suddenly had my headlights shining thru their side windows.

Class was good as well. Glad we made it in one piece.

Brian R. VanCise

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Glad you made it in one piece too!
icon14.gif

morph4me

Goin' with the flow
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I'm glad you're here to tell the story. I only hope the jackass in the Suburban realized it was his fault and is more careful in the future.

OP
Flying Crane

Flying Crane

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
I am very very happy to be here posting today. I would have hated to check out, without a chance to say goodbye to all my friends here.

Then you'd all be sitting around thinking "how come that Flying Crane guy don't write anymore?"
icon12.gif

be safe.

Flatlander

Grandmaster
Reaction score
It amazes and disgusts me that there are so many people out there driving vehicles that just have no idea of their surroundings. Completley oblivious to what's going on around them. Good job keeping your wits about you, FC. Perhaps karma will one day draw that idiot driver out in front of a train...... The train always wins.....

terryl965

<center><font size="2"><B>Martial Talk Ultimate<BR
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
God was watching over you Flying Crane and you are right about us if we did not hear from you we would be saying what happened to him.
Glad you are still around and hopefully for a long time

Lisa

Don't get Chewed!
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Holy crap FC my stomach was up in my throat just reading about it. I hope for karma to come and kick him in his ***, doing so, however, without the loss of any life.

OP
Flying Crane

Flying Crane

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
I consider myself to be fairly spiritual, but not very "religious".

Our class is held in a sideroom of a church, as the teacher does not have a space of his own. One of the students' father is the pastor of this church, so he has agreed to allow classes to be taught there.

When we arrived, I went straight into the chapel area and gave up a quick word of gratitude. I can't help feeling like perhaps "somebody" helped me thru that one.

Kreth

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Glad to hear it worked out OK, FC. Of course, the moron who almost caused an accident is most likely clueless and is probably telling his buddies about the idiot who tried to pass him in the carpool lane. :rolleyes:

bushidomartialarts

Senior Master
Reaction score
michael, congratulations on a smart and effective reaction to a dangerous situation. your training, experience and quick decision making saved your life and your wife's.

i'm glad you're still with us.

jdinca

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Glad you're okay! :wavey:

It's jerks like that that keep me in business...

Ceicei

Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Whew... I'm glad you got to keep your chips for a while longer!!! It is a miracle you escaped safely without injury. Your skill with driving definitely came into handy (and yes, I believe somebody was watching over you as well).

- Ceicei

grydth

Senior Master
Reaction score
I'm glad to see your quick reactions and coolness saved you..... but in upstate NY we have vast herds of these morons, and add in snow/ice/wind/subzero temperatures. I've had any number of close escapes on the commute to work, to the point where I honestly believe one of them will kill me some day........ and when questioned by police, it will look stupidly back at them and say,"Mooooooooo...or Baaaaaaaaaaa"

Too bad nobody has been able to develope an effective martial art against dangerous sheeple in cars. Wish I could mount a 20 mm under the hood.