Calling Somebody's Dojo A McDojo Is Offensive

Mider

Brown Belt
Reaction score
So.... according to you, every Kenjutsu school is a McDojo? It's not exactly useful for defending yourself in todays world.
actually you could use it with other objects...are you five?

do you think a school like this isn’t a mcDojo?

maybe you should use some common sense like an adult and stop trying to impress the teens in here

Mider

Brown Belt
Reaction score
I understand your sentiment, but there are many ‘legitimate martial arts’ that won’t help the student consistently defend themselves against an uncooperative, fully-resisting, aggressive assailant.

I think a McDojo is one where the provenance of the techniques is deliberately misrepresented to lend the art an air of ancient superiority because all know, old things are much better than modern things 🙄😉
What legitimate art won’t help a student against an uncooperative assailant?

Rich Parsons

A Student of Martial Arts
Founding Member
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
actually you could use it with other objects...are you five?

maybe you should use some common sense like an adult and stop trying to impress the teens in here

Hi Mider,

I am confused.
You have stated that is a dojo doesn't teach self defense or things that could be used as self defense then it is useless or a McDojo .
OK

Then you state here that DD is to use common sense as the techniques could be used for self defense by translating them to another object.

So is it possible that even the worse schools be what ever definition (as you asked for people to define define) still have something to offer, such as Run before engage and physical activity and ... well anything that could be used to defend themselves.

Just curious as the circle has closed and I am confused by the logic.

PS: I teach FMA, and use improvised weapons, my favorite was a full tuna fish can I found in a parking lot.
I have degrees in Computer Science and work as an engineer , with minors in Math, and Logic (Philosophy).

So I get improvised.
I get common sense - I design stuff all day / week / month / year / career long for people who seem to not get it or not have it.
I get some schools are more sport.
I get some schools are more self defense.

Do you teach Grappling with a knife? Because if you don't I could easily argue that it is a common weapon and people will also end up being grappled.
Where does it end?
Fire arms? Yes I have been trained to use one, and I appreciate clearing, bring online and firing before the target is able to engage.

I am really curious.

BrendanF

Purple Belt
Reaction score

What makes you think it is?

Do you think 'Bullshido' and 'McDojo' mean the same thing?

FWIW that is Iida Hiroo of Daito ryu Muden Juku - a legitimate teacher of Daito ryu Aikijujutsu, the art studied and modified by Ueshiba Morihei to create Aikido.

Mider

Brown Belt
Reaction score
What makes you think it is?

Do you think 'Bullshido' and 'McDojo' mean the same thing?

FWIW that is Iida Hiroo of Daito ryu Muden Juku - a legitimate teacher of Daito ryu Aikijujutsu, the art studied and modified by Ueshiba Morihei to create Aikido.
I’m done arguing with you, later

Mider

Brown Belt
Reaction score
Hi Mider,

I am confused.
You have stated that is a dojo doesn't teach self defense or things that could be used as self defense then it is useless or a McDojo .
OK

Then you state here that DD is to use common sense as the techniques could be used for self defense by translating them to another object.

So is it possible that even the worse schools be what ever definition (as you asked for people to define define) still have something to offer, such as Run before engage and physical activity and ... well anything that could be used to defend themselves.

Just curious as the circle has closed and I am confused by the logic.

PS: I teach FMA, and use improvised weapons, my favorite was a full tuna fish can I found in a parking lot.
I have degrees in Computer Science and work as an engineer , with minors in Math, and Logic (Philosophy).

So I get improvised.
I get common sense - I design stuff all day / week / month / year / career long for people who seem to not get it or not have it.
I get some schools are more sport.
I get some schools are more self defense.

Do you teach Grappling with a knife? Because if you don't I could easily argue that it is a common weapon and people will also end up being grappled.
Where does it end?
Fire arms? Yes I have been trained to use one, and I appreciate clearing, bring online and firing before the target is able to engage.

I am really curious.
A Dojo that says they’re teaching you self defense should do that.

and yes you seem to lack common sense, it’s the running Krueger effect I think. Have a nice day

Mider

Brown Belt
Reaction score
Just trying to get a sense of where you are coming from.
I watched the chi energy video on you of your last post and yes, that is in my spoof category. However, to me this is outside the realm or definition of a McDojo for me.
So, where is your point coming from?
Define coming from?

Mider

Brown Belt
Reaction score
Just trying to get a sense of where you are coming from.
I watched the chi energy video on you of your last post and yes, that is in my spoof category. However, to me this is outside the realm or definition of a McDojo for me.
So, where is your point coming from?
I’m sorry but you asked me a silly question...I’m wondering as an adult why you wouldn’t have the common sense to not know what a mcDojo is

i mean This is a discussion...but in real life when some young kid learns this nonsense or a woman looking to protect herself And finds it doesn’t work and gets hurt...I mean yeah...I’m just saying someone like you should know better.

dvcochran

Grandmaster
Reaction score
I’m still waiting for you to define define, I mean have you heard of a dictionary or Google?
def·i·ni·tion
noun

1. 1.
    a statement of the exact meaning of a word, especially in a dictionary.
    "a dictionary definition of the verb"

the degree of distinctness in outline of an object, image, or sound, especially of an image in a photograph or on a screen.
    "the clarity and definition of pictures can be aided by using computer graphics"

lklawson

Grandmaster
Reaction score
In what context? European fencing with the smallsword was considered "self defense" at the time (ever wonder where the term "fence" comes from?). 19th Century bare knuckle boxing was considered "The Art of Defense" but strangely none of the old manuals have a ton to say about defending against a knife. See where this is going?

and yes you seem to lack common sense, it’s the running Krueger effect I think. Have a nice day
Running. Yes, go on...

lklawson

Grandmaster
Reaction score
I’m sorry but you asked me a silly question...I’m wondering as an adult why you wouldn’t have the common sense to not know what a mcDojo is
So have you managed to get everyone to agree with your definition yet? While you're at it explain the purpose of Kata. That should be just as fun.

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score

Okay, and what if the dojo doesn't make that claim?

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score

i mean This is a discussion...but in real life when some young kid learns this nonsense or a woman looking to protect herself And finds it doesn’t work and gets hurt...I mean yeah...I’m just saying someone like you should know better.
Not really a silly question. He's trying to understand your point - that's part of communication. If he responds to a misunderstanding, then his response wouldn't really add to the discussion.

Flying Crane

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score

What if I decide that your school is a McDojo? Can I call it a McDojo and badmouth it all over town? Just because I have decided that it meets my definition?

Mider

Brown Belt
Reaction score
What if I decide that your school is a McDojo? Can I call it a McDojo and badmouth it all over town? Just because I have decided that it meets my definition?
I don’t have a school...but what if you decided Bas Ruttens school was a mcDojo...is that true, would anyone listen?