Can women really tell?

Chifuka-ryu

White Belt
Reaction score
I have heard that women can tell cheap clothing from expensive ones. To me, it is really hard to tell unless it is really shoddy work.

Is this really true? Is it something that men have a problem with? What are the possible reasons?

dancingalone

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Of course they can if they are sufficiently knowledgeable about clothing. Frankly, it's not that hard if you know what you are looking for. I am a man and having worn suits for work for all my life, I can tell the difference between a suit off-the-rack and a bespoke (custom-tailored) suit. The fit is invariably better with the latter and an experienced tailor can make certain adjustments to make the appearance better if someone is a little heavy or skinny or overly tall, etc.

thardey

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
But can you tell the difference between different brands of off-the-rack suits, like most of us mere mortals can afford?

(Tailored, at least, not bespoke.)

As for shirts, certain brands fit me better than others, Alfani, and Van Heusen seen "cut" for me -- the neck, sleeves, and the taper in the body are just right.

I think the right fit is really the key -- not the double-stitching.

dancingalone

Grandmaster
Reaction score
But can you tell the difference between different brands of off-the-rack suits, like most of us mere mortals can afford?

(Tailored, at least, not bespoke.)

As for shirts, certain brands fit me better than others, Alfani, and Van Heusen seen "cut" for me -- the neck, sleeves, and the taper in the body are just right.

I think the right fit is really the key -- not the double-stitching.

On a general level I can. I can separate the better suits from the $300 Men's Warehouse ones. (not that I am saying anything bad about MW - sometimes they offer great deals on good OTR suits)

With suits, the adage 'you get what you pay for' is true most of the time. There is nothing wrong with buying a more inexpensive suit if that is all you need, perhaps for a few special occasions a year. On the other hand, if you're in banking or the law, two fields where workers are expected to dress well, you should be prepared for the fact that most everyone can tell in one look whether you're dressing to the expected level of the firm or not. Sounds rough, but that's the way it is.

harlan

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
Like others mention, it depends on one's experience. If you think about it, in many places women have been the ones that shop for the family's clothing needs. Experience with brand names, retailers, etc. After awhile, you just learn that a pair of 'OshKosh' pants are going to last through several toddlers, while a 'White Stag' shirt for women (a Walmart brand) is going to shrink in the first wash. And any person that has sewn clothing will definitely have an appreciation for stitching, style and an eye for cloth quality. I mean, the instant I saw an Armani wool overcoat on my boss I knew it was 'quality'.

I have heard that women can tell cheap clothing from expensive ones. To me, it is really hard to tell unless it is really shoddy work.

Is this really true? Is it something that men have a problem with? What are the possible reasons?

teekin

3rd Black Belt
Reaction score
Yep, most of us can. If we have worked in ther garment industry then we know fabrics, fit, construction and style as well. Women never forget when we spend money on clothes and they shrink or fall apart or the dye bleeds. Nor do we forget a pair a jeans that conforms to our figure and lasts till our panties are showing through. Or what works on our man and he loves)
Good clothes cost more money as the fabrics cost more, ( are often higher thread count and threads have better finish) have a better cut, are better contructed and have better finish to them. They will feel better, retain their color and shape longer and will will last longer. The also often fit better and just hang better as well.
This is easy to spot and if you can feel the garment easier to confirm.

Lori

David43515

Master Black Belt
Reaction score

Check out this book if you get the chance. The author dresses some of the top stars in Hollywood for thier movie roles and some of the top world leaders as well. It made a huge difference for me as far as finding out how to pick the right styles and colors that look best on me and how to tell a good suit from a great suit for the same price.

http://www.amazon.com/Dressing-Man-...=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1274408211&sr=8-1

Carol

Crazy like a...
MT Mentor
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I don't think its the price tag of the clothes that catches our eye, to be honest.

As someone that has interviewed many people for jobs, I can immediately tell the guy who walks through the door that is wearing a suit....and hasn't worn one since the last time he went on an interview. Male interviewers can recognize this too. Its not a woman thing, or a fashion thing. Poise and confidence speak louder than anything else.

Nor is this limited to how men dress. If you take a look at the people around you, and look at their dress, their demeanor, their temperment, their personality, I think that you will find that many people that care about what others think of them dress in decent clothes, mind their personal appearance, and pay attention to what other people think and do, do so out of habit.

The poise, posture, and confidence of another person is what catches our eye. It doesn't matter whether the admirers are male or female, nor does it matter if the people being admired are male or female. Human nature.

Take a distinguished gentleman and put him in tasteful clothing from the sale rack at JC Penny, he will still come across as distinguished.

Take a chump, and put him in a luxurious designer suit, he'll still come across as uncomfortable in his own skin.

Take a chump that decides to start coming across to others as a confident person....that builds better habits, and with time and effort, everyone will notice.

Majd

White Belt
Reaction score
I always let my wife to the shopping. She knows my style and I'm happy with what I get.
The situation with my mom and father is the same. My mom done the shopping for me and my father because she worked in a clothes shop. ;)

Spartigus

White Belt
Reaction score
My mom and/or current girlfriend help me pick out cloths lol, otherwise it ends up being a disaster lol.

I was out with this girl, and she loved my $10 tshirt :p, but she is like a hardcore runner.

MBuzzy

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Kind of embarrassed to say this, but after living in Korea for a year, I can tell the difference between a real and a knock off purse pretty easily.

Bruno@MT

Senior Master
Reaction score
I used to always buy cheap clothes on the assumption that there was no difference except brand name. After I got into a relationship with the woman who'd become my wife, we started to go shopping together and she'd educate me :)

I have to admit that as soon as I started buying more expensive clothes, I started appreciating the differences.

That said, just because it is ridiculously expensive doesn't mean it is better quality than the 'regular' expensive clothes. I never understood why one would pay over 700 euros for a torn pair of jeans.

Latest Discussions