Thanks to Bill Mattocks, I still have my camera, my tripod, and my sanity :D

Carol

Crazy like a...
MT Mentor
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
My fixation with shooting waterfalls has meant that for many of the shots I would like to take, only a tripod will do. In some cases I can get away with holding the camera against a bridge railing, a rock, or even my backpack. In others, only a tripod will do.

Last year I decided to invest a new tripod to the tune of $450 and change. I recall mentioning my new tripod to Bill Mattocks and I think he said something akin to how he doesn't usually shoot with a fancy tripod. The cost factor in mine is due to its size and weight...it is carbon fiber, and of a design that can collapse down to a size that can either be fit in to or lashed on to a backpack. Bill gave me some pointers, including to always wear your neckstrap when the camera is on a tripod. He mentioned losing a camera due to a fall...that's something I could appreciate, I nearly got out of photography entirely after a digital camera was either lost or stolen on my way back from a family gathering. Losing both the camera (which I had bought recently) and some photos that could never be replaced soured me badly.

I do have damage/breakage protection on my camera....but I still didn't want to see what would have happened if my DSLR took a tumble.

On Sunday morning, I got up very early and headed out to an area called Crawford Notch, which is a mountain pass located near the foot of Mt. Washington. I had my tripod set up to capture a huge was trying to get a shot of a waterfall that cascades down this enormous rocky gorge., but the snow was surrounding the waterfall was making for a difficult shot. Between the water, the snow, and the exposure (very windy), my head was starting to hurt. I stepped to the side of the tripod and leaned against the fence. I'm reaching to pull the camera off the tripod...when I hear the sound of an animal, or what I think is an animal. I just froze still in one place. Maybe I am still enough, I could capture another cool wildlife photo!

I remain stock still, with my side against the fence post. heard the sound again, I looked around, and then saw something stunning. The wind had picked up something fierce on the opposite side of the notch, which caused a couple of rocks to bounce partway down a slope. The snow cover cushioned the sound to where it sounded like the thump of a larger animal. I took a moment to take in the rocks, when WHOOSH! A fierce blast of cold air blew across. The top-heavy tripod pitched forward, the DSLR acting like a sail. It clanked against tapered part of the fence. Had my neck strap not been restraining it, the assembly could have nosedived in to the gorge. If that had happened, there would have been no way of recovering it.

So, lesson proven, Bill is always right...or something like that :D

In all seriousness Bill...thanks again. I see MANY photographers who do not wear neckstraps when they have their cameras on tripods...I really appreciate knowing the importance before I had to learn the hard way. You might have just saved me $2500!

On a different note....I think its high time for me to get insured!

Latest Discussions