Can you tell me how you feel about declawing cats?

OP
Blade96

Blade96

Senior Master
Reaction score
Those claws can really get stuck in your throat-and the ones on kittens can even get stuck between your teeth!

Huh? You eat the claws somehow? lol?

btw i showed all my kitties on here, MT :uhyeah:

http://www.martialtalk.com/forum/showthread.php?t=86745

None of them declawed. and our furniture was safe. It looks nice. we never believed in declawing. Its possible for cats to happily live with furniture and not tear it to ribbons. Oh, we have a scratching pad that my cat, Princess, likes. :angel:

Dirty Dog

MT Senior Moderator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
We have 3 cats. They are indoor cats. They have never shown any interest in going outdoors. They have, however, shown plenty of interest (and skill) in shredding the furniture. Hence, they have no front claws any more. They do still have their rear claws, which are the ones used for defense. They also have their teeth. Those are their defensive weapons. The front claws are mainly used for climbing (and ours have no trouble climbing their cat pole), shredding furniture, and doing the happy feet dance on my trachea. After removing the front claws, the cats, the furniture, and my trachea are all fine.

CanuckMA

Master of Arts
Reaction score
After hitting it with a ball peen hammer, gutting, skinning and stewing it, if you've failed to remove the claws you might very well wind up with one in your mouth,.......

........I'm just sayin' :lol:

You use a hammer? and you stew them?

You, sir, are a barbarian and a culinary heathen.

You need an axe. And everybody knows that cats are best enjoyed roasted.

elder999

El Oso de Dios!
Reaction score
You need an axe. And everybody knows that cats are best enjoyed roasted.

Nothing beats that cross-eyed look just before you smack them between the eyes with a ball peen hammer.....

.....and dude, two(?) words: crock pot. :lfao:

(Quite right about the barbarian and heathen part, though, at least that's what my mom's always called me! :lfao: )

Ken Morgan

Senior Master
MT Mentor
Reaction score
And if I had a son (I have no children), there would be no circumcision, and I don't care if I have to gnaw off the umbilical cord myself to keep the state from getting involved in that nasty little state-sponsored act of terror.

I gotta ask, what are you refering to? What goes on south of the border?

Bill Mattocks

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I gotta ask, what are you refering to? What goes on south of the border?

A bit off-topic, but since we were talking about the propriety of removing bodily parts from pets, this is something that is removed from male children in the USA; generally without seeking the parent's permission or indeed even informing them that they have the option to refuse to have it done.

http://www.historyofcircumcision.net/index.php?option=com_content&task=category&sectionid=8&id=73

It was (and in many cases still is) performed immediately after birth for nearly 100% of all male children born in the USA, in some locations by law. It is performed without anesthetic and without permission from the parents (in many cases). It is considered 'routine' and 'normal' in the USA, and any parent who does not want this procedure performed on their child is immediately suspect.

I was born in 1961. The procedure was not optional at that time. And now that it is optional in some places in the USA, parents aren't told that.

So I'm a lot more fussed about that than I am about a cat's claws.

OP
Blade96

Blade96

Senior Master
Reaction score
It is also possible that I am a Chinese jet fighter pilot. But not likely, in either case.

I'll have to invite you to my parents house then. :uhyeah: and see all the nice furniture. and my cat princess with all of her claws.

After hitting it with a ball peen hammer, gutting, skinning and stewing it, if you've failed to remove the claws you might very well wind up with one in your mouth,.......

........I'm just sayin' :lol:

You use a hammer? and you stew them?

You, sir, are a barbarian and a culinary heathen.

LOL don't think this post is meant to be literal :p I think cats tick him off at times =]

A bit off-topic, but since we were talking about the propriety of removing bodily parts from pets, this is something that is removed from male children in the USA; generally without seeking the parent's permission or indeed even informing them that they have the option to refuse to have it done.

http://www.historyofcircumcision.net/index.php?option=com_content&task=category&sectionid=8&id=73

It was (and in many cases still is) performed immediately after birth for nearly 100% of all male children born in the USA, in some locations by law. It is performed without anesthetic and without permission from the parents (in many cases). It is considered 'routine' and 'normal' in the USA, and any parent who does not want this procedure performed on their child is immediately suspect.

I was born in 1961. The procedure was not optional at that time. And now that it is optional in some places in the USA, parents aren't told that.

My bro had to have it done but thats because his was always causing him pain and chronic infections. He was done for medical reasons. Otherwise, no. and what - without anesthetic? If I had a baby boy and they were gonna do that to him, I dont think i could be held responsible for my actions. :uhyeah: (well they can try. But cutting part of my child without anesthetic. Let me at em.)

