Can you name this form in this video?

YounWha

Yellow Belt
Reaction score

I am covering my bases here...can you tell me the lineage of this form (Japanese, Chinese, etc.)?

Last edited by a moderator:
OP
Y

YounWha

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
The form is called Youn Wha - and that's me doing it.

I was just wondering what roots/origins it may have. I don't think it's Korean.

bdparsons

Black Belt
Reaction score

I am covering my bases here...can you tell me the lineage of this form (Japanese, Chinese, etc.)?

Reaching way back here but the form seems very similair to a form known variously as Bassai, Bassai-dai, Passai. Okinawan in origin I believe.

Respects,
Bill Parsons
Triangle Kenpo Institute

Last edited by a moderator:
OP
Y

YounWha

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
Reaching way back here but the form seems very similair to a form known variously as Bassai, Bassai-dai, Passai. Okinawan in origin I believe.

Respects,
Bill Parsons
Triangle Kenpo Institute

We do that form as well...unless their is more than one form of Bassai.

The thing I am wondering is that it blocking - in parts - are circular. The beginning for example is using a swinging close handed fan block downwards - more or less.

Kennedy_Shogen_Ryu

Blue Belt
Reaction score
It looks to me like a Japanese form with a touch of Korean. It has some similarities to some Shorin Ryu forms, especially Passai (Bassai) and Ananku.

terryl965

<center><font size="2"><B>Martial Talk Ultimate<BR
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Since you do this style and GM Han seem to be available to you, why do you choose not to ask him.

Really this looks like some Okinawa and Korean blended together his Bio says he was tought both so maybe it was invented by him and he is the only one that could answer the question.

What does your opersonal Instructor tell you about the set of forms you do, does he have no clue and he is teaching it? If so that is a red flag in my book. One should know everything about a form before teaching it.

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Since you do this style and GM Han seem to be available to you, why do you choose not to ask him.

Really this looks like some Okinawa and Korean blended together his Bio says he was tought both so maybe it was invented by him and he is the only one that could answer the question.

What does your opersonal Instructor tell you about the set of forms you do, does he have no clue and he is teaching it? If so that is a red flag in my book. One should know everything about a form before teaching it.[/quoteI

I suspect this could be the case, I could see bits that looked like Bassai, Kushanku and Seishan (Wado Ryu and prob Shotokan as well?) in there as well as the Bassai I know from TSD. It's odd, as you point out, to not be told anything by your instructor though.

OP
Y

YounWha

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
Ok - let me lighten up a thing or two.

I like to cover my bases when it comes to what I have been told.
I like to ask around and get many idea's and views instead of believing
just one source.

As to our system: I love it and the people I train with. To me being a martial arts fan since I was little - this system fits me well and the people in it are true and heartfelt.

That all being said I believe that since GMH speaks very little english to this day ( and less in the 80's ) that some things told by him were mistranslated in the past (we found out some forms were misspelled on our list). But as you all know asking about a korean's past could be viewed as disrepectful. Also I don't see GMH but every few months anyway. I did see his son this past weekend about some questions (not about the form) and he could answer some but would have to ask GMH on others.

Many people don't know about Youn Wha and just read the websites and read into it wrong. I think that the way our system is should be re-written to make more sense to the general public.

We are getting more detailed answers and a better history of our system
but it is a slow effort. An example is trying to find roots on Youn Wha (Yeon Hwa) online and pretty much all you get is our sites.

In a nutshell I believe in GMH and his system. I do want to know more about the history of GMH without disrespecting him. He did grow up in a time in Korean where a man's word was all you went by and you didn't question him or his past.

Latest Discussions