Camera Buying Advice Needed

AceHBK

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Hey everyone...

Ok I have never owned a digital camera (yes I know how in the world did I make it so long without one). Everyone else has one so I never saw the need for one myself but I have finally decided to splurge and purchase one. I have no idea of what I will take pictures of but I will use it nonetheless.
I was considering the camera below. I have been on CNET, amazon, dpreview.com and other sites to help narrow down my choices. I am trying to stay under $400 so if you can suggest a better camera please do so. I like to have options before I make a decision. I have been on ebay a lot as well since you can find some decent prices as well.

Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ28

Thanks

Blindside

Grandmaster
Founding Member
Reaction score
I would suggest figuring out what you are going to be using the camera for before purchasing. The camera requirements to take sports photography is pretty different than a pocket camera for an evening with friends.

Bill Mattocks

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I would suggest figuring out what you are going to be using the camera for before purchasing. The camera requirements to take sports photography is pretty different than a pocket camera for an evening with friends.

Good advice. Here's a website that reviews digital cameras and attempts to answer the eternal question - which camera is 'best'?

http://www.steves-digicams.com/best-cameras.html

OP
AceHBK

AceHBK

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
I will say that I won't be taking any sport pictures...well take that back. When I go to NBA basketball games I will take some pictures. Other than that I will take just general pictures like when I am on vacation or something.

Carol

Crazy like a...
MT Mentor
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Hey Ace,

Last year I picked up a $300-350 digital camera. I forget the exact make. It either got lost or stolen last December.

I replaced the camera this summer, with a Canon G10. It was I think 499 at Best Buy, you may be able to find it for a few dollars less online. I see a big difference in the quality of the picture.

I hate to recommend something that is out of a person's budget. The G10 was a bit out of mine as well, but now that I've had a chance to work with it I'm glad I splurged for it instead of buying another one like the one that was stolen.

Jimi

Black Belt
Reaction score
I do not know a great deal about camera specs, but like others pointed out, what are you using the camera for? This woukld be key. Capturing stills of action, comptition. Video footage ? etc...

If you want a camera for stills be sure to get a camera that has a sports/action setting. Some digital cameras also have a video function for action filming but may not be the best for filming the specifics of forms or sparring.

If you want to get a digital camera for filming video, be sure to look into if it has the still frame function or not. This helps to steady the frame if it is hand held as to minimize the shakes so to speak.
My JKD Instructor hosted Dan Inosanto over a decade ago and had one of these cameras as they first came out. His mistake was that he set the camera to stll frame settings then used a tripod which held the camera steady and the still frame function caused it to bounce alittle. Poor footage was produced. LOL

Look into what you will primarily use the camera for. I believe that resource Bill set up is likely to be a good bet for finding what will best serve you. Best of luck and good filming to ya. PEACE JIMI