Capoeira

OP
Q

Quick Sand

Hey,

I went to the roda at the club on Satuday and it was AMAZING !!!! It's definitely Capoeira Regional. It went on for over an hour and I jaw was on the floor for most of it. I can't wait until I move there in a month and can start to learn myself.

Also, I just saw Ocean's Twelve last night. Anyone else catch the capoeira "camio" in that movie? Knight Fox uses it. :)

arnisador

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I picked up a capoeira book yesterday:Learning Capoeira: Lessons In Cunning From An Afro-Brazilian Art by Greg Downey

It's an academic study, not a martial arts book per se--an ethnographic study by an anthropologist--but the author is a practitioner and does discuss some of his own experiences.

Here's the author's homepage:
http://www.nd.edu/~gdowney/

Note the following article:
"The Information Economy in No-Holds-Barred Fighting." In Melissa Fisher and Greg Downey, eds. Frontiers of Capital: Ethnographic Reflections on the New Economy.

OP
Q

Quick Sand

Hey, I was looking at that book online, not too long ago. Let us know how it is.

I picked up Nestor Capoeira's "The Little Capoeira Book" revised edition instead for my first purchase but I'm sure I'll be looking to pick up more reading material in the future.

Flying Crane

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
We were recently having a bit of a discussion involving some Capoeira in one of the other threads. I hadn't found this thread, didnt' know there had been a discussion going already. Love to continue the discussion if anyone has anything to say.

arnisador

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I'd love to hear some stories about people using capoeira for self-defense! I know it can be done, but I've never seen it. The sequences in the movie "The Mighty Quinn" were fairly convincing, though!

Ceicei

Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Quick Sand said:
Hey,

I went to the roda at the club on Satuday and it was AMAZING !!!! It's definitely Capoeira Regional. It went on for over an hour and I jaw was on the floor for most of it. I can't wait until I move there in a month and can start to learn myself.
Quick Sand,

I suppose you've moved there by now. Have you started Capoeira and how is it going with your training?

- Ceicei

Flying Crane

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
arnisador said:
I'd love to hear some stories about people using capoeira for self-defense! I know it can be done, but I've never seen it. The sequences in the movie "The Mighty Quinn" were fairly convincing, though!
Well, I have not used capoeira to defend myself, nor have I witnessed anyone else do it, tho I have seen some rough rodas. I do have some thoughts on it, tho, and my opinions are based on about 7-8 years of obsessive training in capoeira, and a martial arts career of about 21 years.

First, I think it is important to distinguish between the "fight" of capoeira and the "game" of capoeira.

The game is what is played in the roda. This is where capoeiristas are able to bring out their best moves and be creative. While the game can be quite rough and even dangerous, it is still done with respect (or at least should be) so it is understood that much of what is done is meant to develop the physical dialoge between the players. This is not often the same as what would be done in a fight.

The Fight of capoeira is what would be used in a real street fight or self defense situation. Much of the acrobatics and such that make capoeira so unusual and beautiful would be eliminated under these circumstances. I think capoeira has some unusual techniques that could be quite useful on the street. Examples are the kick known as the Meia Lua de Compasso, as well as the groundwork and other footwork that the art uses. I think these techniques can be useful and can catch an opponent by surprise if he has never seen capoeira before. This surprise is what gives capoeira its strength.

Much of what makes a great capoeira game has no place on the street. It would get you killed. I suspect a fight on the street involving a capoeirista may look fairly similar to a fight involving another kind of martial artist. There may be some techniques that are uniquely capoeira, but I would be surprised to see any deliberate "ginga" or acrobatics. It would probably be brutal and nasty and rather ugly, like most fighting.

mantis

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Cthulhu said:
Only the Strong (I think that's the title) came out in the 90's starring Mark Dacascos (sp?). That what you're thinkin' of, Gou?

Cthulhu
thank you for telling us about the movie
I actually got it and just finished watching it
it's pretty good martial art exhibition
capoeira looks very cool

arnisador

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Check out "The Mighty Quinn" with Denzel Washington for some good Capoeira in action. It comes on TV occasionally.

