Can participation in Internet Forums help someone grow as a Martial Artist?

Makalakumu

Gonzo Karate Apocalypse
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Can participation in internet forums help someone grow as a martial artist? If so, how? If not, why?

Gemini

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I think so. One concern I had from not being a "worldly" practitioner was how my school compared to others. How do we think? What are we taught? What's our training like in comparison? Our mantality? What are other arts like?

These are just a few questions that I had before I came here, and I enjoy the different points of view and experiences others have to offer. It also gives me access to individuals who enjoy discussing the same things I do. The arts.

Xue Sheng

All weight is underside
Reaction score
I am surprised to say yes it helps. I did not think it would when I came to MT but happily I was wrong.

It helped me, after 30 years of MA, to make a decision about the direction of my training. Just by reading posts, asking questions and have discussions about martial arts I do feel it has helped.

I am not sure how my involvement in many of the Study posts helped, basically I think they were either a source of entertainment, outrage or a little of both.

But the posts I read made and questions I asked in the specific Martial arts areas certainly did. There are many people out there with more, better or just different training than I have and a different point of view generally helps.

I have also discovered, to quote BB King “My fingers is stupid” thank god or spell check

chinto01

Black Belt
Reaction score
I believe people can grow from participation on internet forums. I come here and find answers to some of my questions. Every little bit helps. We can alll grow from eachother if we allow ourselves to.

In the spirit of bushido!

Rob

spinkick

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
It depends on what you do with the knowledge you gain.. Basically I use the forums and what not to pick up training tips that i try out and sometimes add into my regiment. Sitting here talking all the time may help you to understand philosiphies but unless you get up and do it you won't really get better.

HKphooey

Senior Master
Reaction score
Great question! I think so. I have learned a lot about the history of different arts. I like to read how others handle similar situations. I think one needs to keep an open mind and be respectiful of other people's opinions. I especially like to hear about other instructors' training methods. I have also made some great friends.

stone_dragone

Senior Master
MT Mentor
Reaction score
I am suprised how much conversations, reading posts and even participating in polls have helped my uderstanding. Even the act of expressing my thoughts on particular topics in print has allowed me to solidify once nebulous ideas into presentable points.

I think that as people, not even just MAists, you benefit from any cognative interaction with like (and different) minded individuals. The forums are very much like a 24 hour class room in which learning is done by participation and discussion. We, of course, can't hit each other while online but we can learn from eachother none the less.

I love this place!

beau_safken

Black Belt
Reaction score
Im gonna say yes...and no....

Yes: Because you get to think of new ideas and new methods but its all in your head.

No: Only thing you can do is be a armchair samurai unless you actually do what you type.

Ping898

Senior Master
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
I think it can. Not only does it allow you the opportunity to learn what else is out there, but it gives you the opportunity to question what you've been taught. Not necessarily the technique so much as the mentality. Look at some of the threads of people asking does it make sense that we don't spar until X belt or my instructor doesn't want us to compete in tournaments, they all allow us to get other POV. I will say I didn't find MT until about 6 years after I started training and it never occurred to me that there could be anyway to run a school without yearly contracts or that McDojo's existed or that there were offshoots of EPAK out there.

I will say from a personal stand point that this forum has helped me choose what arts I wish to cross train in, which arts will best compliment the knowledge I already have. For that alone, all the time I have spent on MT has made it worth it.

IcemanSK

El Conquistador nim!
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I think it can, if you're open minded to other's opinions. I've learned a great deal from others by asking questions & reading other's thoughts. Like Gemini, I want to see what's out there beyond my experience & my school's walls. It would take a lot of digging, travel, phone calls, etc. to get the info I've gained on MT.

I've learned a lot. Thank you, all!

stickarts

Senior Master
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I think so. It has given me some insight into some other arts, others opinions, history behind some katas and techniques, and put me in touch with people from many different backrounds.
I learned from it.

OP
Makalakumu

Makalakumu

Gonzo Karate Apocalypse
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Thus far, I agree with all of the opinions stated. In the old days, our circles were so small in regards to anything, including martial arts. The interenet has made it cheap and easy to talk to authorities that I never would have previously had access too. This, IMHO, has resulted in an overall increase in the dissemination of quality information.

Flying Crane

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
it opens your eyes and broadens your horizon, both within your own art, and regarding other arts. I think it can be helpful. Not always, not everything, but overall, yes.

Fluffy

Black Belt
Reaction score
HKphooey said:
Great question! I think so. I have learned a lot about the history of different arts. I like to read how others handle similar situations. I think one needs to keep an open mind and be respectiful of other people's opinions. I especially like to hear about other instructors' training methods. I have also made some great friends.

That's it. Networking is very immportant - also they remind me that TKD isn't the only MA out there.

Cirdan

Senior Master
Reaction score
It can certanly help you, broaden your horizon and point you in the right directions. However not all forums are as free of ******** as this one. And there is no replacing the sweat and effort you put in at your Dojo.

pstarr

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Yes, it's always nice to get the perspectives of other practicing martial artists as well as their support. But time in the training hall is a must. Nothing replaces the sweat and high-quality instruction.

still learning

Senior Master
Reaction score
Hello, Can someone grow better from participation in the internet forums..?

The answer is simple...off course! ..Here you can ask any questions...seek knowledge of the many different arts..see videos...a library is available..

If one does not seek more information...one is limiting themselves...The internet has open many doors to informations/souces of knowledge..

Anytime you can learn something new...no matter the source...you gain..one more step in your learning!

PS: If the situtions ever raise....and you are able to pinch or rip the skin on the eye lids with your thumb and forefinger...this really hurts alot.

2. try this...ripping the cheek skin...if the sitution presents itself...stick your thumb or fingers into the mouth..in front of the teeth...rip the cheek skin outwards....try this on yourself.....hurts HUH! ...imagine if someone pull real hard! ....Yes the mouth is a dirty area...good to fight dirty...Aloha

Brandon Fisher

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Yes I think it does. Friendly informative discussion encourages growth and knowledge.

painstain

Green Belt
Reaction score
so far its been what i expect. you say one thing the members don't like, they shun you, they wish bad things upon you.

with respect,
painstain

Latest Discussions