can anyone surpass bruce lee in jkd?

mjw1

White Belt
Reaction score
I'm not trying to be disrespectful but it seems like in jkd nobody can ever surpass bruce Lee?

drop bear

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
Wasn't jkd an evolving system? I mean if nobody ever surpasses its creator then it has kind of failed.

Blindside

Grandmaster
Founding Member
Reaction score
He died 42 years ago, at this point the only thing you are competing with is the memories of some really senior instructors and what people see in the movies. Good luck with that.

Buka

Sr. Grandmaster
Staff member
MT Mentor
Reaction score
My guess is, many already have. So much more is known today than was known in 1973. Knowledge, training methods, availability, training partners.

And such a large part of JKD was designed for/on adaptability.

My guess is Bruce is smiling.

Mephisto

Black Belt
Reaction score
Well first you'll have to give some measurable benchmarks and evaluate if anyone has surpassed them. Seeing as how a lot of what Bruce did was entertainment and demos, individual characteristics like charisma were a big part of his success. I'm sure we have information on his workouts and physical achievements so that is one way to compare. We could look at his net worth and compare him as a martial arts actor and entrepreneur. But his fighting ability is what most people assume made him great, that is more difficult to measure and compare. For that we must rely on anecdotal evidence so i don't see a way to compare that.

Touch Of Death

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
No. But, create your own style that no one can ever surpass, star in a few movies, and oh, one more thing, die young and tragically, and you might just surpass Bruce Lee. :)

tshadowchaser

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Founding Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
If it where not for the movies and the bad publicity he got for some of his antics in China on television how much would people even know of him or his "system"?
He had few students, never competed in tournaments, and was known for his demos not for much else till after his death. OH I forgot he wrote a couple books ( did he write the books or where complied by someone else but his thoughts anyway)
So can anyone surpass him in the system he created? No he created it so it is impossible to outdo that. Can anyone add more to the system, give new light to how to do techniques or improve the physical training YES.

Thunder Foot

Brown Belt
Reaction score
I think it will be awhile before that happens. Even now 40+yrs after his passing, we are still finding new brilliance in his methods. He was truly remarkable.

D

Deleted member 32980

I'm not trying to be disrespectful but it seems like in jkd nobody can ever surpass bruce Lee?

You can't. It's impossible. He created it. And died with the trueness. BUT he passed it on through his writing and you CAN be great at it. You may never master it. What many people don't realize is that Jkd is a STEPPING STONE. Remember that. You can't surpass him cause he created it.

Cirdan

Senior Master
Reaction score
You can't. It's impossible. He created it. And died with the trueness. BUT he passed it on through his writing and you CAN be great at it. You may never master it. What many people don't realize is that Jkd is a STEPPING STONE. Remember that. You can't surpass him cause he created it.

How come we can surpass Ug the caveman who was the first one to punch someone?

D

Deleted member 32980

That had no style, form or anything to do with or close to, Jkd. That was more of a mechanical moment, not much more.

D

Deleted member 32980

Ug created the punch, don`t try to discredit him that is disrespectful you know :D
Lol I don't think that's possible. Since he wouldn't be able to read. Anyways, you get my point?