Calling Somebody's Dojo A McDojo Is Offensive

lklawson

Grandmaster
Reaction score
I'm sure they have. McDojo.com is owned by McDonald's I believe. IF not them, the Lizard Illuminati.

Anybody who tries to commercial use "Mc" gets super-sued.
It was actually owned by the folks who eventually started Bullshido.net and was basically the same forum. I read some on it way back when. Rumor is that McDonalds sued and they changed.

lklawson

Grandmaster
Reaction score
I have never heard of this occurring in modern times. I think it must be all the hormones they’re injecting into beef cattle 😉
Never really stopped. It's actually less now than before but still happens sometimes. Never heard of the Chicago's "Dojo Wars" or "Dojo Storming?"

Heck, Gracie devotees had gotten a reputation of just showing up to other martial arts schools and challenging everyone from the head instructor on down. Apparently that has become less common.

Peace favor your sword,
Kirk

Wing Woo Gar

Senior Master
Reaction score
Never really stopped. It's actually less now than before but still happens sometimes. Never heard of the Chicago's "Dojo Wars" or "Dojo Storming?"

Heck, Gracie devotees had gotten a reputation of just showing up to other martial arts schools and challenging everyone from the head instructor on down. Apparently that has become less common.

Peace favor your sword,
Kirk
There is a good story of it happening to Rickson Gracie in L.A.

Steve

Mostly Harmless
Reaction score
I'm sure they have. McDojo.com is owned by McDonald's I believe. IF not them, the Lizard Illuminati.

Anybody who tries to commercial use "Mc" gets super-sued.
I'm so gullible, I checked. FYI, the domain is for sale for a cool $3,500

While that might be out of one's price range, there are a lot of close options that are available for a song.

Screenshot 2021-12-13 122657.jpg

You're probably right about the lawsuits, though. :)

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
For what it's worth, I see a lot of potential value in the idea of a club format. The club/non-profit model would definitely have a different vibe than going into a business. There would be more of a community feel. I don't know if it would affect quality one way or the other, but the culture of the school would certainly be different, and I could see it drawing a different type of student.

In America, I would guess that if someone wanted to learn European sword, a HEMA club would have a similar culture to what you describe in the UK. I know that many (though not all) judo schools are run as non-profit clubs, and they seem to do okay.
Ive seen Aikido schools set up this way (some even seek out an instructor only after forming the club). It does have a nice vibe, and there’s a lot of commitment to the group. That happens with some for-profit schools, for sure, but it seems more likely with a club or non-profit.

Alan0354

Master of Arts
Reaction score
What is so wrong about McDonald? It is a huge success throughout the decades, still pretty much #1 hamburger fast food. It has a certain standard, what make you think some other boutique burger place is better?

Back to MA school, just because it's popular and has dojo everywhere doesn't make it not as good, you judge by going there and look. I would not call it an insult just by naming similar to McDonald.

There are enough bulshitdo school too.

Steve

Mostly Harmless
Reaction score
What is so wrong about McDonald? It is a huge success throughout the decades, still pretty much #1 hamburger fast food. It has a certain standard, what make you think some other boutique burger place is better?

Back to MA school, just because it's popular and has dojo everywhere doesn't make it not as good, you judge by going there and look. I would not call it an insult just by naming similar to McDonald.

There are enough bulshitdo school too.
Strictly speaking to McDonald's, I’m not against it. My first job was at McDs and we made pretty good food. But the quality of the ingredients is without a doubt inferior and they cook for speed and consistency. Only point is, you can definitely do better.

Shoot, get some good russet taters and some beef tallow, and I guarantee your fries will be better than McDonald’s. The trick is to fry them twice. But that’s inefficient. Better for you, too. Not health food, but less bad for you than McDs fries 🍟

Alan0354

Master of Arts
Reaction score
Strictly speaking to McDonald's, I’m not against it. My first job was at McDs and we made pretty good food. But the quality of the ingredients is without a doubt inferior and they cook for speed and consistency. Only point is, you can definitely do better.

Shoot, get some good russet taters and some beef tallow, and I guarantee your fries will be better than McDonald’s. The trick is to fry them twice. But that’s inefficient. Better for you, too. Not health food, but less bad for you than McDs fries 🍟
Yes, it can be a lot better, but also can be worst. I love their fillet of fish burger and my big boss loves their big breakfast!!! I don't care for their burgers. I never eat fries, so no comment.( I eat too much unhealthy food already, I don't need those fries!!)

She like those egg McMuffin also.

