How to keep being motivate

RB1

White Belt
Reaction score
So since my class opened again, I started again to train. but a thing has changed. before corona i never missed a class. but now, i can miss a class once or 2 a week. after i miss, i feel bad for a while and tell myself to never do that again. but i do it again. I dont know how to control myself.
give me some advice pls

skribs

Grandmaster
Reaction score
How often is class? Missing one or two out of five isn't as bad as missing one or two out of two.

There are a couple of different ways you can approach this.
  1. If you're not enjoying it, try a different art.
  2. Set a minimum and ideal goal. For example, a minimum of twice a week, and an ideal of making every class. At least that way you won't go once a week.
  3. Create accountability. Have someone in your class push you to show up more.

Reactions: RB1

isshinryuronin

Master of Arts
Reaction score
So since my class opened again, I started again to train. but a thing has changed. before corona i never missed a class. but now, i can miss a class once or 2 a week. after i miss, i feel bad for a while and tell myself to never do that again. but i do it again. I dont know how to control myself.
give me some advice pls
I have experienced this kind of thing, as many others have, I'm sure. In my recent case, it's weight training at the gym and studying Japanese at home. I was doing these on a regular basis. Then, for whatever reason, the rhythm was broken into increasingly sporadic sessions.

Loss of momentum was key for me. That led to loss of motivation. Then, loss of self-discipline. It's easy to have good balance, but very hard to regain that balance once it is lost. As for your question, I don't have an answer other than being hard on yourself and get that discipline back, and remind yourself why the activity was important to you in the first place; the rest will follow. I'm still working on it, but not forcing the issue. If it comes or not, it was meant to be for now.

Holmejr

Black Belt
Reaction score
“Loss of momentum” is a good observation.
Covid and the “loss of momentum” is a story I hear and see often. Friendships that lost their momentum, passions that lost their momentum. Life that has lost it’s momentum. There are many many people that are trying to find their directions again. Depression and suicide is at all time highs. If this is you, which I hope it’s not! then it’s time to find assistance. If it’s not you, then it’s time to light a fire to your passion. My previous GM was a Christian man. He took Jesus at his word when he said that you must have faith like a child. Not childish, but childlike. He died at 92. I already had believed in his same God, but he helped show me the childlike wonder of learning new things or even seeing old things in a new perspective. Maybe you need to see your “passion” with a childlike wonder again. I am 66 years old, soon to be 67. In the art that I participate in, Eskrido de Alcuizar I grow with every class.
My $.02

Instructor

Master of Arts
Supporting Member
Reaction score
give me some advice pls
Martial arts is a lifelong endeavor, you will have periods of high productivity and periods of low productivity. Just train, the thing will take care of itself.

AIKIKENJITSU

Green Belt
Reaction score
give me some advice pls
I studied three martial arts, one at a time and not studying another till I was finished.
As for class, you're being too severe on yourself. If you go to only one class a week, great, that is what you want. The point is, you can practice what you learned at home. If you can't practice at home, then maybe martial arts training isn't for you.?
Sifu
Puyallup, WA

Kung Fu Wang

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
i feel bad for a while and tell myself to never do that again. but i do it again. I dont know how to control myself.
give me some advice pls
You train MA either

- to develop something, or
- to maintain something.

You first have to find out what that "something" is.