Car accident, it's totaled

Omar B

Senior Master
Reaction score
So last night while heading home from my uncle's house my sister and my 2 month old niece were hit by a drunk driver. My precious Lexus LS 10 is completely totaled, but we are pretty ok aside from some bumps and bruises.

The deal is, my uncles and I were watching the Boise State football game while my sister and her 2 month old came along for the ride and to hang out with the family. After the game I let my sister drive because I had a few beers and we were going to swing by my mother's work to pick her up.

Heading east there was a 4 way intersection we had the green . A driver in a black Honda Civic coming from the north, broke the light while speeding trying to turn left to head east. He impacted the car on the front drivers side hitting us off the road.

Luckily it was a Lexus. The front is completely torn off, but the cabin is just fine, all the airbags deployed. Also, cops were in the Mcdonalds parking lot across the street and were there before I could even get my doors open. The cops and people on the scene were truly shocked we walked out fine. So I guess I'm gonna stick with Lexus.

Spent the night in the ER, I pretty much hurt all over. The cops could not arrest the guy because though he admits to drinking and they could smell alcohol on him, he was not over the legal limit.

So aside from a headache, chest pain and a tweaked left knee (to match my right reconstructed one) I've lost my damn car!

Cryozombie

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Thanks guys. I know I know, but I'm still pissed.

Yeah well, count it as a positive thing that you guys are ok... and let the insurance companies sort the rest out. It really could have been worse, man.

Stac3y

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Sorry to hear about your car, Omar, but glad y'all are okay.

MA-Caver

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
**** the car, I’m just glad you’re all doing OK.
Agreed your 2 month old niece is far more precious and valuable than that Lexus LS 10... including your sister and uncles and YOU homeboy!... :uhyeah: what would MT be without you eh?

Good to know that Lexus has built a sturdy car... could've been far worse.

oooh yeah... morbid curiosity... got pics? :lol:

OP
Omar B

Omar B

Senior Master
Reaction score
Yeah, I took some pix. I'm not sure of the quality of them since it was dark out. I'll see about getting them out of the camera later.

Edit. Just copied 3 pictures out of my camera. I don't have a Flicker account of any of that crap so if you wanna see 'em, drop me a PM and I'll email them.

Last edited:

Bill Mattocks

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I'm very glad that everyone is OK. So sorry to hear about the accident and the car and everything. I hope you feel back to normal soon.

Flea

Beating you all over those fries!
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Shame they couldn't arrest the boob ... the American legal system is weird sometimes. All the same, your family's safety is most important. Take care, and nurture yourself as needed.

Sukerkin

Have the courage to speak softly
MT Mentor
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Glad you and yours are okay, Omar.

It is a sadness that your car is wrecked but a happiness that it gave of itself to keep it's occupants alive.

As to the legal situation, over-the-limit- or not, the guy ran a red light and caused an accident. Surely that is going have consequences beyond insurance?

Drac

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Glad you are OK...Did the LEO cite the guy for causing the accident..Reckless OP???

bluekey88

Senior Master
Reaction score
Very glad to hear that you and your family are ok. Cars are replaceable....people not so much.

People,
Erik

OP
Omar B

Omar B

Senior Master
Reaction score
Thanks a lot dudes. I'm, sueing but it will take a while since my lawyer cuz is in texans. We'll all be getting body on frame pickups, don't ask, just take it'. Love you all, I've got no karate till Monday.

Carol

Crazy like a...
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Bill's like cool and stuff. :lol:

Very sorry to hear that you lost your "baby". Car problems are such a damn hassle. Glad you and family are OK.

Now I'm starting to think of a playlist for breaking in your next Lexus. ;)

OP
Omar B

Omar B

Senior Master
Reaction score
Glad you and yours are okay, Omar.

It is a sadness that your car is wrecked but a happiness that it gave of itself to keep it's occupants alive.

As to the legal situation, over-the-limit- or not, the guy ran a red light and caused an accident. Surely that is going have consequences beyond insurance?

Hey Brother, he was just under the limit so I can't fight him because we have all been there because I guess. What pisses me off is because I'm a NY guy who's anti-car and I bought and 60 thousand dollar car that got wrecked.

I got a luxury car because I knew it could take the **** and now it's gone. Does anyone understand the beauty of a Lexus?

Does anyone understand me? You buy a Lexus to take the **** on full force.

So, who knows what can take it on full force? What's body on frame that can take it?

Rich Parsons

A Student of Martial Arts
Founding Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Omar,

I am sorry to hear about the accident and I am glad that all walked away.

Check out http://www.safercar.gov/ it is nto always intuitive, but it does information from the federal tests. You might be able to find some information there. But I was not able to find anything with ease. :(

http://www.iihs.org/ratings/default.aspx

Is another site you might want to check for safety.

You do have to becareful as cars that have not been tested show nothing for feedback and may "look" or be perceived better that a newer vehcile that has side impact airbags that performed average.

And yes I like Body on Frame the sturdy design is something that allows for the cage design to work well.

The uni-body design is the cage itself and works and does create some mass reduction with this design which is why most small / compact vehicles have this type of design.

jks9199

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Yeah, I took some pix. I'm not sure of the quality of them since it was dark out. I'll see about getting them out of the camera later.

Edit. Just copied 3 pictures out of my camera. I don't have a Flicker account of any of that crap so if you wanna see 'em, drop me a PM and I'll email them.
Don't post 'em. At least not until you're sure that the insurance companies have finished their thing and you're not going to end up in court. The camera's a one-eyed idiot, and if you take 'em at the wrong angle or position, you can create a false impression.

Jade Tigress

RAWR
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
That really sucks. I am sooooo glad no one was seriously hurt. I'm surprised the guy didn't get arrested. I was under the impression that an arrest could be made even if you're under the *legal limit*. Maybe it's a state by state thing? I dunno much about it. In any case, hopefully you will be behind the wheel of a new Lexus very soon. And once again, it is very good news that no one was seriously injured, though I suspect you will be quite sore for a while.

Latest Discussions