Can you be addicted to Martial Arts?

Buka

Sr. Grandmaster
Staff member
MT Mentor
Reaction score
By a strict definition of addiction, no. Addictions are, by definition, harmful.
But it's true that people commonly use "addicted" to refer to anything they really enjoy.
Ya, but some mornings getting up, when those old martial injuries are infuriated by high and low pressure areas switching back and forth....well, you know.

AIKIKENJITSU

Green Belt
Reaction score
I've been in martial arts a long time and I still enjoy practicing and teaching it. I did not go hot and heavy practicing with someone that could hurt me in my past years. later I practiced my full speed and all my techniques on my imaginary partner. He was always six foot in height, in my mind.
Sifu

Gyakuto

Senior Master
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I suppose the terms ‘enthusiasm‘, perhaps leading to ‘obsession’ are more appropriate than ‘addiction’.

I remember back in the 80s seeing a middle-aged man, sporting a white belt at a Karate summer seminar. He had the Wado Ryu ‘fist and dove’ logo tattooed, in full-colour, covering the whole back of each hand, the kanji for Wado Ryu up his forearms, more fist and doves on his shoulders, chest and his calves! Even as a 14 year old boy, myself obsessed with Wado Ryu karate, I wondered if he’d taken leave of his senses making such public and bold statement with permanent body art!

I don’t recall seeing him at subsequent training camps and I sometimes wonder if he still practises…

Dirty Dog

MT Senior Moderator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
I suppose the terms ‘enthusiasm‘, perhaps leading to ‘obsession’ are more appropriate than ‘addiction’.

I remember back in the 80s seeing a middle-aged man, sporting a white belt at a Karate summer seminar. He had the Wado Ryu ‘fist and dove’ logo tattooed, in full-colour, covering the whole back of each hand, the kanji for Wado Ryu up his forearms, more fist and doves on his shoulders, chest and his calves! Even as a 14 year old boy, myself obsessed with Wado Ryu karate, I wondered if he’d taken leave of his senses making such public and bold statement with permanent body art!

I don’t recall seeing him at subsequent training camps and I sometimes wonder if he still practises…
Honestly, that sounds more like an issue with body modification than with martial arts.

Hanshi

Blue Belt
Reaction score
I used to train at least 6 days a week and also teach; It was in the evening, of course, before I returned home. Some called me a bit obsessive about training. So if anyone can say for sure whether or not it's addictive, that would be me. So here it is: NO, martial arts are not addictive in any way, shape or form. :cool:

Latest Discussions