I'm buying my first camera ... I hope.

Flea

Beating you all over those fries!
MT Mentor
Reaction score
I'd love some advice if you wouldn't mind.

In short, I have a couple of immediate needs for it. First, I'm moving and of course it would be useful for documentation. But better yet, after slapping the moving truck on the butt I want to do my own travel as a fun road trip, along the historic Oregon Trail route. And of course capture all my friends and local sights here before I leave.

I need something as idiot-proof as possible, because I've only ever used disposable cameras before. I'm pretty clueless about photography. It has to be digital, and I'd like something in the low to mid price range. In a perfect world, I'd have it my hot little paws within 48 hours so I can take it to a conference I'm attending this week too.

I'd appreciate any suggestions ... thanks!

Bob Hubbard

Retired
MT Mentor
Founding Member
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/

I'd suggest hitting the local Best Buy, and checking out their pocket cameras by Nikon, Canon, Sony, Olympus and Kodak. Any that you like, jot down the model and look up reviews for it at the link above, and at Amazon.com. I've used cameras from all 5 vendors and been happy.

Carol

Crazy like a...
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I bought my Canon G10 (midrange) and my DSLR from Best Buy, main reason is because their extended warranty will cover just about any kind of accidental damage. I had my G10 out for service after the picture quality started degrading, they replaced it with a rebuilt unit, no questions asked. Secondary reason: they are just up the block from me. :D

OP
Flea

Flea

MT Mentor
Reaction score
Very cool! Let the research commence ...

Jade Tigress

RAWR
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I'm by no means a "photographer". I got a nice, simple digital camera for Christmas and I love it.

It's the Nikon Cool Pix. It's easy to use and for my purposes (friends, family, pets, holidays, etc.), takes very nice photos.

MBuzzy

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
We're a hardcore Nikon family....D300, D90, 5 Nikon lenses and a coolpix, love them all!

My biggest suggestion is FIRST figure out what you NEED to do, then figure out what you WANT to do, then figure out if you know enough to do it, THEN pick the camera!

OP
Flea

Flea

MT Mentor
Reaction score
Whoo!

I departed from my usual habit of several weeks of obsessive research today by simply walking into Best Buy and grabbing the one I liked best. It was a little more that I originally intended to spend, but I'm really excited about it. I just came home and plugged it in, and I'll have some fun playing around with it before packing it along for my conference this weekend.

Thanks for the advice, everyone!

DSCW350B.png

Jade Tigress

RAWR
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Whoo!

I departed from my usual habit of several weeks of obsessive research today by simply walking into Best Buy and grabbing the one I liked best. It was a little more that I originally intended to spend, but I'm really excited about it. I just came home and plugged it in, and I'll have some fun playing around with it before packing it along for my conference this weekend.

Thanks for the advice, everyone!

DSCW350B.png

Cool! Have fun and post some pics for us! :) :asian:

5rings

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
Best Buy offers the most camera for the money, other than Cosco....but alil extra money spent will give lots more options.....Try Best Buys, "PowerShot SX20 by Canon".
Have Fun!

OP
Flea

Flea

MT Mentor
Reaction score
I'd like to show off a little of my handiwork, but I only know how to insert an image from another website. How can I do it directly from my computer?

Blindside

Grandmaster
Founding Member
Reaction score
I'd like to show off a little of my handiwork, but I only know how to insert an image from another website. How can I do it directly from my computer?

I think you have to be a supporting member to attach pics.

jks9199

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
If you're not a Supporting Member, you can always simply provide the link to a Photobucket, Flickr, or similar account for people to follow, too...

OP
Flea

Flea

MT Mentor
Reaction score
My Sony turned out to be defective - after going through a couple of batteries and chargers and still only getting about 5 shots per charge, I gave it back to the store. Then I replaced it with something a little less fancy - the Nikon Coolpix.

Here, for your amusement, are some of my early efforts. Keep in mind this is the first camera I've ever owned, so I have a learning curve ahead ...

Picture029.jpg
My city skyline.

Picture018.jpg
Me being a smartass on the Chicago Metra line.

Picture004.jpg
My dog doing what he does best.

Picture011.jpg
DBSA 2009 Chapter of the year baby!!

These were all taken with the Sony, and now that I see the first shot blown up I'm glad I returned the camera. It's supposed to compensate for motion, and apparently it didn't in that first shot. I like it anyway. Feedback is welcome, especially wildly ecstatic praise.

Bob Hubbard

Retired
MT Mentor
Founding Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
night shooting is a challenge because you need longer exposures to catch the limited light. Best shooting is done on a tripod to help eliminate shake. Otherwise, decent shots.

OP
Flea

Flea

MT Mentor
Reaction score
Thank you! That means a lot, coming from a professional. I'll post a couple more when I get a chance.

Bob Hubbard

Retired
MT Mentor
Founding Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Please do. :)

I'm struggling with fireworks shots. I only get a few hours a year to practice and just can't get the nack yet. Night shots, tripod, a couple second exposure, right around dusk when the skys still a little blue and I can get good shots.

The group shot, pull in a little tighter in the framing. Guy in the blue should be in closer, the lady holding the plaque a hair farther over with a similar adjustment to the lady behind you to let a little more light hit her face. Gent with the glasses a hair more over as well so you can see his whole face. Group shots are hard as no matter how you pose folks, they drift. I've suggested staples to hold em in place at times. :)

I like the subway shot. It's different. :) Dog shot could be a hair lower just to get a little more paw in the shot.

ok, I nitpicked. :)

Aikicomp

Purple Belt
Reaction score
Funny you should post about getting a new camera.

I just bought my wife a Olympus E-3 DSLR body with two different Zuiko lenses, extra battery, bag, compact flash cards and a usb to compact flash card adapter for her mother's day gift. Her last camera was an Olympus C-2100 ultra-zoom and needed to be upgraded.

You DO NOT want to know what it cost :erg: (although Bob H probably does), however, she is a good mother, a great wife and deserves it. I was happy I could do this for her.
icon7.gif

She is a photography nut and has a natural eye, with no formal training she has had professionals tell her that her work is great!
icon7.gif
icon6.gif

Good luck with your picture taking and have fun.
icon14.gif

Michael

Latest Discussions