Can someone give me some info

M

Mongo

Hi there,
I just moved from to a city called New Bedford. I was looking to get into some martial arts and a freind of mine suggested a school here. It is run by a man named Steve Arsenault, (I think that's how you spell it). Does anyone have any info about him or his school? Thanks.

OP
M

Mongo

His business card says he's a 7th degree black belt.He's also affiliated with the WKKA? If that helps:confused:

tarabos

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
i know of steve arsenault and i have seen him move and i have seen his students move. while i am not affiliated with the wkka, my instructor is one of the top black belts on their board (yeah...i know that sounds a bit weird, but i'm not big on associations...especially the wkka). you can PM me if you would like to know any infromation i have on him, but keep in mind that it will be second hand information. reliable information, but second hand nonetheless.

OP
M

Mongo

I tried to PM you but your box is full. Is there anyone else out there heard of this guy(Arsenault) ?

:confused:

OP
M

Mongo

I read your bio just now, where in New Bedford are you from. I just moved here. Would you happen to know anything about Mr. Arsenault? Do you train with him?:asian:

OP
R

Rob_Broad

Mr. Arsenault is a good guy and you could do a lot worse than having him as an instructor.

OP
M

Mongo

Thank you Mr. Broad:asian:

I think his students were good. They looked really flashy though.:confused: Are they all like that? I have only seen Kenpo in the movie The PErfect Weapon and it didn't look like the movie at all, it was like super sized fast!

tarabos

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
Originally posted by Mongo
I tried to PM you but your box is full. Is there anyone else out there heard of this guy(Arsenault) ?

:confused:

i think that message was for me...i cleaned up my inbox...thanks for letting me know.

OP
K

Kenpo Wolf

Thank you Mr. Broad:asian:

I think his students were good. They looked really flashy though.:confused: Are they all like that? I have only seen Kenpo in the movie The PErfect Weapon and it didn't look like the movie at all, it was like super sized fast!

Most Kenpo Stylists are flashy with superb hand speed. Although PW was a good movie, the few actual techniques that was shown in it was slowed down for the camera to get all the action and to make it more 'realistic' for the Non-Kenpo audience . Don't be intimidated by the students. The flashiness comes with flow, which you'll pick up in time. Join the school and have fun :)

kenpo3631

Black Belt
Reaction score
Mongo,
I can give a little info on Mr. Arsenault. I have known him since 1986. I was his first Kenpo student:eek: He was just a 2nd degree brown belt at the time. I won't go into my history with Mr. Arsenault, however I can say he is a sharp guy, and he has his ducks in a row. If you like what you see go for it, I will tell you what I tell all my students, shop around, take notes and compare, if you find something else that suits you better go for it.
If not sign up and have fun.:asian:

KENPOJOE

Brown Belt
Reaction score
I read your bio just now, where in New Bedford are you from. I just moved here. Would you happen to know anything about Mr. Arsenault? Do you train with him?:asian:

Dear "Mongo"
I do teach in New Bedford! We are in the process of relocating our studio but I teach privately in the interum. I have known Steve Arsenault for many years and He was a student of my original American Kenpo instructor, Mr. Leo Lacerte, who was the first person who contacted Mr. Parker in the early 1980's when Mr. Parker was expanding into New England. Mr. Lecerte and Myself opened the "American Kenpo Karate Studio" in 1984. I have been involved in Mr. Parker's system for 20 years and my studio is a member of the IKKA. You can check out my studio website at
http://members.aol.com/REBELOSKENPO/
and for more on myself check out my personal website at
http://members.aol.com/KENPOJOE/
Thank you for your time and interest,
Joseph P. Rebelo II
KENPOJOE

OP
M

Mongo

Originally posted by KENPOJOE
Dear "Mongo"
I do teach in New Bedford! We are in the process of relocating our studio but I teach privately in the interum. I have known Steve Arsenault for many years and He was a student of my original American Kenpo instructor, Mr. Leo Lacerte, who was the first person who contacted Mr. Parker in the early 1980's when Mr. Parker was expanding into New England. Mr. Lecerte and Myself opened the "American Kenpo Karate Studio" in 1984. I have been involved in Mr. Parker's system for 20 years and my studio is a member of the IKKA. You can check out my studio website at
http://members.aol.com/REBELOSKENPO/
and for more on myself check out my personal website at
http://members.aol.com/KENPOJOE/
Thank you for your time and interest,
Joseph P. Rebelo II
KENPOJOE

I thank you for your information. I guess what I am looking for is if anyone has an opinion on Mr. Arsenault's abilities.

