Capoeira Curiosities

OP
B

Bigodinho

Phoenix44 said:
Lucky me. I wasn't around long enough to care about the politics! :)
Yeah, unfortunately politics are a big part of it. There is one other group in San Antonio, and although we don't quite care about the "business" they run, plus they really don't uphold the traditions of capoeira, we have to keep good relations, for political reasons.

I'm sure this holds true with most other MA, there's always someone new popping up claiming to be an instructor... they train for a year or two and want to start their own group. Or watched a video, or "Only the Strong" and believe they've learned enough to teach the next person. This type of thing is spreading like a virus in capoeira, eating up at its culture and tradition, diluting the quality of capoeira in the U.S. That's why I always say, before you join a group, do the reasearch, check out the groups credentials, their history, how long the instructor's been training and with whom. It may mean the difference between good quality training with all the traditions intact, or learning from Eddy Grodo from Tekken 3.

Curious, is this the case in your MAs? Your opinion.

OP
B

Bigodinho

That was some pretty funny stuff.

Hey, what did ya'll think of the video I posted?

GAB

3rd Black Belt
Reaction score
Since I am new to this board and this string, I will say that unfortunetly, Politics is one of the biggest things I notice in all MA..
I like to call It "Gamesmanship"since that is what is.
I would like to get the "little book" someone was talking about. I posted in another forum regarding this very topic.
When I found this I am stating the same request, where would you go to get it?
Thank you, G

OP
B

Bigodinho

True, but I wouldn't train with him. I actually like Christie Monteiro, the girl who replace Eddy in Tekken 4. She's a hottie. HER I would train with. lol.

OP
B

Bigodinho

GAB said:
Since I am new to this board and this string, I will say that unfortunetly, Politics is one of the biggest things I notice in all MA..
I like to call It "Gamesmanship"since that is what is.
I would like to get the "little book" someone was talking about. I posted in another forum regarding this very topic.
When I found this I am stating the same request, where would you go to get it?
Thank you, G
Do you mean "The Little Capoeira Book" by Mestre Nestor Capoeira? You can get that at any Borders Book Store, and if they don't have it in stock, you can order it. There's actually another book Mestre Nestor wrote called "Capoeira: Roots, Fight, Dance." That's a really good one. You can get that at Borders too.

Enson

3rd Black Belt
Reaction score
Bigodinho said:
By the way... this was me last year.

www.capoeiratexas.com/bigser.wmv

It may take a second to load. I'm the guy of course.:rolleyes:
well i don't know anything about the style, but your movements look a little stiff. or course i'm comparing you to the www.airport-tkd.com videos. those guys make it look like it flows. not saying your not good, but maybe different version of "the cap"

OP
B

Bigodinho

Enson said:
well i don't know anything about the style, but your movements look a little stiff. or course i'm comparing you to the www.airport-tkd.com videos. those guys make it look like it flows. not saying your not good, but maybe different version of "the cap"
As I said before, those guys are not capoeiristas. They were gymnasts. Trust me, I know the difference. I've never been accused of being incredibly flexable, not like the "plastic man" in that video. I've seen breakdancers do a lot of the moves those guys did, but that doesn't make them capoeiristas, you know? There's a hugh difference between the MA aspect of capoeira, and the show aspect, and those guys are all show.

Enson

3rd Black Belt
Reaction score
Bigodinho said:
As I said before, those guys are not capoeiristas. They were gymnasts. Trust me, I know the difference. I've never been accused of being incredibly flexable, not like the "plastic man" in that video. I've seen breakdancers do a lot of the moves those guys did, but that doesn't make them capoeiristas, you know? There's a hugh difference between the MA aspect of capoeira, and the show aspect, and those guys are all show.
i stand corrected. like i said i don't know anything apart from what i've seen on videos. i apologize if i offended you. if you are that high up in your art you probably have put in the hours, tears, sweat, blood, money, and have the skill.
peace

OP
B

Bigodinho

Enson said:
i stand corrected. like i said i don't know anything apart from what i've seen on videos. i apologize if i offended you. if you are that high up in your art you probably have put in the hours, tears, sweat, blood, money, and have the skill.
peace
Why does every always think I'm offended... lol! Did I sound offended? :) My bad!

OP
B

Bigodinho

DeLamar.J said:
:roflmao: Yea me to. Im gonna try some of those techniques at class tomorrow, and see what my instructor thinks.
He'd probably shoot you if you did that! Mine would. :machgunr:

GAB

3rd Black Belt
Reaction score
To: BIGODINHO
Thank you for the information that you gave me regarding the books and the online information. I did get into the Texas web site, I had to close down what I was doing and then go to the site, (not enough ram I guess).
I like the site, very nice. Wish you were closer to my area, but the books will have to do for now.
I am pretty much consumed with FMA at this time, but am going to research and read more on your art "Capoeira".
Again I would like to say, Thank you, and add, that with the amount of information you gave me regarding the book, you must be a good instructor.
Regards, Gary

OP
B

Bigodinho

GAB said:
To: BIGODINHO
Thank you for the information that you gave me regarding the books and the online information. I did get into the Texas web site, I had to close down what I was doing and then go to the site, (not enough ram I guess).
I like the site, very nice. Wish you were closer to my area, but the books will have to do for now.
I am pretty much consumed with FMA at this time, but am going to research and read more on your art "Capoeira".
Again I would like to say, Thank you, and add, that with the amount of information you gave me regarding the book, you must be a good instructor.
Regards, Gary
Well, maybe one day I hope to be a good instructor. For now I'll have to settle for being a good student.:)
Anytime I can pass on information about capoeira, I'm more than willing to. If you ever have any more questions, please ask. That goes for everyone!!!

Ceicei

Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Bigodinho said:
By the way... this was me last year.

www.capoeiratexas.com/bigser.wmv

It may take a second to load. I'm the guy of course.:rolleyes:
Looks impressive.

The question I have is, since capoeira is a martial arts, how would you adapt it in a self defense situation? If this takes away from your thread, perhaps a new thread can be made addressing that question? Very little is known about capoeira, even among MA circles.

- Ceicei

Phoenix44

Master of Arts
Reaction score
As I mentioned, my daughter and I trained in capoeira for a short while. Unfortunately, we had to stop training for reasons that had nothing to do with capoeira. Here's what we think:

Capoeira has strong kicks, including front, roundhouse, hook, side, crescent and various spinning kicks. There are sweeps and take downs, blocks, evasions, floor work, and nice overall body movement. So, does that sound like something that can be used for self defense? Actually, it sounds a lot like the karate and jujustsu we also practice.

I don't know where anyone got the idea that your hands are always on the ground when you play capoeira. And sure, we play with music, singing and rhythm. If you're really good (and we weren't!) you can also do the more gymnastic movements--jumping spinning kicks and flips. But as far as self-defense is concerned, I'd hate to be kicked by a ticked off capoeirista.

Latest Discussions