Completely off topic, another famous fast food chain that is not so bad, the Pander Express for Chinese food. You can get much worst Chinese food in some restaurants. We even ordered food delivery for parties from them before. It's really not bad speaking as a Chinese that have enough experience in both eating and cooking Chinese food. AND we live in area I can go to a few Chinese restaurants by walking from home( I mean within 5 minutes, not marathon walk!!! ) So don't judge by the type, try it.

Last edited:

BrendanF

Purple Belt
Reaction score
Had a McDonalds quarter pounder with cheese for the first time in over a decade about a week ago.

I now know why it had been so long.

Gyakuto

Senior Master
Supporting Member
Reaction score

Peace favor your sword,
Kirk
Wow, I had no idea. It’s so uncouth.

Gyakuto

Senior Master
Supporting Member
Reaction score

Have I diverted the path of this thread?😂

I’ll skilfully cajole it back:

All ‘martial arts’, without direct affiliation to their country of origin and a chief instructor from that country (preferable with an inscrutable and pretty cool accent), is a McDojo. True Budo keikogi must be white in colour with a maximum of one, tastefully embroidered (strictly in the country of origin’s own script) on the left breast. Belt colours must be limited to white, green, brown and black and the level of black belt grade must only be ascertainable by asking the wearer and not silly tags. All techniques have to have been evaluated and codified by the ‘committee of authenticity’ which, naturally, is in the country of origin with a panel of top masters, all with white beards and calloused knuckles. Deviating from these laws will result in excommunication and the application of a Dim Mak death touch (with ‘3 years’ dialled-in).

There…I think that’s reasonable, measured and clear…😑

Xue Sheng

All weight is underside
Reaction score
Another, legitimate, Chinese, Cantonese actually, saying

Anything that walks, swims, crawls, or flies with its back to heaven is edible.

Another one told to me by a Cantonese woman I used to know
"Cantonese eat anything with legs, except tables and chairs"

And another one...more geared to me I think

Better to be deprived of food for three days, than tea for one

dvcochran

Grandmaster
Reaction score
I agree with much of your point here, except the part about expectation. We have research that solidly shows it at least sometimes works backwards: how much something is priced affects the judgment of its value, rather than just the expectation against which it is judged. This is seen in things as basic as blind wine tastings, where the same wine is presented twice - once as an inexpensive wine, and once as an expensive wine. It is nearly always judged as a better-tasting wine when thought to be expensive. There's sufficient evidence of this effect on other products and services to believe it likely comes into play sometimes with martial arts.
I think I get what you are saying but in the wine taste testing example there is quite a lot of bias established on the front end of the research study. Telling most people "this is the expensive wine" is going to skew their judgement. Especially if the study group are average wine connoisseur's. I am not much of a wine drinker so I would make some assumption that the more expensive wine taste better, especially since I don't really know what constitutes a 'good wine'.
Particularly when talking about a service I feel the expectation is easier defined, even if the person does not know a great deal about the service. So, you could just as easily 'dress up' the service being offered (happens all the time) and affect the judgement born on the service. But this would not greatly affect the expectation. If a person pursues a service to lose weight that is going to be their expectation. Judgement of the service may come down the road I fee.

Yamabushii

Green Belt
Reaction score
We were referring to "Dojo" schools ('generic' in general), you use the word, "team". A dear friend of mine is an Olympic Judo medalist, that was the USA Judo Team. They trained mercilessly. That said, he also trained during a time that, when you entered a place to learn any MA, you knew what you were getting into and whining was far less acceptable; I truly believe a Judge would have laughed you out of court. Times have changed in the US. When I have trained outside of the US, I got the worst (or best) of it as an American, but also only a little more than other students, they knew why they were there and accepted the fact that they were very likely to get hit. You also only refer to grappling arts. I do not believe that "style" has anything to do with it, it is a fact in America that it is most difficult to study seriously at all, but I do know that ALL should be studied, and seriously.
Are you saying this from a position of experience or as an educated guess? I see some truth in it but I also think that traditional martial arts and artists are falling behind the times in terms of practicality. There's way too much theory and so-called "deadly" techniques that are used as a scape goat, whereas the most hardcore schools tend to be boxing, BJJ, Muay Thai, and wrestling here in the U.S. but they don't boast about "deadly techniques" nor do you hear their schools complaining about insurance claims.

dvcochran

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Are you saying this from a position of experience or as an educated guess? I see some truth in it but I also think that traditional martial arts and artists are falling behind the times in terms of practicality. There's way too much theory and so-called "deadly" techniques that are used as a scape goat, whereas the most hardcore schools tend to be boxing, BJJ, Muay Thai, and wrestling here in the U.S. but they don't boast about "deadly techniques" nor do you hear their schools complaining about insurance claims.
I agree with this in part, but you would need to better define 'hard core' schools.