Can you tell me how you feel about declawing cats?

Blade96

Senior Master
Reaction score
Was wondering what were your beliefs on it. I saw a declawed cat at our vet's when we were treating our white cat after my mother accidentally hit him with the cat. (he recovered and lived the rest of the summer but died on oct 17 2009. We didnt know he had feline leukemia.)

I disagree with declawing. But what do the rest of you think about it?

Big Don

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
While I don't like cats, at all, removing their claws, seems a tad stupid, to me. Like, I don't know, buying a car and removing it's wheels

elder999

El Oso de Dios!
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
Was wondering what were your beliefs on it. I saw a declawed cat at our vet's when we were treating our white cat after my mother accidentally hit him with the cat. (he recovered and lived the rest of the summer but died on oct 17 2009. We didnt know he had feline leukemia.)

Those claws can really get stuck in your throat-and the ones on kittens can even get stuck between your teeth! I hate that!

I'm all in favor of declawing them-it makes the pads of their paws that much easier to savor.....

Archangel M

Senior Master
Reaction score
Our cat lived 17+ years without his claws. He didn't seem to miss them.

Sukerkin

Have the courage to speak softly
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Whilst there are the practical experiences of some members that show that cats can cope with de-clawing, I, personally, do not like it for the very simple aversive reason that it is maiming the animal.

I am not averse to putting a bullet into some creature and having it for my dinner or ridding the world of 'vermin' by whatever means necessary. In truth, I also do not like cats very much, being a 'dog person'. But permanently robbing a hunting animal of part of it's arsenal I cannot agree with.

In simplistic terms, if you don't want a cat scratching up your house, don't have a cat.

kaizasosei

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Declawing is worse than cliping the wings of an immature bird because the wings grow back. Declawing, i disagree for the most part-can't think why i would do that. I love the claws and dealing with them. Like having roses without a bit of thorn-Somehow part of the beauty and i think declawing will harm a cats psyche-stripping it of it's primal instincts-disabled.

-But i think it would be fair to do a bit more study- who knows, maybe they don't miss them as much i would think?? Knowing cats, they would be clever enough to get by without claws-but tree climbing, grip off a wall- things that are important for cats would be next to impossible.

j

elder999

El Oso de Dios!
Reaction score
Those claws can really get stuck in your throat-and the ones on kittens can even get stuck between your teeth! I hate that!

I'm all in favor of declawing them-it makes the pads of their paws that much easier to savor.....

In all seriousness, we've had cats for the barn. Declawing them would not have been productive for mousers. On the other hand, I'd have to say that it depends upon the environment-if there's a legitimate reason for their having their claws removed-though I can't imagine one, having never kept cats indoors-then it's probably a good thing to do.

In principle, though, I'd be against maiming a pet, on aesthetic grounds. I had a hard time chipping and tatooing our dogs.......I'd definitely declaw a cat before
stewing it, though..:lfao: (I kill me! Hey, Bob, how about an ALF smiley?? :lfao: )

Last edited:

Archangel M

Senior Master
Reaction score
Exactly elder. I have had barn cats as well. Declawing them would have been stupid. However our dear departed house cat was ALWAYS going to be a house cat. He suffered no apparent pain that I could recall and had no ill effects.

However... our current Cat has retained hers.

CanuckMA

Master of Arts
Reaction score
I grew up with a cat. Declawed. She went outside and brought home 'gifts' on a regular basis. We also lived in a row of fenceless backyards. Ours was the last on in the line, and the only one where the free roaming German shepherd never dared to venture.

Saved a great deal of furniture.

tellner

Senior Master
Reaction score
A cat without its claws has most of its defense and a good bit of its ability to escape removed. Some do alright that way. Many more die before their time or are very unhappy. If there's not a compelling reason to declaw a cat I would recommend against it. Of course, I'm also against docking dogs' tails and ears for esthetic reasons.

Archangel M

Senior Master
Reaction score
I can't think of what my house cat would have needed claws to defend itself from.

If you do go with declawing though...that cat should be an indoor cat from then on IMO.

girlbug2

Master of Arts
Reaction score
Correct me if I am wrong, but when you declaw a cat isn't it up to the first joint? In other words, not just removing the "nail" but also part of the "finger". If so, I would consider that to be maiming.

No cat who has even a small chance of getting outside should be declawed, because the claws are what allow them to both defend themselves and to escape up a fence or a tree.

If a cat is scratching things indoors, they do make these tips now that cover the ends of the claws and make it impossible for them to scratch. They even come in designer colors. My cat doesn't need them because he has satisfying scratching surfaces outside on the trees and fences. But if he were ever to be an all-indoor cat, I'd put the tips on his claws rather than declawing him.

Archangel M

Senior Master
Reaction score
My Cats paws looked entirely normal.

Of course that was 17 years ago when I was a newlywed..childless person living in apartments. My current situation is entirely different and that was the one and only cat I ever had that was declawed. Far from a wide range of experience with declawing.

Last edited:

Carol

Crazy like a...
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Franklin was declawed with a laser. His claws were cut off and nothing more. He healed quickly his paws look normal. I can't say I'm completely for it, however in some circumstances I think it is an option, if the cat is an indoor cat. I certainly don't think it is a choice that should be done without a lot of thought.

I'm on the top floor, the only time mine is outside is if he's in my arms or under very close watch.

Drac

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Our first adoption had all his claws removed by it previous owner..With all the ones that followed only the front ones removed, they are house cats and have no desire to return to the place we rescued them from.The only exceptions are our 2 runts, They have a full set.

RandomPhantom700

Master of Arts
Reaction score

I'm all for it, and while you're at it, cut off the head, too! Sorry, but I despise cats.

Bill Mattocks

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
When I was in my late 20's, I inherited my ex-wife's cat. It had its front claws removed, but still had the back ones. I didn't really like cats, but did not have the heart to get rid of it, and we eventually made peace and became friends. She used to bring me 'gifts' of dismembered birds she caught, so I know she was able to deal with not having front claws, and she still had back ones.

When I met my current wife, years later, I still had the cat, which was quite elderly at that point. My wife had two cats that were not declawed. They had completely wrecked her upholstered furniture, there was nearly nothing left of the chairs she owned. My wife's cats immediately began tearing my cat to ribbons, and we decided to have her cats declawed as well, so they would at least be on an equal footing.

Since that time, my cat passed from old age, and we added another cat, so we're back to three (and two dogs). The new cat was likewise declawed in front (all of them still have their back claws). Since it's been a progression starting with my cat, which came to me already declawed, the decision has been fairly simple to make.

I do not know what we'd do if we were starting with a cat where we had not owned any before. I'm fairly confident that my wife would not want to declaw the cat, whereas I do not want very expensive furniture shredded. Not sure how that argument would end.

For the record, I would not dock a dog's ears or tail. I don't care if that's the breed standard or not, the ears and tail stay as they were. On the other hand, one of our dogs was born with double dew-claws, and the vet strongly suggested that we have them removed as a safety precaution for the dog.

And if I had a son (I have no children), there would be no circumcision, and I don't care if I have to gnaw off the umbilical cord myself to keep the state from getting involved in that nasty little state-sponsored act of terror. Front claws on cats? I'm a little easier with that, having seen the results both with and without.

Latest Discussions