Calling Somebody's Dojo A McDojo Is Offensive

Mider

Brown Belt
Reaction score
Not really a silly question. He's trying to understand your point - that's part of communication. If he responds to a misunderstanding, then his response wouldn't really add to the discussion.
The point is what if some small female wants to learn rape prevention and the dojo is just looking for money...thus I question the sense in the question

Mider

Brown Belt
Reaction score
So have you managed to get everyone to agree with your definition yet? While you're at it explain the purpose of Kata. That should be just as fun.
the Fact that you think a gym that teaches trash isn’t a mcDojo says more about you then me bro lol

Mider

Brown Belt
Reaction score
In what context? European fencing with the smallsword was considered "self defense" at the time (ever wonder where the term "fence" comes from?). 19th Century bare knuckle boxing was considered "The Art of Defense" but strangely none of the old manuals have a ton to say about defending against a knife. See where this is going?

Running. Yes, go on...
If you don’t know how then maybe you have more to learn and lack common sense, shrug

Mider

Brown Belt
Reaction score
Not really a silly question. He's trying to understand your point - that's part of communication. If he responds to a misunderstanding, then his response wouldn't really add to the discussion.
I respect your opinion I just don’t agree

Flying Crane

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
I don’t have a school...but what if you decided Bas Ruttens school was a mcDojo...is that true, would anyone listen?
I don’t care about Bas Rutten. I barely know who he is. I was asking about you.

You trained under somebody, even if you don’t teach or run a school yourself. Can I badmouth that school and the teacher and the students all over town, if I decide it meets my definition of McDojo? Can I tell everyone that all the students coming out of that school (which would include you) suck?

What if you disagree with my assessment? How do you counter my badmouthing it (if you care at all; maybe you don’t)? Maybe your teacher wants to counter my smear campaign because I am undermining the confidence that his students have in him. But nevertheless, I have decided it is a McDojo and I have made it my mission to tell everybody, even to the point of forcing him to close the school permanently because, you know, McDojos need to be shut down, and I have made the decision that his school is a McDojo.

Do I have a right to do that? Do I have the right to determine what level of quality is acceptable, or how that quality must be measured, or what training methodology is acceptable, or how other people run their schools?

Wing Woo Gar

Senior Master
Reaction score
I don’t care about Bas Rutten. I barely know who he is. I was asking about you.

You trained under somebody, even if you don’t teach or run a school yourself. Can I badmouth that school and the teacher and the students all over town, if I decide it meets my definition of McDojo? Can I tell everyone that all the students coming out of that school (which would include you) suck?

What if you disagree with my assessment? How do you counter my badmouthing it (if you care at all; maybe you don’t)? Maybe your teacher wants to counter my smear campaign because I am undermining the confidence that his students have in him. But nevertheless, I have decided it is a McDojo and I have made it my mission to tell everybody, even to the point of forcing him to close the school permanently because, you know, McDojos need to be shut down, and I have made the decision that his school is a McDojo.

Do I have a right to do that? Do I have the right to determine what level of quality is acceptable, or what training methodology is acceptable, or how other people run their schools?
oooh, you big meanie!

Flying Crane

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
Oh it was a callback to earlier comments. We arent supposed to list schools that we think are bs. Forum rules. More bad jokes from me.
Ah well, I wasn’t going to list it on Martialtalk. I was going to go to the city where the school is and plaster flyers all over town and take out a series of advertisements in the local newspapers and on the local television channels and the local Nextdoor community and Facebook and make negative comments on the school’s YouTube channel and stuff.

Because, ya know, I’ve got that toxic combination of nothing better to do with my time and an ego the size of the sun mixed with the gnawing suspicion that I ought to have moved out of my parents’ basement a couple decades ago…

Wing Woo Gar

Senior Master
Reaction score
Ah well, I wasn’t going to list it on Martialtalk. I was going to go to the city where the school is and plaster flyers all over town and take out a series of advertisements in the local newspapers and on the local television channels and the local Nextdoor community and Facebook and make negative comments on the school’s YouTube channel and stuff.
Why not just go in and slap your thighs and challenge the teacher?

Latest Discussions