Cane Forms

Dan Anderson

Master of Arts
Reaction score
Not a stupid question at all. A student of mine, Barry McConnell, uses a canemaster cane. I teach with a 28 inch stick. I do not teach walking cane forms.

Yours,
Dan Anderson

arnisador

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
tshadowchaser said:
when you refer to cane forms are you talking about an actual cane (36-46 onches) or about a stick.

Indeed, the use of the term can vary considerably. In Modern Arnis we usually mean a straight stick that's a little over two feet long.

chris arena

Green Belt
Reaction score
I only learned the first 3 stick anyo's under Datu Kelly Worden. However, we do the form with single stick, double stick, sword, espada daga and staff. In addition, we do the entire combination as a 2 man form. I have done the 2 man version in demo's with great response.

Chris Arena

tshadowchaser

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Founding Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I do not teach walking cane forms.
Why not substitute a walking cane for the stick. To me it would seem more people would be seen walking with a walking cane not a stick in their hand so why not trin with it

MJS

Administrator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
tshadowchaser said:
Why not substitute a walking cane for the stick. To me it would seem more people would be seen walking with a walking cane not a stick in their hand so why not trin with it

Thats a good point Sheldon! With some slight modifications if necessary, due to the longer weapon, one should be able to employ the techniques as they would be done with a shorter weapon.

Mike

DrBarber

Green Belt
Reaction score
tshadowchaser said:

Good thought and observation.

However, don't wait for anyone else to do it! Make it for yourself and have some fun while you are doing it.
icon6.gif

Jerome Barber, Ed.D.

tshadowchaser

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Founding Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Been doing it for years substituting my canes in open hand foms to see what work and what dose not and also to see how I need to change techniques with a weapon in hand

Latest Discussions