Can Kenpoists achieve "Mushin" aka the state of "mind of no mind"?

Can Kenpoists achieve "Mushin" aka the state of "mind of no mind"

• Definitely! I have achieved this and use it regularly in training and self-defense.

• Probably. I have seen others achieve this, or I believe it can be done.

• Probably not. I'm skeptical. I don't really think this is believable.

• No way! This is just mindless nonsense!

Results are only viewable after voting.

mj-hi-yah

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Kembudo-Kai Kempoka said:
I personally believe it's always there...the ability to tap in to it is refined through various activities, some meditative, some rigorous.
But...how do you know? Just kidding ... I think that is a great way to look at it!
Lady-lift-car thing is kinduva urban legend, but works well to illustrate a point. I (and again, only my opinion) personally believe that all exceptional moments entail glimpses of spirit poking through the veil.
Since I honestly can't remember the source, I'm sure you are right, but I did witness my mom (a very petite woman) lifting a tall, heavy dresser off of my sister when we were children and the rest of us were all like, "Woah!" It was amazing!

I tend to run with the transcendant piece, myself...a non-drug-induced glimpse into the true nature of Self as spirit, and an introduction to the "peace that transcends all understanding".
:asian:

MJ :asian:

Ceicei

Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
I did achieve it once while in an archery competition. I remember standing there, not really thinking any of thoughts, just focused upon the target. Everything - all distractions - were tuned out. I felt completely calm and relaxed. The next thing I knew, I had hit the bulls eye, and continued to do the same thing with the next five arrows, all hitting bulls eye. It was as if I physically and mentally knew exactly what and how to do without thinking, without concentrating on the details. Observers told me I had been very smooth in how I took the arrows out of the quiver, and drawing the bow with barely a pause. One said that it looked like I was timing it all with my breathing. I have never been able to duplicate that moment with archery again. I do know that I didn't get to that point without extensive practice prior to the competition.

Now, if I can somehow duplicate that kind of focus with kenpo...

- Ceicei

BlackCatBonz

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Ceicei said:
I did achieve it once while in an archery competition. I remember standing there, not really thinking any of thoughts, just focused upon the target. Everything - all distractions - were tuned out. I felt completely calm and relaxed. The next thing I knew, I had hit the bulls eye, and continued to do the same thing with the next five arrows, all hitting bulls eye. It was as if I physically and mentally knew exactly what and how to do without thinking, without concentrating on the details. Observers told me I had been very smooth in how I took the arrows out of the quiver, and drawing the bow with barely a pause. One said that it looked like I was timing it all with my breathing. I have never been able to duplicate that moment with archery again. I do know that I didn't get to that point without extensive practice prior to the competition.

Now, if I can somehow duplicate that kind of focus with kenpo...

- Ceicei

my question to you is.....did you try to duplicate that moment?

Ceicei

Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
BlackCatBonz said:
my question to you is.....did you try to duplicate that moment?

Other than archery?

I am constantly working on it. It will come when I achieve a level of confidence, mental discipline, and physical mastery. I know I will reach that. It does not mean I have to be the world's best, it just means putting in the necessary training to increase the frequency of "mushin".

- Ceicei

eyebeams

Purple Belt
Reaction score
Ryukai kenpo's base is in Mikkyo as well as Zen. There is zen meditation, but many of the meditations are actually specific visualizations. The goal of this is to integrate the benefits of visualization into one's subconscious mind instead of having to waste time thinking about them when actually acting.

bushidomartialarts

Senior Master
Reaction score
'regullarly' is pushing it, but it's a beautiful thing when it happens.

everybody can achieve it. many of us do so watching a movie: we're so into it that our mind and associated commentary shut up and we simply experience the moment. no future, no judgment, no past. just the now.

that's mushin. which is why those *&#(*$ers with their cel phones can really wreck the moment: they bring us back into our minds.

fuhok

White Belt
Reaction score
I achieved the sate of on mind only once. It was during the finals of a fencing tournament. In the finals it was 5 touches to win a bout, best two out of thee bouts wins and you must win each encounter by two touches. In the first bout I was loosing 4 to 0 but came back to win 6 to 4. The second bout it was the same thing; I was loosing 4 to 0 and came back to win 6 to 4. The matches lasted about 15 min each and I don’t remember the crowd, my coach or the touches. I just remember the last touch that sealed my first place. It was a strange experience.

Latest Discussions