The class I saw was taught by one of his students. I have gone back and watched another class and again it was a student who was teaching. I figured Mr. Arsenault was a busy man (his school is really busy) and he didn't have time to teach, I just wanted to know if anyone knew him well enough and could explain to me why this may be so.

:asian:

kenpo3631

Black Belt
Reaction score
If you really want to check his credentials, I would suggest finding someone who has stopped training at the studio and ask them why they stopped, which it looks like you might be trying to do over this forum.

Or...

You can go to the WKKA Website and email Mr. Palanzo.

There are other forums that you can post to as well like The Kenpo Net , many of the members here post there also so I don't know what kind of response you will get. Good luck:asian:

KENPOJOE

Brown Belt
Reaction score
I thank you for your information. I guess what I am looking for is if anyone has an opinion on Mr. Arsenault's abilities.

The class I saw was taught by one of his students. I have gone back and watched another class and again it was a student who was teaching. I figured Mr. Arsenault was a busy man (his school is really busy) and he didn't have time to teach, I just wanted to know if anyone knew him well enough and could explain to me why this may be so.

:asian:
Hello "mongo",
As a Kenpo Instructor in the New Bedford area as well and one of Mr. Arsenault's competitors, I do not feel that it would be prudent to speak of Mr. Arsenault abilities,teaching methods, and or Class structure in a public forum.
However, I will attest to the following facts regarding our curriculum:
I am the main instructor of all my classes and I focus on personalized private instruction.
I teach the complete Ed Parker American Kenpo Karate Curriculum as listed in "infinite Insights into Kenpo" and more!
My Studio is a IKKA affiliated studio and has been since 1984.
By focusing on private instruction, you gain the direct knowledge of an advanced instructor that will directly enhance your training.
I hope that I was of some service,
Joseph P. Rebelo II
KENPOJOE

OP
R

Rob_Broad

Mongo you are very fortunate to have 2 very fine instructors in your area to chose from. Mr. Rebello and Mr. Arsenault are both fine people and take care of. You will be very happy with either of them.

OP
A

ArnoldLee

I would highly recommend Joe Rebelo as an instructor. I have known him for over a decade and have had occasion to train with him many times. You will find few people who love the art like he does and is willing to share his knowledge with you (as well as some pretty good Mr. Parker stories as well).

BTW Joe is being modest in his reply, he has extensive training in numerous martial arts and lots of experience as well. I wouldn't hesitate to put my back up to his in a fight. Add to this his being an articulate instructor and a very honorable person.

Now I have met Steve Arsenault at a WKKA camp and had a chance to watch him move. I have no opinion on his abilities as an instructor simply because I had little chance to see his students perform or had a chance to really pick his mind, however he himself seems to be a very talented individual.

You might want to try some instruction from both parties and then make a decision but don't pass up a chance to meet and at least talk with Joe.

kenpo3631

Black Belt
Reaction score
Originally posted by Rob_Broad
Mongo you are very fortunate to have 2 very fine instructors in your area to chose from. Mr. Rebello and Mr. Arsenault are both fine people and take care of. You will be very happy with either of them.

Yeah there is me too, Lance Soares. I am currently in Bosnia right now with my National Guard unit. I too teach privately for now the last 5 years, prior to that I owned and operated a commercial school for 8 years. I have been at the art of Kenpo for 17 years now, not to take anything away from Joe or Steve. Heck, Joe remebers me when I was a white belt and I was Steve's first Kenpo student! :D. We all came from the same Blood Line, Leo Lacerte, also of New Bedford. :soapbox:

Sorry Rob, had to include the whole New Bedford Kenpo Clan...:D :asian:

OP
M

Mongo

Thanks everyone for the insights. New Bedford seems to more Kenpo people than you can shake a stick at. Kenpo3631, you mentioned "blood line", what is that? Is it like some sort of heritage thing or something? Also would you know if Lacerte still teaches?

Latest Discussions