Wow though. Female circumcision is considered barbaric but this isnt. Whats the difference. Both are done without anesthetic.

CanuckMA

Master of Arts
Reaction score
LOL don't think this post is meant to be literal :p I think cats tick him off at times =]

Oh, I know Elder, he really does not know how to cook cat. :ultracool

Wow though. Female circumcision is considered barbaric but this isnt. Whats the difference. Both are done without anesthetic.

The difference is vast, both in scope and results.

elder999

El Oso de Dios!
Reaction score
Oh, I know Elder, he really does not know how to cook cat. :ultracool

Oh, yeah I do. Sadly, I can only prepare it very rarely, as I have the trifecta of cat allergies: hair, saliva and dander.

Someone else has to do the killin', guttin', and skinnin'....:lol:
......but I always do the cookin'! :lfao:

Bill Mattocks

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I'll have to invite you to my parents house then. :uhyeah: and see all the nice furniture. and my cat princess with all of her claws.

You have anecdotal evidence to one side, and I have it to the other. That's a stalemate. I would accept that it is possible that SOME cats which are not declawed won't scratch up the furniture. I think it would be a stretch to argue that it therefore means that no cats scratch furniture, or that all cats can be taught not to. Clearly not the case.

In the USA, well-meaning do-gooding parents, doctors, and behaviorists convinced most that circumcision was a good thing, for sanitary reasons and for reasons of psychological well-being. It is not intended to destroy the pleasurable feelings received by the nerve endings in the glans, nor does it (to put it somewhat delicately).

Female so-called 'circumcision' is not actually that; it is intentional surgical mutilation or complete removal of the clitoris, intended to destroy the feelings received by the nerve endings in that organ so that no pleasure will be experienced by the woman upon whom it is performed; there is no sanitary or psychological well-being argument used. This procedure is generally based upon culture and history, primarily in Africa, parts of the Middle East, and Asia. It is often associated with Islam, although it is not an Islamic practice. However, since the geographical areas in which it is still practiced are often areas where Islam is the dominant religion, many think it is something demanded of Sharia Law; it is not.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Female_genital_cutting

dancingalone

Grandmaster
Reaction score
In the USA, well-meaning do-gooding parents, doctors, and behaviorists convinced most that circumcision was a good thing, for sanitary reasons and for reasons of psychological well-being.

Indeed. My wife and I talked to three different pediatricians about this very topic. They all said it was obviously a personal parental decision, but they all recommended circumcision.

Carol

Crazy like a...
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I grew up with a cat that was indoor/outdoor and never had to be declawed. My last two indoor-only cats, I tried for -- literally -- years to get them to stop clawing the furniture. I tried to train them, I bought them scratching posts, I even bought Franklin his own cat tower. He scratched his stuff up to be sure, but he scratched everything else as well.

I think some cats simply take to training better than others.

Archangel M

Senior Master
Reaction score

Do you remember it??

elder999

El Oso de Dios!
Reaction score
Indeed. My wife and I talked to three different pediatricians about this very topic. They all said it was obviously a personal parental decision, but they all recommended circumcision.

There is apparently some correlation betweencontracting HIV and circumcision. The WHO and the NIH of both recommended male circumcision as part of a broad based plan to curtail the spread of HIV.

OP
Blade96

Blade96

Senior Master
Reaction score
Oh, yeah I do. Sadly, I can only prepare it very rarely, as I have the trifecta of cat allergies: hair, saliva and dander.

Someone else has to do the killin', guttin', and skinnin'....:lol:
......but I always do the cookin'! :lfao:

siamese cat steaks, anyone? :p

OnlyAnEgg

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
In late and probably repeating; but, here's my spin:

1) you have to know they won't be relegated to the outside world (escapees excluded)
2) they have to be young enough to heal...less than 3 years.

On the other hand, there's a declawed tom that runs the cats where I live...

kaizasosei

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
well, this goes for humans too but i have often witness animals playing and fighting for real and with animals it seems that they actually omit very nasty moves against their own kind. So they are actually really good sports.

A cat with no claws could freely waste the eyes of an attacker without carrying the burden of cheaping, being at a disadvantage anyhow and the attacker could be defeated like that. Instead of fighting with hanging telltale claws, it might be able to use the paws more like dexterous fingers(for defence as well as offence).

Or maybe the lack of claws force the cat to grapple in new ways. Or it has jaws like the arms of a person in a wheelchair. ?

j

Latest Discussions