Flying Crane

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
The school in which I used to train is having its annual Batizato/Graduation/Promotions ceremony. Anyone in the San Francisco area who might be interested, come on by.
[size=+1][/size]
[size=+1][/size]
[size=+1]EVENT ANNOUNCEMENT[/size]
[size=+1]ABADÁ-Capoeira San Francisco Announces[/size]
[size=+2]Jogos 2005 Capoeira Competition and Batizado[/size]
Events will benefit ACSF's free youth programs
[size=-3][/size]
[size=-3]When: Adult/Teen Batizado Saturday, November 5th 2:00-4:00pm[/size]
[size=-3] Adult/Teen Jogos Competition Saturday, November 5th 6:00-9:00pm[/size]
[size=-3] Kids' Jogos Competition Sunday, November 6th 12:00-2:00pm[/size]
[size=-3]
[/size]

[size=-3]Where: ABADÁ-Capoeira San Francisco's Brazilian Arts Center[/size]
[size=-3] 3221 22nd Street (at Mission Street)[/size]
[size=-3] San Francisco, California 94110[/size]
[size=-3]
[/size]

[size=-3]Contact: Sara Breselor, Programs Manager, (415) 206-0650,[/size][size=-3] [email protected][/size]
[size=-3]
[/size]

[size=-3]Tickets: $10 @door per event, 2 events $15, 3 events $20, $5 for Seniors & Youth 5-18.[/size]
[size=-3]
[/size]

[size=-3]What: ABADÁ-Capoeira San Francisco (ACSF) is hosting its bi-annual In-House capoeira competition for Kids, Teens, and Adults in conjunction with its annual Adult & Teen Batizado ceremony.[/size]
[size=-3]
[/size]

[size=-3]The Competitions will benefit The Reaching All Youth Project, a program at ACSF that offers free and reduced-price classes to youth aged 5-19 from low-income families. Youth and adult capoeira students are raising money for The RAY Project by enlisting sponsors to support their participation in the competition. Every competitor has committed to raising at least $100 (or more!) for The RAY Project.[/size]
[size=-1]
[/size]

[size=-1]ACSF is honored to bring special guest Mestre Camisa to Jogos 2005. Mestre Camisa was a student of the legendary Mestre Bimba and is a living part of capoeira's rich history. Mestre Camisa will teach a series of Master Workshops at ACSF's Brazilian Arts Center (November 1st-4th) and share his vast knowledge with students and audiences from the Bay Area and beyond. A 40-year veteran of capoeira, Mestre Camisa is considered to be one of the most prominent figures in the development and preservation of capoeira. He founded the ABADÁ-Capoeira Foundation, based in Rio de Janeiro, in 1988. Under his direction, the Foundation has become the world's largest capoeira organization, represented in over 20 countries, with over 40,000 members. Mestre Camisa's extreme talent and agility have gained him worldwide recognition, and his extensive work to gain respect and recognition for capoeira as an art and a sport, within Brazil and internationally, have earned Mestre Camisa his status as a living legend[/size]

arnisador

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
The latest issue of Black Belt has an article discussing Charlize Theron's training in this art for the upcoming "Aeon Flux" movie.

Solidman82

Purple Belt
Reaction score
I believe Milla Jovovich studied it as well for her role in Resident Evil: Apocolypse.

arnisador

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I saw that movie (I'm embarrassed to say), but don't recall recognizing any capoeira in it.

Solidman82

Purple Belt
Reaction score
There's a weapons style of Capoeira too, might be where the extending baton work came from.

Flying Crane

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
Solidman82 said:
There's a weapons style of Capoeira too, might be where the extending baton work came from.

There is a stick and machete dance called "maculele", that is descendant from the slaves' work in the sugarcane fields. Not everyone agrees with me but I believe its origins lie with the African fighting arts. It has always been considered separate from capoeira, tho many capoeira schools also teach maculele.

Flying Crane

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
arnisador said:
The latest issue of Black Belt has an article discussing Charlize Theron's training in this art for the upcoming "Aeon Flux" movie.

I did see that article. I have a hard time watching that kind of thing in a movie, 'cause I can usually see thru the filmatography. Sometimes it's not such a good thing when you know too much.
icon11.gif

arnisador

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I've never seen any weapons work in capoeira! Please, say more about it! Is it like garrote?

Flying Crane

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
arnisador said:
I've never seen any weapons work in capoeira! Please, say more about it! Is it like garrote?

There are stories of capoeiristas fighting with razor blades held in their toes. other that that and maculele, i do not believe there is a full weapons art.

arnisador

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I've heard of Sikaran practitioners doing that with sharpened coins. I don't know if it's true!

Solidman82

Purple Belt
Reaction score
The weapons stuff I've seen is like this. Footwork is Capoeira, Weapons work is basic arnis (I say that because I only know basic arnis estrella)