Can people with tattoos do koryu?

Saitama Steve

Blue Belt
Reaction score
Chelsea, London, UK/Souka-shi, Saitama Ken, JPN
Gasp!!!
You know better than to mention those in public Steve! Now you must commit seppuku!

Alternatively, you could eliminate 10 YouTube backyard ninjers and regain your respectability and honor! :)

Three requirements:

1. Names
2. Places
3. Dates

With these three, joi-uchi will be executed. :mst: (And that's really how I look in the mornings!)

pgsmith

Master of Arts
Reaction score
Usually something from anime, preferrably subtitled rather than dubbed.
2. Places
Parent's backyards, even the ones that are obviously in their thirties!
They've never had one, which is why they are playing out their fantasies in their parent's backyard.
(And that's really how I look in the mornings!)
Then you definitely need stronger coffee or less beer. On second thought, just stronger coffee. :D

Saitama Steve

Blue Belt
Reaction score
Usually something from anime, preferrably subtitled rather than dubbed.

Parent's backyards, even the ones that are obviously in their thirties!

They've never had one, which is why they are playing out their fantasies in their parent's backyard.

Then you definitely need stronger coffee or less beer. On second thought, just stronger coffee. :D

Very well, more coffee and then I shall endeavor to complete the "kenjutsu walter mitty cleanout".

Longzhua

White Belt
Reaction score
Will they take a student with tattoos?

Hahahahahahahhahahahhaha............

Sukerkin

Have the courage to speak softly
MT Mentor
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Quite.

I second your "Huh?".

Then again, whilst we're in questioning mood, what does "Dragon Style, long time" mean (Longzhua)?

OP
K

kuoshu

White Belt
Reaction score
Well let us just hold our horses as we do not know if Mr. Skoss said anything of the sort.

Brian, I sincerely I hope you're not insinuating that I'm lying. Because it sounds an awful lot like that's what you're saying.

Hopefully the subsequent posts on this thread have shown that I wasn't lying. However, the apology hasn't appeared yet.

But if you still don't believe me, check out Dave Lowry's book "Traditions". He discusses the whole incident in a chapter called "A dash of Yellow Eba".

(Of course, you could claim that I wrote the book Traditions and falsely put Dave Lowry's name on it.)

Kacey

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Well let us just hold our horses as we do not know if Mr. Skoss said anything of the sort. Hopefully Koushu can provide us with a link to where Mr. Skoss said this.

Brian, I sincerely I hope you're not insinuating that I'm lying. Because it sounds an awful lot like that's what you're saying.

Hopefully the subsequent posts on this thread have shown that I wasn't lying. However, the apology hasn't appeared yet.

But if you still don't believe me, check out Dave Lowry's book "Traditions". He discusses the whole incident in a chapter called "A dash of Yellow Eba".

(Of course, you could claim that I wrote the book Traditions and falsely put Dave Lowry's name on it.)

Having looked at Brian's entire post, I see nothing he needs to apologize for; nor do I see anything that would either substantiate or disprove your claim, except reference to a book which Brian may or may not have access to at this time. If, however, you feel that Brian's actions were in any way inappropriate, please use the RTM button (small red and white triangle at the upper right of all posts) to report him to the moderation staff.

Saitama Steve

Blue Belt
Reaction score

The thread and all subsequent posts as I remember were erased after e-budo was hacked a number of years ago.

I do remember the thread, even though it was a long time ago and I do remember Mr. Skoss getting some stick for airing his views. However, they weren't just his views, they were the views of his seniors and teachers in the various gendai budo and koryu bujutsu schools he studied with.

However, I stated this on a previous post on this very thread.

Brian's post really isn't insinuating anything about you lying, it's just the thread doesn't exist in cyberspace anymore.

Brian R. VanCise

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score

Wow is all I can really say! :idunno: I think you read to much into what people type on the internet. What I did say if you read my posts was that hold on for a minute because it would be good to have a link to what Mr. Skoss posted. I would hate to attribute something to someone when they may or may not have posted it. There was no accusation made to you in any way as you may have actually seen the post or misinterpreted it. (I and everyone else has no way to know) If the post was still in existence it would be nice to take a look at it in my opinion. As to my insinuating anything I really did not. No worries and no foul!
icon6.gif

Now as to Tattoos in Koryu well I think it is pretty clear that possibly some Koryu do not want people who have tattoos and that is within their right as a private group. Whether it is right or wrong is up to them and the people that will judge them for their actions. I imagine that some Koryu instructors are taking people with tattoos as well.

It is nice that we have Saitama Steve and pgsmith who are closer to this and have had some good posts regarding this subject.
icon14.gif

kiaiki

White Belt
Reaction score
As a newbie to these threads I'm just dipping in.

This one raises the old question - why do people with tattoos never verbally assault those without them and demand to know why?

Maybe we should ban all those without tattoos from koryu as they clearly lack the moral fibre to get one and have no understanding of pain from needle pricks.

Sounds like the original ban was maybe one prick too many in the club. :)

Saitama Steve

Blue Belt
Reaction score
As a newbie to these threads I'm just dipping in.

This one raises the old question - why do people with tattoos never verbally assault those without them and demand to know why?

Maybe we should ban all those without tattoos from koryu as they clearly lack the moral fibre to get one and have no understanding of pain from needle pricks.

Sounds like the original ban was maybe one prick too many in the club. :)

Dear lord, this thread has gone from silly to sillier in one single bound. Switch to decaff.

SageGhost83

Brown Belt
Reaction score
In keeping with the spirit of this thread, :erg::sadsong::cuss::flushed::confused::fart::angry::p:eek:verkill::matrix::idunno:. Oh, and WIBBLE (Blackadder, it is now officially a classic word on MT!)

Logan

Green Belt
Reaction score
Bizarre. I thought the conclusion to this thread was straightforward done and dusted....